Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos TTS
I'll start first with the basics of trying to play from a library... need to get that setup first. TTS will be next. But I wanted to find out if there was a consensus on "best" way of doing it with Sonos.
I have a whole house audio receiver I use for TTS, I have a Sonos connected to one of the inputs, and I also have my CQC Server attached to the other, which I use exclusively for the TTS announcements.  I was thinking that maybe if your Sonos box has an Audio In (Some do), you could redirect the CQC Server output audio to that.  Never done that, but seems feasible if the units are close.
(01-03-2020, 07:27 PM)kblagron Wrote: I have a whole house audio receiver I use for TTS, I have a Sonos connected to one of the inputs, and I also have my CQC Server attached to the other, which I use exclusively for the TTS announcements.  I was thinking that maybe if your Sonos box has an Audio In (Some do), you could redirect the CQC Server output audio to that.  Never done that, but seems feasible if the units are close.

All I have are Sonos One SL and Sonos Play:1.  Only the Connect and Amp? (I think) have inputs none of the rest do.  Otherwise unless you count a couple Google Mini's bought for testing and a handful of Alexa devices I don't have a "Home Audio" setup.  Dunno why.. has never been a big thing in my house nor do I have a "Home Theatre" or even Surround Sound... odd right?  I have components and pieces but never put together a full thing.  Not yet.  On my revamp list... now that the kids are almost out of the house Smile I'll have money again.

Anyways I've done development with Sonos cloud API for using with TTS and with CQC being local and windows doing OAuth to get the token will be easy just a matter of then sending HTTP commands to the API for different things.  

Any interest Dean on a Hybrid driver?  One that uses local UPnP for 99% of functions but can then (optionally) use the cloud API for certain features.. like loading a google playlist or amazon playlist or using audioClip API for TTS?  

Currently I'm looking to just setup a media repo and have if I have to create a playlist for each mp3 TTS I want so be it.  If it will work I can just send the load playlist/play as my TTS command process... until I get something else worked out.
As noted earlier in this thread I have a Bluetooth Transmitter hooked up to a PC and a BT Receiver hooked up to a Sonos 5 (which has a line in) I use this for TTS; I could use a Sonos Connect but the Sonos 5 is in close proximity to the BT transmitter so was easiest. I am interested in what you did with a direct connect via the API for TTS.

I also have a Google Nest Hub Max, Google Hub and Google Home's or Google Mini's in every room so that is the more likely TTS path that I will use. Been experimenting over the years with using an old Android phone using CQC to EventGhost to AutoRemote (on the phone) via Tasker to AutoVoice which can broadcast to one to many Google Home devices (or a broadcast group)

Both of the above are complicated enough with enough moving parts that 100% reliability is not a given.

Out of curiosity, why not just use CQC for control to tell the Sonos to play the music from the "library?" Drivers already exist for that.

All of my MP3s are imported into a CQC repo, located on a network share as well as imported into Google Play Music using the Google Play Music Manager app. I have flexibility - Access anywhere any way. I have a solid 1Gb (930ish) internet connection so am not concerned about streaming from the cloud.

If you don't already have whole house audio Google or Amazon devices in every room are probably the least cost option for whole house TTS. We're 95% Android (I have an iPhone for work) so went with the Google ecosystem over Amazon. Google's speech recognition has been a better experience for us vs Alexa and the Hubs for picture display and visual interaction make my Wife happy. I only have 2 Sonos speakers a Sonos 1 and a Sonos 5. The remaining Sonos "nodes" are Sonos Connects that are connected to AV receivers or audio amps located throughout the house. Not practical to power up an amp just to do a TTS message and then shut back down
(01-04-2020, 06:22 AM)batwater Wrote: As noted earlier in this thread I have a Bluetooth Transmitter hooked up to a PC and a BT Receiver hooked up to a Sonos 5 (which has a line in) I use this for TTS; I could use a Sonos Connect but the Sonos 5 is in close proximity to the BT transmitter so was easiest. I am interested in what you did with a direct connect via the API for TTS.

I also have a Google Nest Hub Max, Google Hub and Google Home's or Google Mini's in every room so that is the more likely TTS path that I will use. Been experimenting over the years with using an old Android phone using CQC to EventGhost to AutoRemote (on the phone) via Tasker to AutoVoice which can broadcast to one to many Google Home devices (or a broadcast group)

Both of the above are complicated enough with enough moving parts that 100% reliability is not a given.

Out of curiosity, why not just use CQC for control to tell the Sonos to play the music from the "library?" Drivers already exist for that.

All of my MP3s are imported into a CQC repo, located on a network share as well as imported into Google Play Music using the Google Play Music Manager app. I have flexibility - Access anywhere any way. I have a solid 1Gb (930ish) internet connection so am not concerned about streaming from the cloud.

