Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you keeping track of your CML code?
I have a ton of CML "files" and I'm finding I can't remember what CML file modifies a variable driver. (as well as other things, but this is an example).

How are people keeping track of this stuff? I can't debug something I can't find because I can't search through and find something like "WriteBoolField(moniker".

Anyone else find a solution to this? Anyone else have this problem? It's a little maddening / insanity.

Maybe there is a dump to txt file feature?

I don't write enough code ever to need an IDE but it seems I really need one here.
--Kill all the serial ports--
You can export the text if you want. If you right click on the source editor, one of the options is to export the file to text.

You could also I guess make an external cheat sheet documentation file where you track what's where.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
You want to give me carpel tunnels, don't you.
--Kill all the serial ports--
I don't mean in detail of course, but an overview of each class and what they do. Break them down into reusable, understandable chunks and document them in terms of what goes in, what comes out, and side effects they have. That's fairly standard software procedure.
Dean Roddey
if you are talking about finding it in the IDE, then I (and many others) use Crimson editor where there is a great search function.

What I find I have the most trouble with is the CML reference on the web site. I know I want a function, but I don't know what class it is in and I can't search all functions (same for a driver - put them all there in alphabetical order so I can search ).

Would it be hard to do a pdf dump of the whole CML reference for off-line use (I don't code on-line much - actually, I am not on-line much at all because of the crappy deal I get with internet)
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Well the whole help thing will be replaced in 5.0, and put into a locally installed HTML5 based setup that will be integrated into the Admin tool. Here is the thread where I showed an early preview of the idea:

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...hp?t=11992

It'll have an index presumably an ability to search that index to reduce the number of items to check.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Global Cache GC-100 - How to add IR Code??? Deane Johnson 7 2,778 11-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Echo Code Snippets potts.mike 5 3,588 03-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  IR code / Global Cache question ControlFreak 11 8,559 11-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Last Post: MikeA
  Missing Track Names karenlee 7 2,634 12-23-2012, 05:34 AM
Last Post: DaveB
  keeping web browser active Zanthic 2 1,914 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Zanthic
  Media Item Browser Current Track Hi-Lite DaveB 2 2,037 11-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Last Post: DaveB
  Example Media Type Code Needed ASAP... AnthonyZ 8 3,273 07-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Which IR code-set to use with CQC and USBUIRT Receiver bph 1 1,729 02-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Learning IR code into USBUIRT lpott6 10 4,645 12-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Last Post: LesAuber
  Elk 4 digit code and bypass pseigler 8 2,869 11-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Last Post: ToyMaster458