Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off topic security question
Ok, long story short question.

We built a few years ago but never activated security. We decided to recently and had a company come out. For reasons best left undescribed, I couldn't be there and my wife handled it. When I came home that evening I tinkered with the new upgraded touchscreen for a bit and we settled down to the couch like usual. Bedtime comes and the thought occurs to me that I don't know where the keypad he pulled off to install the upgrade touchscreen is. Short search and no luck.

Fast forward to the morning and I call our sales advisor. She gets back to me with 'the installer said your garage keypad was defective and he couldn't get it to work so he disposed of it for you and replaced it with the one he took out'. My wife and I cry B.S. On that as the house is only 2 years old. Plus, before I even noticed it missing my wife had complained that he spent the whole time he was here on his BT phone talking to his wife and she overheard him commenting that 'it was a really nice one and he was going to install it in their home'. This while working on the garage keypad. There were other issues like him asking for our master security code while on the phone with his wife. I know, if he wanted our code he has it anyways. But, perception in front of the customer is very important. Plus, who's to say she didn't have him on speakerphone in front of her thug big brother.

Fast forward to tonight. We're torn because you don't want to piss off the guy that activated your security system. Right? So, you're wondering if there's a question in here. There is. I liked the keypad enough that another at the front door would be nice. I can find them online for about $205. Security company is willing to discount down to $255. Any chance I can install this myself, or am I sunk without installer codes and insider knowledge. This is a residential install by big name company.

I know this is a bit 'out there' but I trust the brains on this forum.

Thoughts please.

Thanks
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!
I think it depends on the alarm panel and who installed it (I think ADT often locks people out). My house came with a Vista 20p panel and I was able to use the default installer code to "recalibrate" to my sisters house, lol. I'd suggest trying to find the default master code online and testing it out.

With regard to the shady installer, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable with anyone knowing all the zones and codes to my house. Part of the comfort in my system is that when I took over, I changed it from about 8 zones to 100 or so zones.
Thanks Standon,

Google turned up a few common installer codes for the ademco panel I have. I bought another touchscreen off of ebay so will brave it some weekend.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Server hardware question rhosch 3 1,410 10-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: rhosch
  WebRIVA, domains, Security Certs IVB 56 15,633 12-16-2018, 08:33 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Basic Z Wave/CQC Integration Question MikeW 6 2,601 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: MikeW
  event and subsequent countdown timer question dogman 9 3,941 05-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Last Post: dogman
  webriva template question lleo 21 9,532 01-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Security video with CQC bryanb 19 7,662 04-22-2016, 05:13 PM
  Tivo control question MikeA 21 10,526 12-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Last Post: dogman
  Question on Hue and Lux driver Deane Johnson 5 2,735 05-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  CQC web Server Question SomeWhatLost 14 6,717 05-13-2015, 07:45 PM
  IR code / Global Cache question ControlFreak 11 7,373 11-09-2014, 09:27 PM