Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z-wave client driver
Dean,
In the V2 Leviton VRC0P driver, does the "Type" selection need to match the actual device exactly? Most of my z-wave devices are not listed in the selections. I'm surprised, because I would think Evolve and GE/Jasco would be pretty popular. The devices are door/window switches and plug-in appliance and lamp modules.

Thanks,
--Jamie
It does typically need to be exact. Those aren't there because I think that the Jasco/GE ones don't support async notifications, which means it can't really be used with the V2 driver, because it requires that. You could use one of the generic types, which would provide write only access generally, but not feedback. Polling is a waste of time so the V2 driver doesn't do any polling. The device has to provide notifications of changes.

Other things that could be supported wouldn't be there because no one has had one to test with, and trying to do them by eye is usually very difficult because it's hard to get reliable information about them.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
The Evolve modules support async reporting I know, because it mentions it in the manual. What does it take to get a model added to the supported type?

Thanks,
--Jamie
I will have to set up a file that describes it to the driver. What's the exact model? I may have to get you to open your VRC0P up for me to test it as well, depending on what is involved.
Dean Roddey
I use the GE/Jasco stuff with V2. I just tell CQC that they are the Leviton variety. This works well, but has caveats.

The GE stuff does not have async updates, but CQC does periodically ping the device for an update. Doing it this way allows me to have both read and write variables for the devices for use in my UI.

Its not ideal, but replacing an existing houseful of the stuff is not doable.
It may be useless though. Given that the periodic 'are you alive' ping is pretty long, any change may not show up for some time, so any logic that depends on knowing the current state wouldn't always work.
Dean Roddey
True, but without setting it up this way, I would have had to redo my entire UI.. I use checkboxes for the lights, and with the default write-only variable, that wouldnt work.

Anyhow, I know its not ideal, but it does work Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RFXcom driver or Tellstick driver kernal69 8 2,726 01-25-2020, 03:06 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Z-Wave PC Controller simplextech 0 1,978 01-06-2020, 05:54 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  Dune driver wait for config error ellisr63 44 8,822 11-28-2019, 06:35 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  GE Z-Wave Outdoor Switch / Garage Door / Alarm gReatAutomation 0 816 06-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  TTS II Driver requirements znelbok 1 894 05-20-2019, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Size of IV Client George M 4 1,378 01-05-2019, 11:34 AM
  Basic Z Wave/CQC Integration Question MikeW 6 2,685 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: MikeW
  CQC to PowerView Hub via Serial Driver Deane Johnson 18 6,828 05-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  HAI Driver Issue avtexan 6 3,466 04-06-2018, 02:06 PM
  Newer Leviton Z-Wave Lamp Dimmers Deane Johnson 2 2,141 11-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson