Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System crashed, unable to get it going again.
OK, though that's not optimal, it makes a lot more sense than if it had run. So, I'm guessing there has to be something about the really big template that is freaking it out. I don't know why that would happen, since lots of folks are creating user interfaces for that resolution, but let's find out.

1. Go to the Admin user account and remove that interface as the default template.
2. Try to run the viewer again (with the /NoState since the attempt to run it above may have saved it as the last accesed template and that would cause it to try to load it again anyway even if not set as the default.)

If it comes up after you do that, then it has to be something about that template that is going on, and that may 'splain all the other things. If so, then I'm going to get you to e-mail it to me so that I can look at it and figure out is going on with it, and how to prevent such a thing from happening again. And of course I'll fix it for you and send it back so you can get going again.

You say you can open that same template in the editor, right?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
BTW, if I had to guess, it would be some sort of circular connection. I.e. template A loads B into an overlay, but the default initial template of the overlay is A or B, so it loads itself (or its parent A which loads B indirectly) which loads itself, which loads itself, forever until something blows up. That's the kind of thing that causes a program to fall over silently, because it never has a chance to recover before its stack overflows.

It's not supposed to be possible to configure such a thing, but it's always possible that something has slipped recently and it was never noticed. Inexperience is a powerful tool for discovering such things. Experienced users know not to do it because the program has chastised them in the past for trying. But if the checks get broken somehow, we don't realize it since everyone is avoiding doing it on their own.
Dean Roddey
I can open all 3 programs now.

I opened the template in Editor, but didn't try it in Viewer.

I note the iPad is now saying there is no file specified in Admin. I guess that means it operating as it should.
Dean Roddey Wrote:Inexperience is a powerful tool for discovering such things.

I should be of great value to you then.

I was afraid you were going to recommend I take another look at HomeSeer after today.:-)
OK, it's got to be the template. Read my post above yours and check in the editor that you aren't doing what I mentioned there. I.e. make sure that your overlay is not loading the template it is in, or it's parent template and causing some kind of circular connection. If so, you might get it fixed yourself pretty quickly.

But, either way, in the meantime, send me the files in:

[cqc]\CQCData\DataServer\Interfaces\User\xxxx

where [cqc] is where you installed CQC at, and where xxxx is the name of the scope you are putting your templates in. If you haven't created one, they will all be in User directly. If you can e-mail me those (at support at our domain), I will install them and see if I can figure out what is going on. I'll fix them quickly and send them back, and then work on trying to prevent whatever happened.
Dean Roddey
I think it might be impossible for me to find such a circle as there are so many places on the page that it could be.

There is, BTW, nothing on the page that needs to be used, I was simply trying things to see what might work for me, maye building toward something permanent,maybe not. I may need to find a simpler way to do things. I thought of simply making a series of templates that were identical except for the controls and not using the Overlays. The thing that held me back was the fact that a simple change on one template means going through each one and making the sames change. I've even wondered about using a pop up for the controls.

From my viewpoint, the file I send can be discarded after you've learned anything you want from it. I can take a different approach. It wouldn't hurt for me to clean things out and start fresh.

I'll start to work now on getting the files to you.
Definitely overlays are the way to go. Don't duplicate work by reloading the same stuff multiple times.
Dean Roddey
BTW, the only way such loops can be created is via overlays. An overlay has a setting for the template to load into it initially. If that is set, and it somehow manages to load itself (or some parent of its), then that will set off a circular path, because the main template will load. It will create the overlay, the overlay will try to load the initial template you told it to start with. If that template includes the same template that the overlay is in, then it will be created again and try to load the initial template, and so on.

So it's always a function of that initial template setting.

Well, not technically true, you can achieve the same thing by setting an initially template in the OnPreload command, which essentially does the same thing, just doing it as a command instead of hard coding it into the overlay configuration.
Dean Roddey
My CQCData folder has nothing in it except another one of those long number files created recently this evening.
That's not the one you want. THat's for client programs. The one you want is where you installed CQC, which will be something like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\CQC\CQCData\DataServer\Interfaces\User\

That's where the servers store stuff, and all of the client programs work by way of the servers. The stuff over in ProgramData is just for client programs to store stuff like their last positions, last files open, etc...
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  System::Pause gReatAutomation 1 494 09-03-2020, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  GE Heavy Duty 40 Amp Outdoor Switch (14285) / Misting System gReatAutomation 0 807 06-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Adding custom tiles/overlays to the auto-gen system Dean Roddey 1 1,642 07-20-2018, 08:14 PM
  System Config tom 35 13,296 01-12-2018, 09:02 AM
  New HVAC System - Nest? dgage 5 4,206 05-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Last Post: dgage
  Keep system from sleeping George M 8 6,397 01-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Last Post: wuench
  Porting Auto-Gen Music Templates to Existing System TurboSam 4 3,264 08-31-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: TurboSam
  Need help to get a working system on CQC ellisr63 26 10,833 10-19-2015, 05:05 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Kiosk Error: "No CQC System ID was set" TurboSam 3 2,988 07-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Last Post: TurboSam
  Unable to connect to VRC0P Deane Johnson 19 4,542 11-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson