Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zwave Scene Controllers and User Actions
I have attached traces for the zone controller and scene controller.

For the Zone controller I pressed the off once and the on once for each button and then the dim up and down buttons once each. The zone controller is Unit 12, the load in the same switch is Unit 13.

For the scene controller I pressed each button twice (toggles the scene on and off)from top to bottom and then the dim up and down buttons once each. The scene controller is Unit 8.

Hope this helps

Attached Files
.txt   Scene Controller Trace.Txt (Size: 3.62 KB / Downloads: 8)
.txt   Zone controller Trace.Txt (Size: 4.25 KB / Downloads: 5)
On the first one, the scene controller, I'm not sure we can do anything useful with that. It doesn't send out anything useful via the association. It does send out stuff, but nothing we can make use of. There's a manufacturer proprietary message which might have the info in it, but I don't know what it's in that and wouldn't be able to make use of it if I did.

The scene actuator conf msgs would be useful is they had scene numbers in them. But currently it's always sending scene zero. You might have to set it up so that it treats the VRCOP like a light, i.e. sends scene msgs to it, and the buttons sending scene numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 (respectively.) That would cause it to send useful scene actuator msgs that the driver could use.

The scene conf actuator messages are actually being sent via the association (as apposed to the scene messages, which are configured on the buttons.) But, unless the buttons are set up to send useful scene numbers, that correspond to the butters, those conf messages won't contain any useful info.

I'll look at the other one after I eat.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
There should be a way to do something with the zone Controller. I have read multiple places that premise is triggering off of it.
I think that the same issue is applicable to the other one as well. You are using it as a real scene/zone controller, and sending scene commands to lights. That's not providing anything useful to use it as a trigger for CQC. For that, you'll probably have to set it up so that it always sends scene commands to the VRCOP, and each button sends a respective scene number, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

If you do that, then the scene msgs will come in with the VRCOP's id, and it will handle them as being for it. As it is now, the scene commands show up as addressing the individual lights, not something that the VRCOP should react to (it would have no way of knowing that such messages were for it.)

If you do that, then the scene actuator conf msgs should show up with scenes 1, 2, 3, and 4, and those will trigger events. As it is now, you are always sending out scene 0, so there's nothing to distinguish which button was pressed, and scene 0 really refers to the local load anyway, not to actual scenes being invoked.
Dean Roddey
They do, BTW, send out basic ON messages, but those are useless because there's no way to know what button it came from, and when you use these things as triggering mechanisms, you have to know what button, since you want to do different actions based on the button number. The only way, giving the way these work, is to make sure you send out a scene number that corresponds to the button number.
Dean Roddey
Found This, seems it can be done at a low level. (http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/19196...and-vrc0p/)

Quote:Here's my results from testing a Leviton Vizia RF+ 4 button zone controller.

Manufacturer Details
VRCZ4-1LZ
The top four buttons are left and right on/off rockers for four different programmable zones, while the bottom arrow pad raises and lowers the lighting level or condition of the most recent zone activated. Vizia RF + incorporates real 2-way status updating of the green LED lamp on each button, giving you real-time information about the on/off status of the lights in your home.

VRCZ4-MRZ
Vizia RF + 4-Button Zone Controller with Switch for Multi-Location Control with IR Remote Capability. White face assembled on device, ivory and light almond faces included. Other details same as the VRCZ4.

Results following a button press
top button on left:
<N051:043,001,001,255
<N052S001,255,255 (I had node 52 associated to the top toggle switch)

top button on right:
<N051:032,001,000
<N052S000,000,255 (I had node 52 associated to the top toggle switch)

similarly, when you press these buttons on left you see the following on port spy:
(note: no nodes associated with these buttons)
2nd button on:
<N051:043,001,002,255 (fortunately, we can easily pick out which on button is pressed)

3rd button on:
<N051:043,001,003,255

4th button on:
<N051:043,001,004,255

when you press buttons 2-4 on the right (e.g. the off side of the toggle) you see the following on port spy:
(note: no nodes associated with these buttons)
<N051:032,001,000 (unfortunately, there's no way to identify which off button was pressed)

bright down:
<N051:038,005
<N051:038,004,000,000

bright up:
<N051:038,005
<N051:038,004,064,000

My plan
If someone can do similar tests with a 4 button scene controller (don't associate any nodes), I'd be willing to integrate these into the VRC0P module. The goal is to use the scene and zone controllers generically to trigger events in Premise. For example, a goodnight button might arm the alarm to stay mode, turn off all televisions and lights and set back thermostat.

