Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I 'count' fields?
What is the best practice for how to do this?

Example - I would like to see the TOTAL number of lights currently turned on. If there are 6 lights on in the house, I would like to have the number 6 displayed in the IV. if i turn one off, that number would change to 5, or if i turn another on it would increment to 7.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to best do this?
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
the way i did it upon asking alexa about # of open windows was to set an LVar to 0, then if-then adding 1 if on, cycling through all. I only had 16ish windows to count though, you have a ton of lights.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
That's something I'd probably fall back to CML for, given that it's sort of unwieldy if you have a lot of them. And it sort of depends on how often you need to know this. Do you only need to know it once in a while when a user invokes an action, or does you need to know it all the time?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
simple way - triggers.
As a light is >0 add one to a variable driver field.
as a light = 0 (off) subtract one from a variable driver field.

You need to set a trigger for a change on every field.

Basically as IVB indicated.

A macro could do it but it can lag behind the actual state. If you ran it say every minute it could be up to 60 seconds out of date. Again, I would use a variable field driver to hold the value.

The best method would be to have it added to the driver - depending on your CML skills you could modify the driver yourself and create a new field and have it count the number of lights on and off.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Ultimately, I guess that's a good one for the Logic Server, a new type that treats any source field whose expression comes out true as a 1, else a zero, and so maintains a running count of the number of course fields that meet some criteria.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
The way I did it was to use the Logic server and a sum function and then set my trigger against the Logic Server value then do what IVB said. Downside to Logic Server is it only allowed me 8 lights to track per Logic Server field. As I add lights I will add a second field. I use UPB so orinigally I thought a trigger may have been On Load however UPB does not use that event type so that is why I went this route.
System: WHS, UPB, Plex, Elk
Drivers: Autopatch, DataLog DB, DTV IP, GC-100, IRA, Logic Server, Variable Driver, Weather Underground
Ugh - I have like 46 bulbs. I guess I should just 'head down, power through' and use triggers and variables until a better solution comes along (to be read as: until a solution I understand comes along Smile.

It's probably time I read the docs for the logic server so I can start to use it, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it right now.

Dean, for my purposes, this would be counting and displaying all the time in the IV.
do the needful ...
Then the logic server is the way forward for you. Simple enough to do as its all through a GUI. I would still use a field in a variable driver as the "output" field.

If you use the logic server you wont need triggers - the server does the comparison itself and internally triggers the function you have assigned to it. Its actually really simple the logic server.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
it's totally foreign to me.

what type of field would I make for this? the lights are True/False, so i can't really 'count' anything. i looked for docs, but i dont see one for the logic server, either.
do the needful ...
ignore, wrong thread.
do the needful ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The maximum collection node count has been exceeded. Max=0 NightLight 5 1,823 02-28-2020, 08:28 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Can't add fields to ElkDev driver rbroders 4 2,246 08-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  TrayMon: "Maximum collection node count exceeded" IVB 6 2,723 06-24-2018, 11:21 AM
  Lumagen Radiance fields missing dlmorgan999 14 8,613 02-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Last Post: dlmorgan999
  Field Check Box fields George M 2 2,438 01-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Last Post: George M
  Cant use fields of Denon driver in global actions George M 4 3,947 12-18-2016, 06:21 PM
  Persistent Fields Ron Haley 1 1,694 05-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  Logic Server Fields Limit zra 11 5,565 03-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Last Post: zra
  Feature Request: Fields in Error per driver IVB 13 5,648 12-28-2015, 09:42 AM
  Best way to iterate fields and check for a value? dlmorgan999 2 1,905 07-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Last Post: dlmorgan999