Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 no-go :(
I've converted two of my PC's to 10 from 8.1, but not my CQC server yet.

Installation went great, no issues other than a couple of small things like a default printer needing reassigning.

They don't seem to tell you to restart your computer after the upgrade but I found it necessary. The graphics card wasn't active so the icons were all jumbled. Restarting restored the graphics card and all of the icons ended up in their previous locations.

I can't put my finger on it, but 10 seems to work better, work smoother and not have any bad habits I have run into yet. I also believe my Chrome browser is faster.
It just finished and seems to have gone well. It would be a good thing to not accept the default basic settings during the install and change them, since almost all of them are pretty much 'let hackers take you down' defaults.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean Roddey Wrote:It just finished and seems to have gone well. It would be a good thing to not accept the default basic settings during the install and change them, since almost all of them are pretty much 'let hackers take you down' defaults.
You do know that Microsoft has offered Win 10 to all hackers in hope that they won't want to hack it....
tia, Ron

My HT equipment I want to control by CQC (some day hopefully)
Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, LG 86" 4k FP, and a projector in the future
I meant let hackers into your computer.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I just upgraded two Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and one Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All three upgrades were smooth.

The only issue that I see is that I can't remote desktop from Windows 10 to Windows 10 using a local account as the login. It fails (even though I can do RDP to the same system from my Android based Remote Desktop).

I also lost the multi-RDP hack, but it won't be long before that reappears for 10...
Mark Stega
I managed to get installed via insiders.microsoft.com; now I can't seem to find Windows 10 Pro Pack to upgrade from 10 Home to 10 Pro (need RDP otherwise I'm standing at my media rack with a mouse on my thigh and keyboard balanced on a media chair). Downloaded Teamplayer and it seems to be working well enough so I'll try that for a while. It's pretty much a gotomypc solution but free for home use. You can setup an unattended access point; go to your team viewer account online and remote to your pc. I have no security integrated with that pc so I'm not too worried.

I didn't seem to lose connectivity to any of my appliances with Win10.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
There is a simple "hack" to enable RDP on 8.1 Home. It requires editing some value in the registry. Google search will turn up lots of step-by-step guides.

You could try it on 10 Home to see if it still works.

I've been using SplashTop for quite some time. It sounds like TeamPlayer is a similar concept.
I'll look into that too. The only hack I recall is the multi user hack, but you had to have RDP in the first place.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
Mark Stega Wrote:I just upgraded two Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and one Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All three upgrades were smooth.

The only issue that I see is that I can't remote desktop from Windows 10 to Windows 10 using a local account as the login. It fails (even though I can do RDP to the same system from my Android based Remote Desktop).

I also lost the multi-RDP hack, but it won't be long before that reappears for 10...

Did you try to login with <machinename>\<username>?
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
wuench Wrote:Did you try to login with <machinename>\<username>?
I had not tried that since I never had to use that format before (from Windows 8.1). But good suggestion, this works.

[Edit] I went back to the MSA since I had installed programs, etc. I noticed that I had misspelled the <machinename> part of the logon, but is was working. Gotta love Microsoft 'security'
Mark Stega

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC and my Samsung windows tablet ellisr63 1 539 09-04-2021, 01:12 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Beware of Latest Windows 10 Update kblagron 10 4,538 09-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Abandoned Windows 10 for Windows 7 gReatAutomation 6 2,585 06-13-2019, 01:01 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  MS Speech Platform configuration on Windows Server 2012 mbrown 3 4,042 08-30-2017, 09:34 AM
  Windows 8.1 tablet options, February 2014 Mark Stega 38 19,381 11-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Bal
  Windows 8 Tablet Screen Control rsw686 7 5,193 09-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  fresh windows install? rtarver 3 3,052 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
  Lenovo Windows 8 Tablets Mark Stega 1 2,192 11-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Last Post: bryanb
  Windows 7 64 bit new install fails scott 11 6,593 01-10-2011, 02:59 AM
Last Post: scott
  Windows 7 64-bit install failing chmilar 7 4,184 10-21-2010, 09:52 PM