Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can i upgrade from 4.1 to 4.8
yeah i know... i got busy living life and didn't keep up on my upgrades. do i need to go one step at a time or will 4.8 install? i am afraid i will break a lot of things or have incompatibilities as up upgrade.

greg
You can go straight up to 4.8. Read the upgrade guide, which discusses changes that have happened and things that might affect you. It's in the Learn->Technical Docs section of the web site.

Of course a huge change since then is the move completely over to a gesture based touch screen scheme. One casualty of that was the inc/dec button. So, if you use those, you'll have to replace them.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
thanks Dean. since i am out of date on my maintenance, do i just use the "paid upgrade" on your buy it page?

greg
It's almost always cheaper to just get caught up on the maintenance, since the upgrade is per (major or minor) release version. E-mail me and we can figure out what your situation is.
Dean Roddey
ok so since i am also going to need to go to win7 i will be going to a new machine. is the best process to just do a clean install of 4.8 then pull some config files over from my existing 4.1 install or do i need to install 4.1 on my new win7 machine first then upgrade it in place?

greg
Stop your existing system, copy the entire CQC directory to the new machine, then run the installer there. It'll ask you whether it's a new install or upgrade, say upgrade, and show it where the old directory is. It'll update that.

After that, you should probably make another copy of the CQC directory on the old machine, then run the uninstaller there to get rid of that one so it won't come back on.

Stop any other machines (clients or secondary servers) while you transfer the MS. When it's up and running, then run the new installer on those machines as well, and it'll upgrade them.
Dean Roddey
Deleted. i missread your post the first time. no coffee yet. Smile

greg
server installed fine. i can run the iv on the server ok except one driver that i need to look at.

- tried to install client tools on win10 tablet. install said it could see the server (i didn't do an upgrade since i was changing master servers) but when i launch it asks me for a key and when i tell it not now an empty IV opens the immediately goes away. is there a log that i can look at on the client?

- second client (a win7 machine) can't see the new master server even though it could see the old one. both machines are on the same workgroup and it is the same master server that my win10 client reported as ok.

greg
Did you stop the old MS? It sounds like maybe it's still running and the client is talking to it. Or, if you gave the new MS the same machine name as the old one, the DNS on that old client may still be pointing at the old IP address or something like that.
Dean Roddey
no the old install is not running and the new server has a different network name than the old one. i fixed the win7 client (i forgot it had a hosts file that had to be updated). but the win10 tablet still wont start. i see the IV come up then it immediately shuts back down. i tried reinstalling the client tools but no luck.

greg

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Win10 - Watch out on this latest upgrade kblagron 24 9,970 10-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Last Post: IVB
  Template errors after upgrade to 4.8.3 avtexan 4 3,058 08-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Last Post: avtexan
  Double Upgrade Advice? ControlFreak 1 1,976 06-26-2016, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  upgrade with WES 2009? ControlFreak 3 2,525 12-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Last Post: ControlFreak
  Need some details about OnPress/OnRelease in Upgrade mbrown 3 2,429 07-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Last Post: mbrown
  Help with new server and CQC upgrade royalj7 3 2,423 04-29-2012, 02:39 PM
  Master Server rehost/upgrade advice. dogman 3 2,574 03-24-2012, 04:35 PM
  How To Upgrade dkemme 1 2,087 11-07-2011, 09:08 PM
  Upgrade help fairview1100 2 2,111 06-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Last Post: fairview1100
  Upgrade questions - 2.4.26 to 3.2 MikeA 9 4,271 12-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Last Post: klindy