Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos Zone Player V2?
Here is a CEPro story about it, though they keep saying "selected vendors", "key manufacturers" and "top-tier companies" and the like, i.e. they aren't just putting it out there. So, if they don't deem us any of those things, it may do none of us any good.

http://www.cepro.com/article/cedia_2015_...on_vendors
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
So I was just looking at the Napster (aka Rhapsody) streaming API. I was going through it and it all looked obvious enough. Then it says that, to actually play the music, you have to use one of their SDKs. And of course there's not one for either Windows or C++.
Dean Roddey
what about the spotify api? or even apple music/itunes?
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
I may be missing something but all you can do is get metadata. In order to play something you have to invoke a web browser using a URL which will run spotify's player. There's no way for us to access the stream and play it. That makes it fairly useless for our purposes.

OK, well there *was* a LibSpotify library, which apparently still doesn't directly let you get to the data, but provides it via a callback mechanism. But that library is no longer supported. They have a replacement for only for iOS and Android. They say that they hope to get it available for other platforms in 2016, so that could still be some time out, assuming they actually get it done.

I got a response from Napster/Rhapsody. He said that there is a direct API available if we will sign some NDA info. He passed the request on to the appropriate folks. Maybe we can get that. That would be the optimal scenario if we can directly access the data and play it ourselves, then we can have a headless streamer player, which could both be run in the background on IVs and within a driver.
Dean Roddey
So the 'appropriate folks' never responded, surprise, surprise. I pinged them again a couple days ago and still no response. I just don't get how so many companies just aren't even polite enough to respond to a legitimate query, even if it's just to say no.
Dean Roddey
(08-31-2016, 09:41 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: So the 'appropriate folks' never responded, surprise, surprise. I pinged them again a couple days ago and still no response. I just don't get how so many companies just aren't even polite enough to respond to a legitimate query, even if it's just to say no.

Dean - Any further progress on figuring out a streaming solution for music?  Have you looked at Pandora or GMusic?

I am considering buying into a Sonos Connect.  My fear is that the minute I do, they will implement the rumored changes and leave it uncontrollable by anyone except for the big boys who pay large licensing fees.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
Never got any responses, so no movement there.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sonos Log Message karenlee 5 772 10-24-2021, 04:18 AM
Last Post: karenlee
  Sonos Zone Player - Win10 zra 9 3,277 09-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Last Post: zra
  SONOS Driver Question gReatAutomation 13 5,546 08-23-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Sonos - PlayFovorite command NightLight 22 6,601 05-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Last Post: kblagron