To do this, I would make a new class called controller that inherits from the keypad class. Custom scripts would then be written for each button of a keypad home object for specific tasks. Each button would automatically be bound to the home keypad when the home keypad is "initialized" from the device object (aka the 4 button controller).

There is also this app note which you probably already have: http://communities.leviton.com/docs/DOC-2386
For the app note, that's not of use since it uses the proprietary msg stuff. I just can't build in support for every manufacturer's proprietary msg formats. What's the point of a standard if manufacturers don't use the standard msgs? It would quickly get out of hand if we tried to support all those things.

On the other thing, they are seeing scene controller msgs (43) which we are not. You can see in the trace that there's no 43 messages in there, only 44 (which don't contain the info we need.) So I don't see how that can help us either. The docs we found also did not indicate it supports the scene activation class, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

You can always hook up a simple text console program to it and press the same buttons and let's take a look at that output and see if we see anything different at the raw VRCOP level.
Dean Roddey
Oh, BTW, I meant to also say, once we reason we may not be getting those messages is, again, that you need to set up the controller to treat the VRCOP like a light. Association sends regular messages to the VRCOP, but the scene commands are targeted towards specific units. If you add the VRCOP as a light, then we may get the messages we need, but there again, too, you may have to send scene 1, 2, 3 and 4 for each respective button, so that we get something useful.

Another possibility is that, we are getting 'scene' messages from the VRCOP, which is may be creating from the underlying Z-Wave level scene messages. So it may be hijacking the messages we want and converting them. But, as I mentioned before, it's always getting scene zero, which is useless for us in terms of invoking an action. If you do the above, we may still not get the actual low level Z-Wave scene activiation messages, but maybe only because the VRCOP is converting them to its own scene messages, but either would work.

OTOH, those scene messages we are getting now may just be from the local load on that controller. If it has a local load, it often sends scene zero messages instead of off/on and level messages (yet another non-standard standard Z-Wave thing.) So that may be why we are getting those, and we may only see them from the buttons if you set up the VRCOP as a light as above.
Dean Roddey
I'm going to try to hook up to it with putty this weekend and see what the raw commands are.

How would I "add the vrcop as a light"?
The same way you have set it up to send scene commands to the lights that they are currently controlling. You would have had to configure in the Lutron software that you wanted the buttons to send scene commands to the lights for each scene. You just add the VRCOP as one.

The gotcha I guess is that some older lights only accept on/off and level commands, while newer ones take a scene command and you set up in the light itself how it should react to each scene number. It's that latter type that we want to be sent to the VRCOP, because that can send a scene number.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lutron Caseta Add Fan and Shade Controllers bryanb 1 475 11-29-2020, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Write Failed / ZWave gReatAutomation 22 4,257 03-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Big Grin ZWave & Switch Remotes / Dimmer Remotes gReatAutomation 6 1,504 01-16-2020, 07:05 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  [ZWAVE] Zooz ZSE40 v2 simplextech 2 888 01-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Please add Somfy ZRTSI to zwave models kfly 15 3,814 11-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Last Post: kfly
  Pause / Resume Triggered or Scheduled Actions from the Interface Viewer gReatAutomation 2 1,269 10-30-2019, 01:38 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Display of an Extended Wait for User Image kblagron 4 1,312 09-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Zwave lock battery level indicator on Field Checkbox kfly 4 2,175 09-07-2019, 05:34 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Clear out all previous ZWave info gReatAutomation 3 1,106 08-01-2019, 02:00 PM
  ZWave Issues / Aeotec gReatAutomation 16 4,364 07-26-2019, 06:21 PM