Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My woes with Z-Wave
jkmonroe Wrote:no, im agreeing with your logic. i didn't realize that hardwired was that much cheaper.

and im thinking of whether or not there is a realistic way to get the wires ran and the walls patched up. i dont live in WV anymore, so a competent handyman is going to be $100+ per hour. and i have no frame of reference to how quickly someone could do the work -

if security was my goal, i wouldnt hesitate. but it's not, so im wishy-washy.

im trying to build out a cart on AO to see what im looking at hardware wise.

don't get an electrician, get a handyman. email me, i used to live in DC, still have tons of friends in both DC and NoVa, i'm sure they know folks in MD if thats your address. A handyman won't cost $100, just pay cash. No more than $50/hr i'm guessing.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
i have half of the ceiling and walls in my basement open already.

from there i can get to the front of the house middle floor.

i have a chase that goes from the basement to the 'attic', so i can pull a bundle through there to get above the third floor. i dont have vertical access through the top plate to go down to the windows, but i guess i could come through a dividing wall and snake wire under the baseboard and up to the windows. so that could take care of the top floor.

leaving only the middle floor back wall to be handled by a pro. and some patch work that im sure i wont want to do myself. Smile

maybe this will work ...
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
If you live in DC proper or even Arlington/Alexandria/Tysons/Bethesda, trust me, resale values will cover the cost of wired. Wireless is tougher to recoup.

But either way, it just works. Esp wired, and if its open, just try it. Tip: If you have several windows together, run cat5e. You can get 4 windows done with one run, and re-use the wiring if you decide to stick with your silly insane zWave plan. Also, I only used recessed wiring for the "publicly visible" windows, its a PITA to drill the wiring down through the sill/etc, plus it voids warranty on vinyl windows. I went with surface mount for the bedrooms, kitchen, den. Then I used the flat conduit stuff to hide the wires. After initially complaining, the wife didn't even notice as I intentionally ran the conduit next to the electric outlet which she's used to seeing wiring come from.
oh btw I may have several extra wired sensors, elk expander boards, and maybe even a motion or two. Plus other sensors i've forgotten about. If you go down that route let me know, and i'll send it all to you. Its been in the basement for 5 years, its all new so I don't want to throw it out, but its just taking up space.

The net cost will be less after that. Heck, i can send it *now* if you want, just pick up the Elk panel.
you know, the elk can handle both wired and wireless on the same panel. maybe i can hardwire what *I* can do myself, and just grab wireless for the middle floor back wall. That would be 5 wireless sensors, and the rest wired. It would be easy enough to piecemeal.

OR, since the chase to the attic obviously goes through the middle floor, see if there is a way to get those wires out of the chase and run them under the baseboard to the back wall.

But no matter how you slice it, we're talking a thousand feet of cable - maybe more.

And if I end up running cat5/cat6, I may as well throw some ethernet outlets up while im doing it.

So what started as a thread of my z-wave woes has morphed into hardwiring a security system and adding ethernet jacks. good times. Smile
do the needful ...
jkmonroe Wrote:But no matter how you slice it, we're talking a thousand feet of cable - maybe more.

And if I end up running cat5/cat6, I may as well throw some ethernet outlets up while im doing it.

So what started as a thread of my z-wave woes has morphed into hardwiring a security system and adding ethernet jacks. good times. Smile

More than a few thousand, scope creep comes in bigtime. I ended up doing 100+ runs since I had things open, at an average of 70 feet per run. Motions in the bathroom, speakers in every freaking room, temperature sensors, etc.

Heck, I had so many runs, I needed to put in special holders to support the weight.
right. so maybe since im running wires i should add an extra 2 per room just in case i want to run HDMI over Cat5 and it requires 2. and at least 2 ethernet jacks per room.

scope-creep, as you say, is a very real thing. lucky for me i really like my Sonos, so no hard wired speakers. Smile
do the needful ...
look at what your care package could look like. This is my "stuff I thought i'd put into the HA system but never did". 1 zone expander, 3 motions, a 2nd audio amplifier, fire alarm pulls, uh, other stuff.

[Image: sT5BB2al.jpg]
i like that you just have a shelf of extra stuff. all organized and what not. mine just gets tossed into a (growing) box.

the wife and i had a brief discussion about the security system, then the baby woke up. :-(

you need to get that brultech installed. have the electrician do it when you get the wires pulled.
do the needful ...
jkmonroe Wrote:i like that you just have a shelf of extra stuff. all organized and what not. mine just gets tossed into a (growing) box.

the wife and i had a brief discussion about the security system, then the baby woke up. :-(

you need to get that brultech installed. have the electrician do it when you get the wires pulled.

thats the on-deck shelf. I didn't show you the "tried it and unplugged it" set of boxes. Or the two 10 foot "should I sell it or not" shelves.

I have a spare parts *ROOM*.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Z-Wave PC Controller simplextech 0 1,978 01-06-2020, 05:54 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  GE Z-Wave Outdoor Switch / Garage Door / Alarm gReatAutomation 0 816 06-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Basic Z Wave/CQC Integration Question MikeW 6 2,685 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: MikeW
  Newer Leviton Z-Wave Lamp Dimmers Deane Johnson 2 2,141 11-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Trouble getting CQC working with ISY Z Wave Deane Johnson 47 12,149 01-14-2016, 04:43 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Z-wave client driver royalj7 6 3,404 11-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Last Post: jaydonoghue
  Z-Wave 'Poll' jkmonroe 5 2,964 06-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Getting started in Z-wave pinballmark 31 10,450 12-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Bridging Z-Wave networks radiopaque 2 1,958 08-25-2014, 01:11 AM
Last Post: radiopaque
  Determined to finally get Z-Wave VRC0P Working Hiller 121 30,155 08-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe