Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Restarting Itself
My computer will suddenly restart while I am using CQC. It has now happened three times. It started after I installed the "xm channel info driver" in this thread http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...php?t=3204 I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.
The windows error message is shown below.
[Image: windowserrorrm1.jpg]
There are very few things that a driver could do to cause this. Generally, it's going to be one of two things:

1. You have hardware issues and this driver just happens to bring it out
2. The driver is eating memory up (usually by using some sort of collection and not flushing it before reuse so it keeps adding up) and the machines runs out of memory.

#2 is more likely of the two. So watch teh memory in the task manager and see if it's ramping up over time.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I have seen this happen with an old computer but it was before I was ever using CQC. It turned out to be a hardware problem. If I recall it was a bad video card. You may want to google your errors and look inside that log dump file to see if there is any good information pointing to the problem. My guess is that its not really related to CQC or if it is its indirectly related.
David
Z-Wave World Magazine|Baltimore Hackerspace
"Why think outside the box when you could let the box think for you." - My take on Home Automation
Dean, you are right about the memory usage, because before the system restarts some drivers specifically SDM (SmartHome Device Manage) will complain of low memory and ask to be shut down. The computer has also given a message (I can't remember what exactly) about low memory and then increased alloted memory. I will keep a watch on the task manager about memory usage.

The box is an emachines T5212 and about 3 weeks old. It has only CQC and related stuff.
Make sure that he knows about this problem and he can check the driver and see where he's losing the memory. It should be pretty obvious.
Dean Roddey
From the other thread, on this driver, it sounds like perhaps this must be something else. So, watch it and if the memory is going up, look at the memory usage for the various processes and sort it by the memory usage column and see what's using the most memory. I order to run out of memory, one of them would have to be eating up a lot of memory so it should be pretty obvious.
Dean Roddey
I've also had this problem with an older PIII running CQC client stuff. Running minimal drivers (Caddx, Zoomplayer). I turned off all the hardware monitoring in the BIOS and the problem went away and the PC hasn't melted yet ;-)
I guess we should ask, now much memory does this box have?
Dean Roddey
The box has Intel Pentium D 805 with 1GB of DDR2 ram.
That should be plenty. Anyway, keep an eye on it and see who the culprit is. What all drivers are you running on that machine?
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transferring CQC to new computer MikeA 9 3,525 04-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Last Post: MikeA
  One computer, two IVs? Micco 14 4,793 01-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Last Post: trouble
  Audio/Computer Problem - help diagnosing sic0048 4 2,487 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Last Post: beelzerob
  Using Domain - now computer won't connect sic0048 17 5,976 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Low Power Computer for CQC Installation thall411 2 1,996 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Last Post: froop
  HP's touch screen computer Brightan 3 2,059 08-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Rethinking My Computer Setup cavalier240 21 6,333 05-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Last Post: jmwhooper
  Automatically shutting off and turning on seconday computer Bauer83 11 3,858 06-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Bauer83
  Restarting the whole Touch Screen Dilemma Ed Nelson 13 4,106 02-28-2007, 06:01 AM
Last Post: penngray
  Recommendations for a CQC computer? 3pedal 6 2,651 01-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Last Post: IVB