Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CQSL Audio Player and Internet Steams?
can the built in player stream audio from the Internet?
No, not currently. It's is a standard V2 media renderer which doesn't have any understanding of a stream. In theory, if you set up collection such that it pointed (at the collection level) to some path that would connect to a streaming source, and the appropriate DirectShow filters were in place, that it would work. But it would be only by happenstance, not because it's supported per se. And of course it wouldn't update the metadata, because it's assuming that the media is local and that the metadata in the repository is permanent. It has no way of pulling metadata from a stream.

This is something that hopefully won't be too long before it will be addressed. Since I'm working (on the side slowly) on RTP/RTCP and RTSP implementations, and those should provide us with the means to directly access (at least initially RTSP compliant) media streams and stream the data ourselves, we can start more to support that kind of thing.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
i had an idea with these winbook tablets -

since i plan to dedicate one per room, i can run a software media player and use BT speakers. no real reason other than the cost of Sonos, but im struggling to justify $200 for a guest room that might only see use 10 days of the year.

instead, i put softsqueeze on that winbook, and connected one of those Jam BT speakers. total investment including tablet? $63, and i have streaming spotify loud enough for a small room.

and now im building a static interface for the guest room. i have some ideas that id like to implement, but ill post those elsewhere when/if i get stuck. Smile
jkmonroe Wrote:can the built in player stream audio from the Internet?

Dean, this is something that would take the internal media player to the next level.

I've stuck with sqeeezebox because it offers this functionality, but I'd probably switch over to the native player if you could provide internet streaming functionality. I suspect that a lot of people would consider it also.
I'd love google music integration..... 😁
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
If you have a linux based Logitech Media Server running you can have Google music. I spun up a Hyper-V VM instance specifically for this; LMS originally started out on a Raspberry Pi but was too much overhead to handle.
i tried lms, but its really buggy with spotify (triode plugin). it 'works', but not to the level of set-forget. im going to keep trying, but i may end up just getting a play:1

LMS, and ive tried softsqueeze, squeezelite, and squeezeplay, all w similar results.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQSL Interface Driver connects but no control NightLight 3 569 10-26-2021, 01:12 PM
Last Post: NightLight
  What is a modern multizone audio amplifier working with CQC? ghurty 5 1,673 04-28-2020, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Bugman
  Sonos Zone Player - Win10 zra 9 3,329 09-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Last Post: zra
  Moving the CQSL server Dean Roddey 28 7,471 09-03-2019, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  New construction with a nice size budget. How would you do multizone audio? ghurty 7 3,728 03-27-2018, 02:12 PM
  Sonos Zone Player V2? karenlee 36 17,624 03-26-2017, 09:38 AM
  Sage Player driver error EST 2 2,274 12-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Last Post: EST
  Sonos V2 Driver Player Functions zra 83 19,874 10-20-2015, 06:29 PM
  CQSL Repo Manager issue Bugman 5 2,832 04-11-2015, 08:16 AM
  VLC player in embeded HTML causes CQC to crash ghurty 4 2,797 01-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Last Post: ghurty