Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to put a pause in an Action list?
How do I put a 3 second pause in the Action list? I need to have one of the relays maintain contact for 3 sec, then release. The device it triggers is designed to stop again after a momentary contact closure, but will continue to operate if the contact closure is held for 3 seconds. I need to have the contact released after 3 seconds so it will be ready to toggle in the other direction when I need it to. This is the motor drive for my horizontal masking system that takes it from a 16:9 to 2.35:1 picture ratio and back.
System::WaitTimer
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Thank you. I looked and looked for the work "pause". Never thought of "wait".

I have to choices , Index and MilliSecs. Is Index the seconds, and of course MiliSecs being what it says.
Here is the excerpt from the Action Reference Guide. Index is to select one of the 4 available timer slots...

Quote:WaitTimer(index, waitmillis)

The action system allows you to create up to 4 ‘timers’. These are count up timers that you can reset at any time, and ask for the
elapsed time since they were reset. This command will wait for the timer to have counted up to the indicated number of milliseconds. If
the timer is already beyond the wait time, this command returns immediately, else it pauses for the required amount of time.
A common use for these times is not to actually block on them immediately, but to start one up, go work on other things, and then wait
for the time. If the other work took longer than the timer was set for, you will not block at all. Else, you will block for the remaining time.
For instance, if you power on a projector during home theater startup, and it must be given 5 seconds to warm up, you can do it first,
start a time, power up other devices, and then at the end, wait on the time, and finally do other things that would require that the project
be warmed up.
The index is zero based.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
I think I got it working. I was looking for a place to define the Index, but apparently I simply put a "1" in that space indicating I'm using up Parameter 1. I then put 3000 in the Milliseconds space. It sound like my relay is operating on a 3 second time frame.

EDIT: An ohm meter confirms it's doing what it should.

Thanks
Another option is to use System:Tongueause; Also quoting from the Action Reference Guide

Quote:Pause(millis)

This command will pause for the indicated number of milliseconds. Millis must evaluate to an unsigned value. To avoid locking up the
system forever by accident, the millis value will be clipped to no more than 2 minutes. This command is not intended to be used for long
pauses, just for those types of pauses required to allow settle time on devices and so forth.
Mark Stega
Yeh, the pause would be better in this case. The timer is more for something like where you want to turn on a number of devices and then once they are all on do something else, but you have to be sure to wait at least some amount of time before you start the second phase. So you can start the timer, go do all of the power ons, and only then at the end, wait for any remaining time. If that amount of time has already passed, then you won't stop at all. So it's sort of a conditional wait.

Pause allows for an unconditional wait that's always done and you don't come back until the indicated time has elapsed.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
There is also the timed field change that can be used in this example. I find it better than using a pause or wait.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
I was going to suggest that, but I think that is too small an interval for the timed field change? I didn't have time at the moment to go look it up. Yeh, I just checked it and it works on the scale of minutes, where he needs just a few seconds.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Can this be an addition to the action - select the time and the time unit for the pause. Its a very handy action and I use it a lot.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  System::Pause gReatAutomation 1 435 09-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Where's the Action Editor? Deane Johnson 4 1,238 07-30-2019, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  List Based Music Browsing jrlewis 36 12,096 06-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  list browser? jkmonroe 4 2,198 10-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe