Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win10 - Watch out on this latest upgrade
Came home yesterday from a weekend of camping to find my Master Server having rebooted itself due to a forced windows update which left several things not working. So this morning I went on a a Google hunt for a fix and here is what I found...

If you have Win10 Pro the following group policy change will give you back control control of your updates (so the article says) I just enabled the policy, we will see what happens...

If you are running the home edition there is a much more involved hack (since I am running all pro licenses I have not tried either one just sharing) where you enable WiFi metering and/or more complicated if hardwired Ethernet connection.
IVB Wrote:I read up on the best Linux flavor to start with, which is where I ended up with Ubuntu. But its still horrifically manual to do basic things. Am I missing something? For $140 (W7/W8 Pro), I'd just write the check.
your research methodology is flawed...
Kubuntu is the easiest flavor...
starts with ubuntu, and then adds KDE and a bunch of other stuff to make it super simple...
it's whole stated purpose in life is to be the easiest...

for smb, just click the network tab thingy and either map a folder or browse... how hard is that?
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
I hadn't even heard of kubuntu until this post. Does anyone other than you use it?

I did a bunch of google searches on linux distributions, Kubuntu isn't on the first page of google results for any of them. There were 15 others that were considered "best in segment", so I apologize if I didn't go to page 2 to hunt down #16. I'm a little skittish on niche solutions though, that rarely ends well for me :-)
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
IVB Wrote:I'm a little skittish on niche solutions though, that rarely ends well for me :-)
at this point, has any solution ended well for you?:-D

as for which buntu to choose, click here....

but at the end of the day, any buntu is still buntu... you could load up the KDE desk top and all the other things they include, I can load up gnome... but based on your description, I don't think I want too...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Well, some of us try and do more than just automate 5-10 different technologies, SWL :-)

Whats the update flow for derivatives? Does K* have its own updates, but you have to wait for them to absorb ubuntu updates so that could be months? I stick with Nexus phones as HTC & Samsung both take far too long to issue updates to Android, how long does K* take?

At this point if the time issue is addressed, I think I have everything working. Got SQLServer working yesterday, and Dean will fix CQC in the next few days. PlayOn and BlueIris worked right off the bat, I figured out Plex works if I only add 1 library at a time and wait for it to finish scanning before adding the next one. I haven't tried moving the Adobe Lightroom catalog & multiplex of files, i'll get to that this afternoon.

If everything wraps up in the next 1-2 days in the VM arena i'll likely kick the can down the road until I have to leave W7. I'm sure after I get savvy on all this i'll realize I accidentally created a bottleneck and will look into the latest mostest bestest linux distro then.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beware of Latest Windows 10 Update kblagron 10 4,535 09-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  new server; win7 or win10, or win server rtarver 9 6,865 05-03-2017, 05:17 PM
  Template errors after upgrade to 4.8.3 avtexan 4 2,947 08-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Last Post: avtexan
  IV Admin Screens, or my latest stupidly complex idea IVB 0 1,902 07-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Double Upgrade Advice? ControlFreak 1 1,911 06-26-2016, 10:12 AM
  Problem installing latest beta Sacedog 14 7,471 12-30-2015, 04:19 PM
  upgrade with WES 2009? ControlFreak 3 2,431 12-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Last Post: ControlFreak
  can i upgrade from 4.1 to 4.8 indygreg 39 10,706 12-17-2015, 05:15 PM
  Need some details about OnPress/OnRelease in Upgrade mbrown 3 2,339 07-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Last Post: mbrown
  Help with new server and CQC upgrade royalj7 3 2,342 04-29-2012, 02:39 PM