Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zigbee Information
(01-12-2020, 11:24 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Zigbee is a big problem, because it's a huge chicken and egg. It would be a huge effort to support, but there's so little stuff out there to justify it. And, since there's not much support, there's less justification to make the devices.

It's made worse by the fact that Zigbee, as it has been, was very disjoint wrt to home automation, and there's a new scheme available now but very few devices that support it. Anyone starting these days it would only make sense to support the new scheme, but there again, that would be just as big an effort and even fewer devices to justify it.

If you're referring to the new ZigBee 3 spec then yes, however if you supported the ZHA 1.2 spec then there are millions of devices where you would only want to support a handful of those anyways.

I agree ZigBee is a mess and from one perspective not worth it.  However from another perspective just like the z-wave driver you don't support everything automatically definitions have to be added.  The same could be done with ZigBee and a coordinator that was pretty open like the CIDUSB or XBee.

A completely alternative route and probably a better route would be to integrate DeCONZ with a driver.  The integration would be almost identical to the existing Hue integration with the added benefit of getting switches and sensors along with Zigbee lamps.

Going the DeCONZ route I think is the most advantageious and easiest for CQC.  ZigBee support is dependent on what DeCONZ provides and if they don't support it... well too bad.  The Driver integration would be very simple and the USB or rPi boards are readilly available for those wanting to use it.

There are the same advantages of doing this with other "hubs" such as the Hubitat hub.  I've done the integration for the ISY and for HomeSeer with that hub to bring ZigBee devices to those platforms.  In C# or Python the integration was very straight forward and easy to do.  I don't (yet) know where to even start with CQC on doing this but I would be more than happy to provide whatever information or details you need if interested.

I can provide integration and testing details for both DeCONZ and Hubitat as I have both and I've done integrations with both.
I have nothing against Zigbee of course. I wish had won. Z-Wave is pretty much an abomination from a support point of view. But both are extremely large efforts. And if I did 1.2 now, I'd just end up doing 3 support later. I just can't see putting in all that work to support a version that is end of life, despite how many existing devices there are.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
(01-12-2020, 12:43 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I have nothing against Zigbee of course. I wish had won. Z-Wave is pretty much an abomination from a support point of view. But both are extremely large efforts. And if I did 1.2 now, I'd just end up doing 3 support later. I just can't see putting in all that work to support a version that is end of life, despite how many existing devices there are.

Oh I completely agree.  That's why I think a controller integration is a much better route anyways.  Integration via DeCONZ or via Hubitat would be simple and provide a huge bang for the buck.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XM Radio Channel Information Driver Jonathan 168 43,469 09-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Last Post: DaveB
  Zigbee RCS Thermo Driver Dean Roddey 14 5,012 06-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey