Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Configure SmartThings as Primary ZWave Controller
Hi,

I was able to use the Sigma ACC-UZB3-U-STA UZB stick quite successfully:

I downloaded Sigma (Silicon Labs) PC Controller which is a new implementation of the old Zensys Tools ZWaveController application that can control USB sticks. Using the new application I successfully included the Sigma UZB as a secondary controller. What was very important was the fact that you could see the network key used for secure communication (16 hex bytes). Knowing the key, I was able to use the new secondary controller with Home Assistant, OpenZwave console and OpenHAB to control locks including access to user codes.

Then, I transferred the primary function from the Leviton installer to the new controller and could use it to update the VRC0P box.

I may write my own small python script to update user codes since there is a python OpenZwave library wrapper that Home Assistant relies on (but not OpenHAB that implements its own zwave library).

Perhaps, an Aeon Gen5 would work just as well. The Sigma UZB was cheaper at $25.
Finally off my damn Leviton VRUSB as master controller. Problem is Smartthings has  a great phone app to add/remove devices but very poor on demand diagnostics(or none) besides doing a repair Z-wave network.

If you have a mix of Z-wave devices/locks and repeaters you will need something like the below:
https://www.zwaveproducts.com/z-wave-toolbox

Good thing about the toolbox is you can leave on network all the time. You can do a simple ping to all devices or more complex health testing and neighbor mapping. It even can tell you if there is signal interference and can help you figure out where to put repeaters.
Will the ST set up work when there is no Internet connection? This was my main reason for dumping ST altogether
(07-22-2019, 04:42 AM)kfly Wrote: If you have a mix of Z-wave devices/locks and repeaters you will need something like the below:
https://www.zwaveproducts.com/z-wave-toolbox

How does this work to do neighborhood mapping? Does that mapping propagate to the master and secondary ZWave controllers?
(07-22-2019, 09:38 AM)gReatAutomation Wrote: Will the ST set up work when there is no Internet connection? This was my main reason for dumping ST altogether

Smartthings uses a phone app and is cloud based. But that is fine because I use CQC to control most devices and show status. I only need the hub to add/remove devices to the network.
(07-22-2019, 12:03 PM)kfly Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 09:38 AM)gReatAutomation Wrote: Will the ST set up work when there is no Internet connection? This was my main reason for dumping ST altogether

Smartthings uses a phone app and is cloud based. But that is fine because I use CQC to control most devices and show status. I only need the hub to add/remove devices to the network.

Thanks.

So, to confirm you:

1. used ST as the Master Controller whereby you added all ZWave devices to the ST hub
2. then added the Aeotec ZStick Gen 5 to the ST as another device and thereby the Secondary Controller
3. then went in to CQC ZWave interface, clicked include/exclude, then on ST hub clicked on "add device"
4. all devices from ST hub were then added to CQC zwave interface
(07-22-2019, 12:08 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 12:03 PM)kfly Wrote:

Thanks.

So, to confirm you:

1. used ST as the Master Controller whereby you added all ZWave devices to the ST hub
2. then added the Aeotec ZStick Gen 5 to the ST as another device and thereby the Secondary Controller
3. then went in to CQC ZWave interface, clicked include/exclude, then on ST hub clicked on "add device"
4. all devices from ST hub were then added to CQC zwave interface

Yes but 
Use the new smartthings app rolled out last year(not the older ST app). Hit the "+" to add device, choose Aeotec(other) and then click include/exclude in CQC.
after devices are added to CQC you need to "approve all". Could not be any easier.
thanks. So what is benefit of using ST hub for this versus the Leviton stick and Vizia software?
(07-22-2019, 12:37 PM)gReatAutomation Wrote: thanks. So what is benefit of using ST hub for this versus the Leviton stick and Vizia software?

For me:
The Stick software and hardware seem to be lagging with no development from Leviton. Only recently started working with windows 10.
No more managing backing up the configuration file( I used a laptop) just in case and glueing the Leviton stick back together when it falls apart Smile.
Seamless integration with Alexa and google Home. (until I get Alexa to work with CQC directly)

For advanced users(even though they want all things done from app) you can still access the Groovy IDE for ST.
https://graph-na04-useast2.api.smartthings.com

Thousands of smart apps and device handlers. You may need to run the old app if the smart/app was developed for older app. Not a big deal to have both apps on phone.
I added to my ST hub:
Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z Switch Mapper (smartapp)
Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z Zone Controller(device handler)

Because I have a Leviton VRCZ4 4 zone controller and without the Leviton stick I needed another way to program the Leviton Buttons.
The downside of ST is that it doesn't know it's just a master controller, so it's going to be banging on the devices as well, assuming it is the automation controller. Given that Z-Wave is touchy enough, the Leviton software has the benefit of being completely passive and just a master controller.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How To - Configure MyMovies Driver on Windows 7 x64 wuench 21 28,806 10-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Last Post: zra
  How to use Fibaro HC2 as your zWave primary controller kjaerligkatt 3 3,627 11-27-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  How To: Install Logitech Squeezebox Receiver without Controller (WinXP) Deephaven 13 76,259 08-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Last Post: SamVimes2