If you don't already have whole house audio Google or Amazon devices in every room are probably the least cost option for whole house TTS. We're 95% Android (I have an iPhone for work) so went with the Google ecosystem over Amazon. Google's speech recognition has been a better experience for us vs Alexa and the Hubs for picture display and visual interaction make my Wife happy.  I only have 2 Sonos speakers a Sonos 1 and a Sonos 5. The remaining Sonos "nodes" are Sonos Connects that are connected to AV receivers or audio amps located throughout the house. Not practical to power up an amp just to do a TTS message and then shut back down

To answer the question of why not use CQC to control Sonos.  I'm new to CQC and still learning what it can do.  This is my ultimate path of having CQC control most Sonos playing functions but integration needs to be aware of the external factors as well.  I'm still playing with CQC so please pardon my CQC ignorance. Smile

I'm used as many others the assistant-relay or integrations via plugins to the SDK (HomeSeer) that are available.  Assistant Relay is here:
https://github.com/greghesp/assistant-relay
This provides a nice REST based integration but requires another box to or docker to run in.  

I have Amazon Echo's all over the house and a couple google home mini's that I've played with.  I have the Sonos One SL speakers as they were provided for integration work.  I'd like to keep and integrate them as best as possible.  I used to use the Google Mini's just for TTS but having those all over and echo's all over just is too many little devices laying all around.  Today I do a combination of TTS with Amazon Alexa via routines.  This is pretty straight foward but would be more difficult with CQC as there isn't a native skill or provided network connection to get Alexa or Google to work with a standard pathway back to the CQC server.  Something I'm also going to be looking into.  I know in the past the method was people would port forward or setup their own VPN and manage that.  Perhaps a new integration "driver" or something with a portal service might be of interest to people?  I don't know.
There is no ignorance, just questions, I was asking in the form of a question...  Wink

As an easy experiment to get your feel for Sonos in CQC, consider installing an instance of the Sonos Zone Player and Media Renderer drivers. I use DHCP reservations to assign static IP to all of my media devices but that is optional since this is a UPnP driver.  You will be able to browse all of the fields in the driver and interact via the CQC Admin Interface.

I didn't catch that you were already vested in Alexa type of devices so understand completely about not wanting duplicates of assistants all over the place. There is also an AutoVoice skill for Alexa if you have an android phone handy to play with...

-Ben
Forgot to mention that AutoRemote has an MQTT interface so EventGhost could be bypassed (another project on my someday list...)
(01-04-2020, 10:42 AM)batwater Wrote: There is no ignorance, just questions, I was asking in the form of a question...  Wink

As an easy experiment to get your feel for Sonos in CQC, consider installing an instance of the Sonos Zone Player and Media Renderer drivers. I use DHCP reservations to assign static IP to all of my media devices but that is optional since this is a UPnP driver.  You will be able to browse all of the fields in the driver and interact via the CQC Admin Interface.

I didn't catch that you were already vested in Alexa type of devices so understand completely about not wanting duplicates of assistants all over the place. There is also an AutoVoice skill for Alexa if you have an android phone handy to play with...

-Ben

Yeah I have the Alexa devices and using the ISY Portal with Alexa skill + Alexa Routines works quite nicely for TTS that is cloud based.  It's a PITA to setup through the mobile app but I don't change TTS that often.  Which is also why I'm interested in doing it more local via Sonos. 

I used to do it with Google Mini's but of course Google keeps messing around with their API and access and I'm sick of dealing with cloud issues and API's that change on a moments notice without warning... not to mention the delay.  I have two things that are cloud dependent currently.  The TTS functionality and 1 of my 6 thermostat's which is a NuHeat Signature using the cloud API.  I can replace the NuHeat with another StelPro that I already have but that's going to Z-Wave.  The CQC Z-Wave implementation is "interesting" and I've not gone back to trying to set it up yet.  I did receive a Aeotec USB stick to go in my pile of other Z-Wave sticks and ZigBee sticks and other gear Smile

Now to just set it up and test it.  The setup is quite different....

Ok back on topic.  I've just setup the FileTags repo and added the Sonos driver and added on of my speakers to start playing around with.  Hoping to do a simple play/stop etc and load a playlist.  Some basic functions.  Then I'll have to see how to add that into an Event to automate the playing.  I can do a cheap work around of TTS with local MP3's in a playlist I think and have an Event load/play the playlist for whatever scenario.  Not great but it will work.  I can get GREAT voices this way too and not limited by the Microsoft SAPI voices.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sonos amp Dean Roddey 3 10,786 09-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Sonos going public? Dean Roddey 0 3,421 07-07-2018, 10:08 PM
  Scheduling next webinar (Sonos/TTS) IVB 6 4,823 02-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Uverse and Sonos kblagron 5 4,945 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM
  Lutron adds support for Alexa and Sonos ControlFreak 2 3,992 12-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: dgage
  Sonos opens its platform to Spotify Connect and Amazon's Alexa batwater 14 8,798 09-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  CQC Media Repo - Sonos potts.mike 15 7,485 03-10-2016, 12:28 PM
  Sonos Opinions zra 51 17,325 01-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Question for Sonos Owners jkmonroe 23 13,701 09-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Sonos - How Are You Doing It? karenlee 32 15,507 08-05-2015, 02:07 AM
Last Post: finish.06