Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
taRiva cxn issues = maybe changing equipment to a dual-usage approach
I've got a few devices that I get tired of having to use the uber-flaky Android App to control via CQC (audio via concerto; aprilaire to start, sucking up lighting for now).

I'm thinking about
1) slowly ditching the Concerto and getting all sonos:connect amps to drive in-ceiling speakers, that Sonos app is awesome and FAST.
2) For Aprilaire, maybe the ecobee.
3) Buying the $40 M1TouchPro so I can use that app to quickly connect to the Elk.

For lighting, no viable option or means to go direct to another secondary controller, so i'll have to suck up taRiva connection issues for now.

The only real benefit is the ability to use either the native app or CQC to monitor/control it. I wanted to start the music today, took 5 resets on the taRiva app to get it to connect. Man I was annoyed.

Anyhow, the point of the post is to advise those who are buying equipment to purchase things that can be controlled both independently outside CQC's mobile app and by CQC. There's a ton of options now that didn't exist even 5 years ago, so it should be a variety of options.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Some folks use RDP from Android I think? That way you are essentially using the real IV.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
i'll look into it. Its interesting, I used my wife's iPhone last night as she just got a 6S so I had to do the pre-scale templates thing.

That is *totally* different, comes up quick, works 80% great. 20% is due to it reconnecting and shoving you back to the home screen which is annoying.

I am assuming the secondary apps don't have the same connection issues as taRiva, which is by no means a done deal. Hopefully not as thats their bread & butter, whereas for CQC its not even an official vehicle, but caveat emptor.
The way the RIVA protocol works is part of the issue. It's a 'push' protocol, whereas a native app would be a 'pull' based system. So the RIVA apps are passive receivers of information, and they don't really have any context for what they are displaying. If they get a glitch in the network comm, which isn't unusual for phones and wireless devices, they can't sort of 'pick back up where we left off', because the aren't asking for info, they are drinking from a firehose and that info they missed is gone.

The up side was that it allowed those apps to be very disconnected from the actual plumbing and we could make all kinds of changes without affecting them particularly, so no long delays between us making changes and them showing up in the RIVA cients, and they could be vastly simpler (else those folks never would have written them.)

Given sufficient time and willingness on the part of the authors, we could have made that a lot better, but it didn't work out that way. The iOS one does better and is probably close to doing as best it can. The Android one has some sort of issues of its own I think, wrt to keeping a connection as best as possible.

This is why we want to move to an HTML5 client for portable devices, which will be a move back to a 'fat pull' client. They will be vastly more tolerant of less than ideal connections. That's next on the plate after the current 5.0 changes are done.

BTW, Brian, the iOS guy, did another client that is a fat client, for more manual type control, so you might want to check that one out. It doesn't have the issues that the RIVA clients do.
Dean Roddey
IVB Wrote:The only real benefit is the ability to use either the native app or CQC to monitor/control it. I wanted to start the music today, took 5 resets on the taRiva app to get it to connect. Man I was annoyed.

What I do is kill the app (kill the taRiva task) every time I exit. That resets whatever is getting goobered up between taRiva and CQC and starts a clean new session. I get high 90s on reliability with that approach, every once in a while CQC RIVA side doesn't let go or maybe I'm back in too quickly and it doesn't work and have to do a kill restart again on the android device.

What I plan on doing is using tasker to do what I 'm doing manually, put a wrapper around launching and killing the app after exit.
Can you set a flag on an Android app that tells it you really want it to release when closed and not just go to the background until pushed out by other stuff?
Dean Roddey
From a non programming perspective none that I am aware of.
batwater Wrote:What I do is kill the app (kill the taRiva task) every time I exit. That resets whatever is getting goobered up between taRiva and CQC and starts a clean new session. I get high 90s on reliability with that approach, every once in a while CQC RIVA side doesn't let go or maybe I'm back in too quickly and it doesn't work and have to do a kill restart again on the android device.

What I plan on doing is using tasker to do what I 'm doing manually, put a wrapper around launching and killing the app after exit.

I do that too, but I don't get anywhere close to 90%. Heck i'm probably at 25%.
I have issues with TaRIVA as well. I find that a lot of the time, I have to touch and hold on the screen to get the top bar back up, and then click on the connection icon in the top left. The screen reloads and then it seems to work, sometimes only for a bit though. I can toggle one switch but then no others work, requiring another reconnect.

I seem to put up with it, although very frustrating but my wife can't be bothered using it on her phone.

I'm not running windows server, so RDP won't be ideal but I should give it a try. I would love another option. What do most people do?
Squiddy Wrote:I would love another option. What do most people do?

Get really frustrated. I'm currently attempting SmartThings (see other thread) for a few of the devices, but having other issues there. Its got a usable albeit inflexible interface not usable if you have non-mainstream devices so i'm hoping to make that go.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RadioRa2 HVAC Issues avtexan 67 24,622 10-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Aprilaire T-Stats Issues avtexan 5 3,625 04-17-2018, 06:07 PM
Last Post: khill
  Firmware issues on Harmony Hub? Dean Roddey 0 1,751 08-26-2016, 09:14 AM
  Integrating phone "alarm" with CQC TTS without taRiva IVB 11 5,742 03-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Last Post: IVB
  Installation Issues with CQC 4.7.1 and WHS V1 kblagron 2 2,511 05-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Issy issues solved??? Deane Johnson 1 2,225 01-20-2015, 05:54 PM
  Logitech Squeeze Center Drive issues jmwhooper 11 6,586 10-06-2014, 01:56 AM
Last Post: jmwhooper
  HAI Omni Pro II Issues [SOLVED] avtexan 6 4,065 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Last Post: avtexan
  ISY99 - Changing an Enumerated Field in a Scheduled Event kblagron 2 2,210 09-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Web Widget Usage SamVimes2 11 4,956 09-20-2012, 04:23 AM
Last Post: kfly