Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zwave Scene Controllers and User Actions
I understand that I should be able to trigger events off of Scene controller button presses but don't understand how this should work. I triggered on Is User Action For. Then Device is set as Zwave.HallController and Type as 1 (for button one).

Where I am I going Wrong?
Run the event dumper and see what's showing up there. I.e. this will insure that you are actually getting anything from the driver. If not, that points towards the driver. If so, then it will show you what is showing up in the trigger.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Where do I find the event dump?
Open the CQC Command Prompt and run CQCEventDump.
Dean Roddey
I started the event dump and pressed the button for the all on/off scene and the only thing that comes is the Bedroom Light.

Can I assume that means that the other switches and controllers are not associated with the VRCOP?
You do need to associate basically everything with the VRCOP. The controllers need it in order to send out the scene messages. The other lights need it to report their status, assuming they support associations.
Dean Roddey
I went through the reverse association process in the Leviton software and now when I press the all on/off scene button I see the status of all the lights change in the event dump but I don't see anything coming from the scene controller. Is this normal or should I be seeing some sort of status message from the scene controller?
We'll have to see what it's sending out. There's so many ways to do it that I might have gotten it wrong as to what it sends, given that I was doing it by eye. If you have associated the scene controller with the VRCOP, it should be sending something that gets passed on to CQC, we'll need to get a trace of you pressing the buttons.

I think we did this before, so go back to those instructions to enable/disable the trace. When you get it enabled, just press each button on the controller. Then disable it and send me the output. Let's do one at a time and let me know which Z-Wave id the one you pressed contains. It's gonig to be a bit messier since it's going to kick off a lot of stuff from the controlled lights but I can tease out the info based on the Z-Wave id of the controller itself.

Once we see what it's sending for each button, I can take another whack at setting up the device info file.

BTW, normally you probably don't want the buttons to be doing both actual Z-Wave level scene invocation and having CQC react to it. If you want CQC to react to it, usually you'd not have it sending out scene commands to the lights as well.
Dean Roddey
I will run the traces this evening.

Dean Roddey Wrote:BTW, normally you probably don't want the buttons to be doing both actual Z-Wave level scene invocation and having CQC react to it. If you want CQC to react to it, usually you'd not have it sending out scene commands to the lights as well.

If I have, say, a bedtime scene that includes turning off all the lights and starting the tv on a specific channel why not allow the zwave network to handle the lighting portion of the scene?
You can do it if it makes sense.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lutron Caseta Add Fan and Shade Controllers bryanb 1 475 11-29-2020, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Write Failed / ZWave gReatAutomation 22 4,257 03-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Big Grin ZWave & Switch Remotes / Dimmer Remotes gReatAutomation 6 1,504 01-16-2020, 07:05 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  [ZWAVE] Zooz ZSE40 v2 simplextech 2 888 01-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Please add Somfy ZRTSI to zwave models kfly 15 3,814 11-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Last Post: kfly
  Pause / Resume Triggered or Scheduled Actions from the Interface Viewer gReatAutomation 2 1,269 10-30-2019, 01:38 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Display of an Extended Wait for User Image kblagron 4 1,312 09-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Zwave lock battery level indicator on Field Checkbox kfly 4 2,175 09-07-2019, 05:34 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Clear out all previous ZWave info gReatAutomation 3 1,106 08-01-2019, 02:00 PM
  ZWave Issues / Aeotec gReatAutomation 16 4,364 07-26-2019, 06:21 PM