Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Train HTTP Trigger Driver
Does this require that you expose your CQC Web Server to the net?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
yeah, i had to port forward so ifttt could hit the trigger driver.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
That's fairly dangerous to do.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:That's fairly dangerous to do.
Why, what might happen?

I assume mine is exposed to the net as the only pc my CQC is on is also connected to the router.
How are you triggering the maker event? I just tested this out, created a Do button on Android to send a URL to HTTP Driver via Maker. It just makes the Elk announce "Test". It is taking around 15 seconds. Looks like it connects to the socket in around 7 seconds then takes another 7 or so to send the GET. CQC's response is less than a second.... I wonder how much of the delay is because I am using IFTT Do Button.

BTW, I have two copies of the HTTP driver running, one for external access that can't do dangerous stuff and one for local LAN access....
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Deane Johnson Wrote:Why, what might happen?

I assume mine is exposed to the net as the only pc my CQC is on is also connected to the router.

Unless you explicitly forward ports to the router, nothing on your machine is available to the outside world. It can only make outgoing connections, nothing form the outside can directly connect to it.

Once you port forward it, then it's available for anyone to connect to. There are lots of folks out there who do nothing but run computers that try ever IP address and probe every port to see what is exposed. They would easily figure out it's a web server.

It would not be obvious to them how to take advantage of that. But there would be nothing hiding the fact that it's a CQC web server or trigger driver. Given that CQC is not widely known, that might also not provide a lot of useful info.

But still, it's not something you would generally want to do if there's another way to do what you need to.
Dean Roddey
I did an IF Receive Web Request THEN Send Web Request.

For the Receive Web, I named my event test and copied the URL it provided me with my secret key in it.

For the Send Web Request, I simply put in http://domain:port/string Method POST and Content Text/Plain.

When you go to my Receive Web Request test url string, it turns on the light in my master bedroom.

For what you're attempting, just do it direct - make a shortcut on your phone home screen that goes right to your HTTP Server.
do the needful ...
I worry about hackers like I worry about a car accident. Sure, there's always a chance, but I still drive every day. Smile
do the needful ...
OK, so I can trigger things to happen in my home from the HTTP Trigger and IFTTT, which is neat. Now I need to figure out how to have CQC use IFTTT to send notifications down to my phone.

Should be easy because each 'event' that I create in IFTTT Receive is unique. So I could trigger off of my Nest to throw a notification if the house gets above 80 or something.

There is a System::HTTPGet that has some options I am going to try to see if it will work.

SO MUCH FUN!
do the needful ...
Well, that works, too.

Time from triggering action to iOS notification was maybe 2 seconds.

SUPER EXCITED!
do the needful ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trigger on Russound F1 button xlurkr 6 1,818 06-01-2020, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  RFXcom driver or Tellstick driver kernal69 8 3,755 01-25-2020, 03:06 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Simple HTTP Call to Device from CQC mjwhite214 19 7,155 01-23-2020, 03:35 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Dune driver wait for config error ellisr63 44 13,304 11-28-2019, 06:35 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Sending HTTP PUT Commands gReatAutomation 2 1,672 09-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  TTS II Driver requirements znelbok 1 1,248 05-20-2019, 09:34 PM
  CQC to PowerView Hub via Serial Driver Deane Johnson 18 8,645 05-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  HAI Driver Issue avtexan 6 4,213 04-06-2018, 02:06 PM
  Monoprice 8x8 HDMI matrix Driver NightLight 13 10,148 09-04-2017, 09:45 AM
  ELK V2 Driver - AreaArm field & Triggers? sic0048 4 4,071 08-19-2017, 04:46 PM