Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambient light sensor???
I have a tendency to run my lighting all of the time, but there are bright days when it could be reduced considerably, and dreary days when I would like to have the light level increase.

Being a home automation junkie, I would like for this to be automatic, of course.

Does anyone know of what one might use as an ambient light level sensor? I'm thinking of having it in the room and when the light level changes, it would command CQC to adjust the lighting accordingly.

Being less smart than the average bear, I need to keep it fairly simple (or beg for lots of help).

Deane
You already have a Z-Wave setup, so you could get one of the Aeotec (Aeon Labs) multi-sensors that the Z-Wave V2 driver supports. It provides luminance, humidity, temp, and motion sensing in one package. It's the DSB05 model.

It's a battery powered unit, so it only wakes up once in a while to send out the luminance, humidity and temp values. Motion is sent out when motion is detected/stopped. I think that the driver sets it up (when you use the driver's Auto-Cfg button) to send out info like every 8 minutes. So it wouldn't work if you want it to immediately sense lighting level changes and report that to CQC. There would be a lag, up to 8 minutes worst case, before CQC would see that change.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
That product looks like the right thing. The lag in reporting is not an issue as I would have no need for instantaneous response such as you might need in a security system.

Having not seen the driver functions, I assume it reports light level at all times and the CQC driver would cause CQC to respond at various levels.

I would need to set it up so it didn't respond when the lights are turned out intentionally, such as during a movie.
I have the Aeotec sensor, with plans to do the exact same thing once I can automate my blinds.

Keep the thread updated so I can just copy your logic when the time comes.

:cool
The last reported values are of course always available via the fields associated with the device. Any response to changes in light level would be up to you to implement. But you could set a field trigger on the luminance field such that it triggers any time it moves above a particular level (and won't retrigger until it goes back down and then exceeds the threshold again.)

That much can be setup in CQC to happen. You would need to create a triggered event to trigger off that change to do whatever you want. Or, you could do a scheduled event that runs every, say, 10 minutes and looks at the luminance value and, if it's changed sufficiently, do something based on the new level.

In the latter scenario you would have to save the previously seen value so that you would know it changed. In the triggered event, the even would only trigger when the change you set up on the field has occurred.

So, they both have their pros and cons based on what you want to do.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean Roddey Wrote:You already have a Z-Wave setup, so you could get one of the Aeotec (Aeon Labs) multi-sensors that the Z-Wave V2 driver supports. It provides luminance, humidity, temp, and motion sensing in one package. It's the DSB05 model.

It's a battery powered unit, so it only wakes up once in a while to send out the luminance, humidity and temp values. Motion is sent out when motion is detected/stopped. I think that the driver sets it up (when you use the driver's Auto-Cfg button) to send out info like every 8 minutes. So it wouldn't work if you want it to immediately sense lighting level changes and report that to CQC. There would be a lag, up to 8 minutes worst case, before CQC would see that change.

I don't have one yet but I've read that you can power by USB (phone charger) which may take it to an active mode. Some detail here

-Ben
Sorry for diggin up an old thread. Is there a good ambient light sensor. Would anything z-wave work?

Trial and error?

Optionally, can I add an offset to the "is night" command.

Thank you!
(05-27-2021, 10:55 AM)NightLight Wrote: Sorry for diggin up an old thread. Is there a good ambient light sensor. Would anything z-wave work?

Trial and error?

Optionally, can I add an offset to the "is night" command.

Thank you!

Aeotec has a sensor which was mentioned above, never heard if it works with CQC, but read about it some time back.  I use triggers and IsNight() shown below:

On the IsNight() command, it does take an offset as a parameter.

IsNight(offset)  
Quote:
[*]offset: 
The minute offset from the current time
This command returns True if it is night time in the local time zone, based on the lat/long information set on CQC. Note that if this information has not been set yet, this command will fail and cause an error. You can provide a minute offset as well, up to an hour's worth. Negative numbers will reduce the range, and positive numbers will increase it. So if 6PM/6AM are actual values, -60 will make that 7PM and 5AM, reducing the range on both ends, so it's now an hour after sunset and an hour before sunrise. Positive 60 will do the opposite, making it an hour before sunset, and an hour after sunrise.

[*]
if you are using a trigger, you can adjust it for sunset forward or negative, I use it to turn on lights 30 minutes before the official sunset for my lat/long. 

Side Note:  I did get a chuckle seeing your user name and you were asking about night lights
Thank you,

I'm going to try this guy.

https://www.amazon.ca/Aeon-Aeotec-Z-Wave...651&sr=8-4

I did find the offset. I don't know how I didn't see this the first time. My b..
(05-27-2021, 10:35 PM)NightLight Wrote: Thank you,

I'm going to try this guy.

https://www.amazon.ca/Aeon-Aeotec-Z-Wave...651&sr=8-4

I did find the offset. I don't know how I didn't see this the first time. My b..

Let us know how it works, I would be interested in something like that for those dark / cloudy days where sunrise/sunset doesn't matter.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lutron Caseta Occupancy Sensor bryanb 14 2,662 04-26-2020, 08:59 AM
Last Post: bryanb
  Lutron RadioRA 2 - Occupancy Sensor simplextech 8 2,331 02-18-2020, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Ethernet controlled temp sensor and relay Ron Haley 1 1,420 02-28-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Using a DSB45 water sensor ghurty 2 2,002 04-09-2017, 07:03 PM
  Zwave - FIBARO Door/Window Sensor + Temp batwater 5 4,058 03-18-2017, 02:16 PM
  Z-Wave Device config GoControl Door/Window Sensor batwater 50 16,259 03-09-2016, 01:21 PM
  Aeotec multi-sensor royalj7 28 7,517 11-28-2015, 10:03 AM
  VRC0P Multi Level sensor jaydonoghue 17 6,144 08-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Detect light on (low voltage) on M1 charles 0 1,493 02-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Last Post: charles
  Is it possible for CQC to see how a light was turned on/off? ghurty 2 1,778 01-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Last Post: IVB