Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philips Hue Reliability
(cross post with Cocoontech)

I have 10 bulbs on 4 switches in locations with a very shallow single gang or in one instance, not even a real single gang. They can't fit automated light switches and wouldn't you know it - those are the lights always left on.

The reviews I had read about Philips Hue were disastrous in terms of stability of communications, both on smart things & amazon. Said that lights were always losing connection, great idea but bad execution. But, jkmonroe has a 0% failure rate and great success.

Does anyone here have first hand knowledge of these, either in terms of MTBF or erratic network connections? I had a 40% failure rate for Intermatic switches within 6 months, 90% for CFLs within 12 months across 3 brands, so the wife is pretty skittish about tinkering with new automated lighting. (Leviton ViziaRF+ has been awesome though. except for the stupid VRUSB)
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I would be careful reading the reviews from some of the 'hubs.' Integration between Hue and SmarThings/Wink is disastrous, so read the reviews accordingly.

When we get a hangout down on the schedule, I'm happy to demo how my setup is configured.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
jkmonroe Wrote:I would be careful reading the reviews from some of the 'hubs.' Integration between Hue and SmarThings/Wink is disastrous, so read the reviews accordingly.

Oh, interesting. So the issue isn't on the Philips end, its on the other side.
I purchased a set of 4 bulbs, hub, and tap. The first set started to lose track of the bulbs within a week. I returned them and got another set, and this one was fine up until a few months ago when it lost connection to one bulb. Sometimes I hit the tap, and nothing happens... the tap has now lost 2 out of 3 of my settings too. I have Insteon throughout the house with ZERO problems. I think the Philips Hue is a great idea that has poor reliability.
tia, Ron

My HT equipment I want to control by CQC (some day hopefully)
Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, LG 86" 4k FP, and a projector in the future
Well I now have 8 lux, 3 link, and by tonight i'll have a total of 4 taps. I'll let you know how my experience is.
interesting. The 4 lux I bought today & installed worked for a minute. I then tapped another scene and now they're in perma-disco mode, flashing on & off. I can't seem to make them stop, I unscrewed them, waited 5m, screwed back in, back to flashing.

They are hooked into a zWae dimmer switch which I left on, i'll try swapping it out for an old school $2 rocker to see if that helps. Dunno why it would, though.

And, one of the 3 Links I bought & installed yesterday isn't working.

So far this is a luke-warm thing. And its making me go very cautiously before I abandon the zWave ship.
IVB Wrote:interesting. The 4 lux I bought today & installed worked for a minute. I then tapped another scene and now they're in perma-disco mode, flashing on & off. I can't seem to make them stop, I unscrewed them, waited 5m, screwed back in, back to flashing.

They are hooked into a zWae dimmer switch which I left on, i'll try swapping it out for an old school $2 rocker to see if that helps. Dunno why it would, though.

And, one of the 3 Links I bought & installed yesterday isn't working.

So far this is a luke-warm thing. And its making me go very cautiously before I abandon the zWave ship.
I have mine hooked up through a Insteon dimmer switch.
tia, Ron

My HT equipment I want to control by CQC (some day hopefully)
Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, LG 86" 4k FP, and a projector in the future
ellisr63 Wrote:I have mine hooked up through a Insteon dimmer switch.

I pulled the zwave switch, put in an old school rocker, it started working again. Not sure if it was the power loss or rocker that made it work, let's see how the next 60 days go.
These LEDs don't take very well to being on dimmer switches. They are fine on regular on/off switches, but the dimmer modules regulate the power which puts them off kilter.

maybe this is why i have a lot of success? none of my bulbs are on other automated modules (switch or dimmer).
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
Well, one of my first two taps stopped working, and one of the lux stopped working. (always been on a rocker, not a dimmer) Wife doesn't mind the color but isn't wild about it. $60/bulb is out of the question esp with the reliability issues, so there's a very very high chance I only use the already-purchased lights in those areas that I cannot use zWave in. The taps feel plastic & cheap, so thats another strike against it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Philips Hue set up questions Deane Johnson 42 16,360 01-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Philips Hue group config pinballmark 8 4,518 07-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Questions on Philips Hue Deane Johnson 1 2,152 11-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey