Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Experience here with Carl's Electronics Relays
I bought two of the K1610 to operate my motorized shades. These are the "built and tested" models. All went well so far as integrating with CQC.

As I began to use them, I discovered that relay #5 on one of them, and relay #2 on the other doesn't function. They appear to fail to move at all.

I see Carl's doesn't have a support connection. Anyone have any experience of this sort with Carl's.

The units themselves are pretty nice. Appear to be well built and respond well to CQC. Not difficult at all to set up.
Deane Johnson Wrote:I bought two of the K1610 to operate my motorized shades. These are the "built and tested" models. All went well so far as integrating with CQC.

As I began to use them, I discovered that relay #5 on one of them, and relay #2 on the other doesn't function. They appear to fail to move at all.

I see Carl's doesn't have a support connection. Anyone have any experience of this sort with Carl's.

The units themselves are pretty nice. Appear to be well built and respond well to CQC. Not difficult at all to set up.

I have two of them and have been using them for years without issue. I use them to control my pond items along with low voltage exterior lighting. Never had an issue so I really am not much help.
There is a test program available from the Carls site and maybe you should try that first. Just maybe it is something with CQC.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
I downloaded the software. I don't seem to be able to get it communicating with the relay box. I will work on it tomorrow when I'm fresh. Tonight, I may be making an obvious error.
Be sure to pause the CQC driver because otherwise it will have the serial port open and their software won't be able to access it.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I had moved it to a fresh port. I'm thinking Windows 8.1 might be the hang up. In the morning, I'll fire up the laptop with XP on it to eliminate that possibility.
I got the IBM laptop fired up, downloaded the test software, then discovered the IBM has a 15 pin serial socket, not a 9 pin.

However, there have been some developments. I have everything working except the #5 relay on kit #1. That has been the problem from the beginning. All others are working normally.

So, to eliminate CQC as an issue, I simply moved the COM feed from unit #1 to unit #2. The #5 relay on unit #2 pulls in as it should. That pretty much proves I have a defective relay box.

I'll have to Carl's Monday and try to deal with it.
The most likely indicator that it's not the driver is that the same one doesn't fail on both of them. If #x failed on both of them, that would point more towards the driver (though of course it could also point towards a production run error as well since they were probably made in the same batch.) But if they aren't both failing the same way, then likely it's just an issue in one of them.

BTW, you can hit a Radio Shack and pick up a 16 to 9 pin converter (and possibly save them from bankruptcy in the process I guess.) You might have other needs for such in the future.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I think I now know what the problem is. Relay #5, Box 1, and Relay #2, Box 2, are still acting up. A sharp tap with the fingers on the box will cause either one of them to operate. These are good old fashioned relay sticking issues.

The specs are that they will operate on 9v to 12v. The Carl's power supplies have adjustable voltage. I had been operating them on 9 v. I increased it to 12 v. and at the moment they are operating normally.

I'll just have to see if they continue to, or if those two relays are going to be troublesome.

NEXT QUESTION: How do I put a 3 second pause in the Action list? I need to have one of the relays pull in and hold for 3 sec., then release. The device it triggers is designed to immediately stop on a momentary contact closure, but will take over and continue to operate on it's own after 3 seconds. I need to have the contact released after 3 seconds so it will be ready to toggle in the other direction when I need it to. This is the motor drive for my horizontal masking system that takes it from a 16:9 to 2.35:1 picture ratio and back.
Because my power supplies are about 35' from my boxes, I had to run them at 12 volt and I had to increase the size of the supply due to line loss over the 35'

I previously used these to control my Irrigation valves and they worked great.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
My progress came to a grand screeching halt when I made a big cut on my little finger on an metal electrical box cover. The ER, 10 stitches, a tetanus shot and I'm back at it.

Now I have to work with a splint so it doesn't flex.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Template / Overlay design for mobile device - Seeking experience input batwater 4 4,674 09-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Fonceur
  A thought about the first user experience scott 15 5,012 08-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Squeezebox experience Ron Haley 9 3,781 11-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Last Post: jkish
  My experience with Z-Wave through elk OR how do i make groups or change the names? SamVimes2 6 2,774 07-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Last Post: SamVimes2
  Elk relays aren't always set to what they say IVB 4 1,749 05-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Last Post: Black Magic
  Using the global cache relays? notyou 1 1,718 02-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey