Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System crashed, unable to get it going again.
Found it. It's not huge. Can I just attach that folder to the email. Or does it have to be done another way.
If you want to zip it up and send the whole thing, yeh, you can do that.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I've been working with it throughout the evening and have had no further difficulties. I am convinced that when I copied a bunch of buttons that had already been programmed, intending to change them, that somehow I got the fatal loop. Haste makes waste.
I'll take a look at the files. I just got what I was working on today to a point where I can leave off until tomorrow, so I'll take a look at this and see if the issue is still there.
Dean Roddey
OK, yeh, it was what I suspected.

1. Main Screen II has an overlay whose initial template is \User\Sub Screen - Blank
2. That screen in turn has an overlay whose initial template is itself, so it just continues in a loop till it blows up.

That is supposed to be caught when you try to load it and any recursive links like that broken so it won't blow up. But clearly that has somehow gotten broken. I'll look into that.

That would also be why the RIVA client failed, because the RIVA server would have been blown up when it tried to load that template (it loads the template on behalf of the RIVA client.)
Dean Roddey
Thank you Dean for all of your time on this. I'm not sure I'm using the most elegant approach to my design. I was mostly trying out some things to see what might work out best. I got to playing a little rough.

I am wondering if there is any way to have the control buttons outside of the Overlay box and have them instruct which Template to put in the Overlay. This way, there would be only one set of buttons instead of a set in each Overlay, much like you see on my demo.

http://www.deanejohnson.com/johnsonhomet...ystem.html

I'm also open to finding a better way altogether to set things up if there are any suggestions.
Deane Johnson Wrote:I am wondering if there is any way to have the control buttons outside of the Overlay box and have them instruct which Template to put in the Overlay. This way, there would be only one set of buttons instead of a set in each Overlay, much like you see on my demo.
actually, that is a very common way to handle this sort of thing... makes the templates/overlays so much nicer...
or put another way, if you were forced to keep all you buttons inside the overlay, that would be horrible...

for example here is one of my templates that I was working on, the bit in the middle is an overlay, all the buttons around it are on the main template...
[Image: CQC4_5_20CABbob.jpg]

if you look in the User Systems area of the forum you should be able to find actually good examples...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Deane Johnson Wrote:I am wondering if there is any way to have the control buttons outside of the Overlay box and have them instruct which Template to put in the Overlay. This way, there would be only one set of buttons instead of a set in each Overlay, much like you see on my demo.

Oh, sorry, I assumed that is what you were doing, or I would have 'intervened'. Basically there are two ways to load a template into an overlay.

1. Some widget that has been loaded into the overlay calls Intf.Viewer::LoadNewTemplate(). This command just works on the 'parent container'. That could be the main window or an overlay. It causes the parent container to be reloaded with the new template indicated.

2. Send the overlay a command from outside. So you give the overlay a name (which you have to do), and then it becomes available to send commands to. Other widgets in the same template as the overlay can send commands to the overlay to have it reload.

So, for the main template you have an overlay area and buttons along one edge that will send it commands to load up a template for that activity. That loaded template may itself have an overlay and buttons along an edge that do the same thing for a 'sub-activity'.

It's a hierarchical scenario, and generally speaking only widgets within the same template as the overlay can send it commands. Though, if you really need to allow a widget to send a load command to a template more indirectly it can be done. Where possibly though it's best to stick to that straight hierarchical scenario.

Does that make sense? So, in your case it would be something like:

1. Buttons in the main template sends commands to the overlay in the main template to load up a template for the main activity.
2. That loaded template for activity X may in some cases also have an overlay and buttons for selecting sub-activity X-1, X-2, X-3, etc...
Dean Roddey
Thanks Dean and SomeWhatLost. I just got back in town from attending a funeral and now l'm ready to slowly dig into this the rest of the day.

I'm glad to get the news on what can be done and now I just need to focus on it conceptually. I've got the buttons inside the box, which was my understanding of the correct approach, so I need to get them to the outside out. I thought that was pretty clumsy for such sophisticated software. I'm glad I misunderstood.
OK, I have the buttons placed on the Main Screen Template

I have an Overlay installed on the Main Stream Template named ControlsContainer.

The template I want to place in the ControlsContainer is "Sub-Screen - DVD"

I can't figure out which Command to use to tell it to put the "Sub-Screen - DVD" template in the Overlay named "ControlsContainer"

(All parenthesis to be removed)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  System::Pause gReatAutomation 1 494 09-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  GE Heavy Duty 40 Amp Outdoor Switch (14285) / Misting System gReatAutomation 0 807 06-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Adding custom tiles/overlays to the auto-gen system Dean Roddey 1 1,642 07-20-2018, 08:14 PM
  System Config tom 35 13,296 01-12-2018, 09:02 AM
  New HVAC System - Nest? dgage 5 4,206 05-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Last Post: dgage
  Keep system from sleeping George M 8 6,397 01-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Last Post: wuench
  Porting Auto-Gen Music Templates to Existing System TurboSam 4 3,264 08-31-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: TurboSam
  Need help to get a working system on CQC ellisr63 26 10,833 10-19-2015, 05:05 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Kiosk Error: "No CQC System ID was set" TurboSam 3 2,988 07-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Last Post: TurboSam
  Unable to connect to VRC0P Deane Johnson 19 4,542 11-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson