Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smartthings as primary zwave controller?
I wonder if the $99 smartthings hub could be used as the primary zwave controller, replicating to the vrcop for control via CQC. Google results insinuates yes, anyone look into smartthings at all?
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I installed the Smart Things Hub this past week. Impressive. I'm using it with Echo and my Z-Wave network with excellent success.

I too noticed the manuel commented that when you Include it with your Z-Wave network it would erase Z-Wave content that had been put directly in it. That made me think about asking the same question IVB.

I don't know the answer to your question. I'm so disenchanted with Leviton's Installer Tool support that I'm ready to try something better.

We seem to be headed for a "Hub" world, so I suspect CQC will need to interface with some of these things before it's all over. I'm impressed with how well Echo is connecting with the Hubs.
why not the ISY?
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
Deanne, agreed on all counts. At $99, I'll try it. RFIT is a POS.

Jason, IFTTT & Echo natively support SmartThings. New stuff I purchase will be mainstream unless a viable reason exists to go bleeding edge.
jkmonroe Wrote:why not the ISY?
I don't think the ISY is native or primary for the Echo like some of the Hubs are, is it? The native applications seem to work much better with Echo, as we might expect.

EDIT: JK, I may have misunderstood your question. Were you suggesting using the ISY as an imporvement over the Leviton Installer Tool?
IVB Wrote:I wonder if the $99 smartthings hub could be used as the primary zwave controller, replicating to the vrcop for control via CQC. Google results insinuates yes, anyone look into smartthings at all?

I've been wondering the same thing. It's an uber bridge with an extremely active DIY developer community that can handle many things. I have a new Chamberlain garage door opener and the SmartThings hub already has a driver for it. If the hub could be used as a high level device bridge to CQC these devices it could open up a whole lot of flexibility.
IVB Wrote:Deanne, agreed on all counts. At $99, I'll try it. RFIT is a POS.

Jason, IFTTT & Echo natively support SmartThings. New stuff I purchase will be mainstream unless a viable reason exists to go bleeding edge.

the isy has a native echo app AND a lighting api. so you can use it to say "alexa, turn on X light"
do the needful ...
jkmonroe Wrote:the isy has a native echo app AND a lighting api. so you can use it to say "alexa, turn on X light"

oh, I didn't know that. There isn't a native android app, is there?
its all web gui, i think. with a mobile version.

there is MobiLinc, but its an extra $50 for the app.

i dont have one, but im 99% im going to order one. all dean needs to add is lock support, and it could be a true multi-system device (hue, zwave, insteon)
do the needful ...
jkmonroe Wrote:its all web gui, i think. with a mobile version.

there is MobiLinc, but its an extra $50 for the app.

i dont have one, but im 99% im going to order one. all dean needs to add is lock support, and it could be a true multi-system device (hue, zwave, insteon)

Hmmm. So what you're saying is use the ISY as the master, replicate to VRCOP?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Outage For Smartthings Users In North America gReatAutomation 0 1,803 02-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Ethernet Relay Controller simplextech 7 3,369 01-04-2020, 01:38 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  ISY-994i / ZWave / Smartthings kblagron 1 3,579 08-08-2018, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Smartthings vulnerabilities Dean Roddey 1 4,421 07-28-2018, 05:03 AM
Last Post: batwater
  ZWAVE Hack batwater 2 2,727 05-24-2018, 04:56 PM
  Zwave MQTT bridge potts.mike 4 4,647 01-24-2018, 01:28 PM
  Which RGB Controller znelbok 3 2,987 07-12-2017, 10:06 AM
  Next Video: Why Elk instead of ADT/SmartThings IVB 7 4,352 06-23-2016, 01:25 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Irrigation controller ellisr63 216 59,215 05-31-2016, 12:20 PM
  GoControl Essentials ZWave Sensor Kit - Clearance at HomeDepot jkmonroe 0 1,931 05-17-2016, 08:09 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe