Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Amazon Dot
Some sort of scheme of this sort is already on the list. So we can look at it later on in the context of 5.1.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Or key_XXXX as an option. This would keep compatibility with all existing users.
We can add a Version=x statement to it to differentiate a new format. The obvious thing, I think, would be to assign a name to each key, like:

Kitchen=xxxx
LivingRoom=yyyy

Then that name would be the thing passed to your action, or maybe it could also be used as a replacement token in the paths to your actions, so that you could have different ones per room if you wanted to as well.

Presumably, if they ever actually provided an identifier, this same scheme could be migrated to use that easily enough.
Dean Roddey
Does the recently rolled out "echo spatial perception" offer anything that would be helpful here?
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
I think that's more to avoid two Echos hearing the same command and both responding, or perhaps the one further away responding.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:We can add a Version=x statement to it to differentiate a new format. The obvious thing, I think, would be to assign a name to each key, like:

Kitchen=xxxx
LivingRoom=yyyy

Then that name would be the thing passed to your action, or maybe it could also be used as a replacement token in the paths to your actions, so that you could have different ones per room if you wanted to as well.

Presumably, if they ever actually provided an identifier, this same scheme could be migrated to use that easily enough.
That makes a lot of sense!
I added feedback to request a device id to be implemented.

This seems to be the best solution to this problem. I "echo" Ron's desire to have this functionality. Sorry, couldnt resist the pun.
Amazon responded.

Quote:Hello,

Thanks for the great suggestion! I'll share your idea to have an ID on the Echos for the skills to know where the command came from with our Alexa development team.

Your feedback helps us improve your experience with Alexa. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the links below to tell us about your experience today.

Best regards,
Cris M.
Another possibility it to return the invocation name. I use a different one for each.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Driver for Amazon 4k Stick Darrie 3 81 01-15-2022, 02:21 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Amazon AWS Message kblagron 1 252 10-16-2021, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Amazon Echo integration rhosch 8 1,280 05-15-2021, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Bugman
  New Amazon Echo Support Dean Roddey 591 233,668 02-21-2018, 12:56 PM
  Amazon email re Alexa interface? Ron Haley 5 4,447 03-14-2017, 02:40 PM
  Google Home Integration using Amazon Echo Approach? Jnetto 4 4,294 12-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Jnetto
  Amazon echo driver Ron Haley 6 1,869 07-01-2016, 05:47 AM
Last Post: wuench