Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win10 - Watch out on this latest upgrade
I have the master server setup to install updates only when I tell it to, but it did it on its own with this last one. Here are a couple of problems I had:

1. It moved my Modem Port from Com2 to Com1, which caused the Caller ID function to not work. Took a couple of reboots and forcing the port to Com2 to get that one resolved.

2. It couldn't find the USB-UIRT driver, and I had to go to their website and download the Win7-Win8 drivers to get it back working.

3. Wiped out the multi-RDP option again - 2nd time in two weeks.

Hopefully these updates will start slowing down soon.
This is precisely why I took Dean's (and others') automation appliance concept and disabled the Windows Update service when I upgraded (reluctantly) my CQC master server to Win 10.

The Win 10 "I'll upgrade only when you tell me to" promise never seemed to work on other Win 10 machines, and I didn't trust it on my master server.
I had to do the same thing. BTW you can't reactivate Win10 with the update service disabled. It hosed up a couple of things on different systems for me, including the RDP patch, reinstalled some stuff, defaulted some settings, etc.

I am also in the process of upgrading my failing ESXi host and just discovered that you have to re-activate Win10 with any hardware changes, even under ESXi, and I just got off the phone with MS support and was told my OEM licenses that I paid for are invalid due to the hardware changes and I need to buy $199 Win10 licenses or go back to Windows 7.

So I will be replacing all of my Win10 VMs that don't activate with Linux. I may have to replace BlueIris with something Linux based. It just doesn't make sense to pay an additional $200 for every VM. Luckily the CQC VM license re-activated, this time.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
I think Win10 may be the thing that pushes me to go 100% linux...
win8 started that conversation, but win10 with all its malware like properties it what will be the last win straw so to speak...

I just need to find a good Linux CAD/CAM package and I am officially done with windows on my desktop...
oh, and I somehow need to get Dean to see the light and make a linuxy version of CQC....
that last one seems problematic... well, Win7 should be a viable CQC host for a while I hope...
maybe someone will make a non-evil windows clone?
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
wuench Wrote:So I will be replacing all of my Win10 VMs that don't activate with Linux. I may have to replace BlueIris with something Linux based. It just doesn't make sense to pay an additional $200 for every VM.

Post if you find a BI-replacement you like. I'm looking at the # of VMs I'd like to create so I have separation between app types, looking at my licenses, and then thinking

[Image: raw]
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
SomeWhatLost Wrote:oh, and I somehow need to get Dean to see the light and make a linuxy version of CQC....
that last one seems problematic... well, Win7 should be a viable CQC host for a while I hope...
maybe someone will make a non-evil windows clone?

Yeah - The fact that you need a full blown OS just to run a IV seems overkill. I can handle the MS on a win box but the IV needs to be light - Raspberry pi light

In the past I got around the license issues by having a technet subscription but they took that away from us.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
I kind of doubt that a pi could handle the graphics requirements of the IV. You don't see much CPU usage necessarily but partly that's because graphics cards on regular PCs are so powerful now, and the I/O speed between memory and graphics memory is blazing fast. But there's quite a lot of oomph involved for more graphics heavy interfaces.

Not to mention that Linux is pretty weak on the graphics/GUI front, AFAIK, with various different (non-built in) schemes in use and whatnot. Windows, whatever its faults, is pretty strong on this front and can provide a consistent graphics/windowing API across a broad range of hardware.

Anyhoo, presumably the HTML based client will remove some of this requirement anyway.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I just discovered that my Win10 license work if I install a Win10 ISO from scratch, unfortunately that means a full rebuild of those VMs. I tried to reinstall over the existing VM but Win10 wasn't having it.

The Pi has good graphics capabilities, it can run Kodi and it has fancy interfaces and plays uncompressed blu-ray movies with no buffering.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Or the odroid xu4. Much faster than the Pi.
just a fwiw, I currently am running/trying out Kubuntu on my desktop... (doing the live USB thingy so I don't have to actually install it, yet)

I quite happen to like it...

I will probably end up needing to create a local win7 VM, at least for the time being as there are a few things that still require windows...
  • my Zmodo security DVR... (wth? it runs Linux, why is it not compatible with a Linux desktop?) of course, I only really use that to see if the Pizza dude is here... but still, would be nice to know... I could end up starving... seems like a health risk not supporting Linux natively...
  • CQC servery/maintenance type stuff... I guess I could just RDP to the MS, and do it there... but still local is nice too...
  • my 3d printer requires windows...
  • Skype For Business apparently is not to linux friendly...

To Do list before really switching:
  • I still need to find a good cad/cam solution, LibreCAD is good for 2D cad... CamBAM has a linux port, so that covers my "Quick & Dirty 2.5D" needs, but still need a solidworks style 3d cad and a HSMworks/Sprut 4 axis CAM solution...
  • need to figure out how to calibrate my mouse... its one of those super twitchy gaming mice... really annoying for a desktop... how do you slow it down?
  • I am having issues with their RDP client... biggest one is that it doesn't seem to work... I just get a blue screen... I guess I could just use VNC, but RDP is just so much nicer...
  • need to find a good "Money" program, ie like quicken or something to balance checkbook/etc, in theory this should be easy... just need to figure out where to look...

so basically, my quest to live the vile land of windows is almost at an end...
I can almost taste the freedom...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beware of Latest Windows 10 Update kblagron 10 4,669 09-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  new server; win7 or win10, or win server rtarver 9 6,992 05-03-2017, 05:17 PM
  Template errors after upgrade to 4.8.3 avtexan 4 2,993 08-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Last Post: avtexan
  IV Admin Screens, or my latest stupidly complex idea IVB 0 1,931 07-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Double Upgrade Advice? ControlFreak 1 1,939 06-26-2016, 10:12 AM
  Problem installing latest beta Sacedog 14 7,567 12-30-2015, 04:19 PM
  upgrade with WES 2009? ControlFreak 3 2,469 12-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Last Post: ControlFreak
  can i upgrade from 4.1 to 4.8 indygreg 39 10,791 12-17-2015, 05:15 PM
  Need some details about OnPress/OnRelease in Upgrade mbrown 3 2,381 07-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Last Post: mbrown
  Help with new server and CQC upgrade royalj7 3 2,382 04-29-2012, 02:39 PM