Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z-Wave Idea
So I had a thought on z-wave. You know how the Z-Stick itself acts as a master controller: you walk around, push the button on the stick, and associate your devices to it? And then when you plug it in via USB, it uses the Z-Wave Serial API so you can interact with your z-wave network?

Well, here's what I was thinking - and I am fairly sure that we already have the basics of a driver written for the old USB stick, so why not update it to support the new Z-Stick? BUT, and please keep reading, instead of actually going through the trouble of writing a driver to actually use said z-stick, all that you do it provide us with a way to update the VRC0P controller?

So the workflow would go like this - walk around and include all devices into the z-stick (including VRC0P). plug stick into your master server, load up the driver client thingy, and there will be a button we click to update the VRC0P controller.

thoughts?
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
I'm not sure of the mechanics of that. It might be doable. Actually, if we could afford the SDK and could therefore get the needed info on the secure message stuff, I'd be happy to dump the VRC0P and go back to the stick. I understand the whole thing a lot better than I did long ago when I first did the USB stick driver, and it provides access to a lot more functionality that the VRC0P does.

But, anyhoo, in terms of the update thing. I don't think it's just a matter of telling the USB stick to do the exchange. The actual master controller has to manage that process, so it has to act like a real master controller, at least for that replication process. I do have the replication code from the USB stick driver, but that's as a secondary, not as a primary. I don't know how different they are.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
i thought the z-stick *was* the master controller. but, isn't the SDK really cheap now? i think it's only like $500 or so to get access to the SDK.

sorry, it's $1,000. digikey sells access - see here: http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Other%20Rel...to_SDK.pdf
do the needful ...
If the Z-Stick is the actual master controller, then it might not be possible for us to force it to do the transfer. But, it should be able to do the transfer on its own presumably. You probably have to hold a button down till it goes into transfer mode or something like that.
Dean Roddey
yes, that will get it to replicate to the secondary controller, just like how SmartThings will do it. i think what i've learned is that we don't need to simply 'replicate' to the secondary controller, but UPDATE the secondary controller (at least that's the terminology used in the Leviton Installer Tool).

but just like with ST, replicating to the controller will give the VRC0P the network info, though nothing will work. we need to go into SmartThings and manually tell each device the ID of the VRC0P, and then replicate again. with the Z-Stick, there is no way to go tell a device the ID of the VRC0P, so in CQC the devices are always red.

can't hurt to test, but it's going to be a bitch when i have to go re-include all of these devices. :cool
do the needful ...
Replication doesn't have anything to do with setting the ids of the devices to notify. That's not going to be information that will come from the master controller, unless it's been configured with that info and sends it out (usually means software based controller.) The z-stick on its own wouldn't have that info. There's not really any Z-Wave concept of the 'update' thing you mention. That would just be a convention of the software itself, i.e. replication plus sending out other configuration data that the user has given it.

Unfortunately, neither could we provide it because, if you are replicating, we can't assume that any of the old ids we have are valid anymore really. It really has to be known by something like a software based master server, or done manually by the user (or semi-manually, which is what our driver's auto-config button does for you.)

But it's sort of up to you to be sure you update those ids stored in notification groups if you do anything that could change the ids of the modules, since otherwise they will be invalid. It's really a sign of how hacky Z-Wave was updated to handle notifications that they used ids like this instead of using some sort of unique module id like Zigbee does. If you change the ids somehow, no one is going to know that and now you have the notifications going to the wrong thing.
Dean Roddey
OK, that all makes sense. I figure the RF Installer Tool does it for us because we need to manually assign the VRC0P as a 'serial controller', so it knows to provide that information when it updates.

i guess i was hoping that doing something similar inside of CQC would be easy. basically recreating the VRUSB/RFIT combo. maybe we could read a list of devices from the Z-Stick, let us pick the VRC0P, add the association, and then update?

my smartthings hack is working, so maybe i just need to stick with that for the time being. but im really starting to enjoy the variety of devices i can connect via z-wave and it's making me want to expand my network even further.
do the needful ...
We can't really read stuff from the Z-stick. Replication is really the means by which that info is transferred, and it's a 'push' type thing from the master. We could of course, once you've verified that you correctly have marked the VRC0P in our driver, and once you have all of the make/model stuff set, go through for the ones that define (in the make/model info) what groups need to be set, and update them all to point at the VRC0P. Though of course we can only do non-battery powered ones, since the battery powered ones will be asleep. We can queue up the messages to send, but they won't happen until the device wakes up (which doesn't mean it's triggered, it's when it does a scheduled wakeup, so it could still send notifications to the wrong device if it's triggered in the meantime, another shortcoming. The wakeup time is pretty long typically if you want the batteries to last any time.)
Dean Roddey
that's what we thought last time. but even when waking the battery powered devices, they never end up working with CQC even after doing their auto-configure. i don't know why, and i don't have a way to watch the VRC0P while it's connected to CQC (i tried some port spy program last time that never worked).

maybe theres something else going on? i can use the following to get my zwave network successfully into the VRC0P and displaying (in red) in CQC - Wink Hub, SmartThings, VRUSB, Z-Stick. only SmartThings via the hack and the VRUSB will actually get my devices configured and working. so ive no idea what that means.

:-?
do the needful ...
You have to do the auto-config to queue up the msgs, then make the unit do a wakeup, usually requires either removing the batteries and putting them back or some have a button to do it. When CQC sees the unit wake up, it will send the queued msgs.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Idea - CQC as Front End for Home Assistant znelbok 3 233 04-28-2022, 07:58 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Z-Wave Device List simplextech 2 1,347 02-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  Z-Wave dual usb stick setup simplextech 7 2,276 01-20-2020, 01:32 PM
  Z-Wave Device Support simplextech 6 2,835 01-06-2020, 02:24 PM
  [REQUEST] Z-Wave Devices simplextech 2 1,428 01-05-2020, 07:31 PM
  Z-Wave include fails with security simplextech 15 4,010 01-04-2020, 06:18 PM
  New Z-Wave driver preview Dean Roddey 162 46,003 08-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  New z-wave Ron Haley 4 1,556 06-25-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  Z-Wave Question agarden 9 5,771 05-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Last Post: agarden
  Z-Wave Device config GoControl Door/Window Sensor batwater 50 18,171 03-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey