Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win10 - Watch out on this latest upgrade
I went that way a while ago too... on an Ubuntu Gnome distribution at the moment. I quite like it as well.

For RDP I've had good luck with Remmina. Just not sure if it requires some Gnome libraries, but those would install fine on KDE. Check out WINE to maybe try and emulate/wrap some of the simpler windows programs like camera/printer perhaps to run on Linux without full VM.

On a seperate note, I keep getting this nag on my CQC/Win10 Pro machine to update to the latest updates which I want to avoid for a bit based on this thread. I've turned off auto updating in the registry, does anyone know how to stop the nag screens too? They are quite invasive and impossible to ignore for long on a CQC IV. So annoying...
TBH I've been playing with Ubuntu given the ease of spinning up a VM and I'm going the other way. I was big into Unix in the mid 90s, was writing some fairly large/complex daemons to get stuff done. I was pleasantly surprised by how Linux has a new GUI sitting on top, but sooooo much manual editing of files required to get basic stuff done.

I read up on the best Linux flavor to start with, which is where I ended up with Ubuntu. But its still horrifically manual to do basic things. Am I missing something? For $140 (W7/W8 Pro), I'd just write the check.

The privacy issues with W10 are a whole other ball of wax, not looking forward to the day I have to choose between manually spinning dishes on sticks to get Linux to work or giving up security *and* privacy for convenience. I'm hoping someone comes up with a Linux distribution for those who don't feel like dealing with that, even if it costs $20-$50.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I can see why you would say that for sure and to some degree it's completely true. It can be horribly tough to do some things that seem so basic at times. IMO though it's I think what you're used to/comfortable with as well. I personally made the switch a long time ago and Win98 and a bit XP were the Win OS's I was comfortable with. I now have a hard time doing things in Win10. Stuff I could tweak or install quick/easy in Ubuntu are struggles for me in Windows 10 and I have to google how to do everything now. I feel like I used to when I switched to Linux all over again except the opposite direction.

Yes some stuff looks more manual like still editing text based configs etc, but in some cases that's also the beauty perhaps. What drove me away partly was MS always trying to outsmart me and do stuff in the OS on my behalf which I didn't like. (forced updates for example).
IVB Wrote:I was big into Unix in the mid 90s, was writing some fairly large/complex daemons to get stuff done.
wow, your like really old dude...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
SomeWhatLost Wrote:wow, your like really old dude...

* you're....
When I was a kid we could only afford one digital bit between me and all my siblings. We had to share it.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
oh look at you with your fancy digital bit. We just had an analog bit to share. On or Off. And only one kid was allowed to be On at any one time.
IVB Wrote:* you're....
When you reach your advanced years, does it even matter any more?
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
IVB Wrote:but sooooo much manual editing of files required to get basic stuff done.
just curious really, what have you had to edit manually?
so far, other than verifying my IP (just making sure it got one assigned... I just wanted to know...)
and a couple manual package installs (to see what they did, and they did not show up in the discover app thingy, so had to do them manually)
I really have not done anything with the console, and I have not had to manually edited one config file...
I have one VM dedicated to Plex and was trying to figure out how to automount a Synology share. The google results all discussed A)instability of doing such, and B) a series of manual files that needed to be edited in order to reliably do such a thing. Given that windows is a single right-click map-network-drive and it'll work every time guaranteed, I opted to just suck up the loss of a M$ license.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beware of Latest Windows 10 Update kblagron 10 4,535 09-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  new server; win7 or win10, or win server rtarver 9 6,865 05-03-2017, 05:17 PM
  Template errors after upgrade to 4.8.3 avtexan 4 2,947 08-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Last Post: avtexan
  IV Admin Screens, or my latest stupidly complex idea IVB 0 1,902 07-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Double Upgrade Advice? ControlFreak 1 1,911 06-26-2016, 10:12 AM
  Problem installing latest beta Sacedog 14 7,471 12-30-2015, 04:19 PM
  upgrade with WES 2009? ControlFreak 3 2,431 12-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Last Post: ControlFreak
  can i upgrade from 4.1 to 4.8 indygreg 39 10,706 12-17-2015, 05:15 PM
  Need some details about OnPress/OnRelease in Upgrade mbrown 3 2,339 07-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Last Post: mbrown
  Help with new server and CQC upgrade royalj7 3 2,342 04-29-2012, 02:39 PM