Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our new HTML5 based web site
So, as part of the move to 4.5 we are hoping to move to a new HTML5 based web site. Since a lot of folks can't or won't use Silverlight, we had to keep our very old, sort of skanky HTML based web site around. Since we hope to do some things with HTML5 within the product itself in the context of version 5.0, I figured I'd kill two birds with one brain cell and convert our existing Silverlight web site as a first learning test. I'm waiting for more folks to take up the 4.5 betas and provide feedback on any issues, so this also kept me from breaking things that don't need breaking while I wait.

Here is what I have, which is just in an offline location until we are ready to do the release.

[It's now released so it's the real web site now]

I've left a couple pages out that don't absolutely need to be done before the release, and the slide show will get fancied up more and more slides added. That was the last thing I worked on, today, and basically I just wanted to get it working right first and make sure it does what it's supposed to do.

It should look basically like our old Silverlight site, since there wasn't time to really do any sort of complete re-working. It is nicer in some ways, for instance all dynamically loaded content fades in, which looks nice. A full re-work can wait for later. By the time I've gotten into all the stuff planned for 5.0, I'll be a Level 5 HTML5 Yoyo Master, and will probably be able to do something really cool.

Anyway, give it a try. If you see anything that looks wrong, get a screen snap and post it so that I can see what is happening. You will need a fully up to date browser, since it is HTML5 and makes use of the latest stuff. When it's really deployed, I'll probably make the main index.html be an introductory screen indicating that it does require an up to date browser and be prepared for possible lack of functionality if not.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I have to keep caching turned off during development, in order to see changes made, and I haven't turned it back on yet. So it will go back to the web server for each page probably. The final drop will turn the caching back on so it should only load a page once per visit.

There's actually a surprisingly small amount of 'stuff' involved. If it weren't for the slide show images, it would be tiny. A lot of it is done in code, and using common layouts for a lot of the pages means there's very little code per page as well.
Dean Roddey
Oops, I just noticed that the menu dropdowns are behind the slide show image, so I have to fix that. Oy!
Dean Roddey
OK,I fixed that and enabled caching. Oh, and I'm not currently trying to update the URL dynamically so that you can link to specific nested pages or anything. It'll always just be the main URL for now.

Now the slide show is there, I may need to put a slightly light border around the drop downs to make them stand out.
Dean Roddey
And the slide show is running faster on the server for some reason than it does here. I'll have to figure that one out.
Dean Roddey
OK, I see the problem there. If you go back to the main screen (click on the CQSL logo at the top) the old timer is not destroyed, so now it's running two timers and moves forward each time one pops. I fixed that one as well.

Yes, I realize I'm talking to myself here...
Dean Roddey
Anybody give it a try? Does it look like it's working ok?
Dean Roddey
Seems to be working fine. Didn't give it a full review or anything but no glaring issues.

I like the fade in and the menu drop downs seem faster to me as well.
Your menus on teh FAQ page need work. YOu have majour headings but no minor heading and that is where you can click to bring up dirrerent FAQ's.

i.e. under Install/Configure there are three FAQ's but it is not intuitive to click below the text to see each question.

Same goes under Technical Docs

Using FF 30.0

Does not work at all in ie7

Menus indicated above show up fine in Google Chrome

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
While you're doing this any chance you could move the videos to youtube and embed them?

Having to deal with .wmv on a mac or ipad is a pain.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Site certificate expiration Dean Roddey 1 293 10-23-2021, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  HTML5 and Webriva and the Interface Veiwer ghurty 1 1,619 07-11-2018, 10:50 PM
  Preview of new Web based RIVA client Dean Roddey 464 184,585 04-07-2018, 12:13 PM
  Test my new web site concept Dean Roddey 35 19,810 05-06-2017, 11:45 AM
  HTTP-based Trigger Driver Docs znelbok 5 4,145 03-11-2017, 09:34 PM
  Room config HTML based app preview Dean Roddey 5 3,751 11-05-2016, 02:53 PM
  New web site ideas Dean Roddey 23 7,663 11-02-2016, 08:44 AM
  is there plan to add HTML5 to v5 or CQC pasha 2 1,708 07-30-2016, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  CQC based home automation set up plans and videos? ghurty 1 1,849 04-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Field Based Triggered Events - Repeating wuench 4 2,236 12-27-2013, 06:59 AM
Last Post: George M