Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interface Commands
Where is there additional information in interface commands? I am attempting to load a sibling_overlay, and I am not sure what information is necessary in the "Target" box. I have looked @ the videos, they only touch the surface, and I have looked at the technical documents. They do not discuss what information is necessary in the "target" box.

Thanks!
The Interface Designer technical document is supposed to document any commands that the various widget types accept. It's possible that command (which is fairly new) might have gotten missed during the doc updates for the previous version.

In the meantime, it works like this:

1. Just the name of a sibling overlay. I.e. if overlays A and B are siblings, i.e. in the same template, just give "B" as the target if A wants to load B.

In the latest betas a new scheme is also available, where you can provide a 'path' where the path is just the names of the overlays along the way.

2. So, you can do something like ..\\..\\Status\Daily and that would go up to the next parent, then the next parent, then it would look for an overlay named Status there, and then within Status it would look for an overlay named Daily, and that one would be loaded. Generally speaking you should double slashes to avoid accidental escape characters when processing the command parameters.

If you try to do this to reload a container that directly or indirectly contains the invoking widget, it will fail. That's not allowed. Use LoadAncestor for that (which is also a new, and therefore not yet documented command.)
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean,

I understand what you have stated below, however, I do not follow by when I select "Cmd > IntfViewer::LoadSiblingOverlay" the action requires a target and a template name... is target referring to the directory? and template name, just the template? I feel as if they are redundant, but clearly they are not, I am just miss understanding target.

Thanks!

Caleb
The target is the target overlay to load into, which you would select via the two potential means I mentioned in the previous response. The template is the content that you want to load into that target overlay.
Dean Roddey
So if I named an overlay widget "overlay_iPhone", I would want to make the target "..\\overlay_iPhone"? Sorry Dean, this is just really confusing me beyond belief. I keep getting errors.
If you have A and B overlays in the same template, just make it B, i.e. overlay_Phone, no path part. That implies it's a 'sibling' overlay with that name, i.e. one in the same template as the one that contains the widget sending the command.
Dean Roddey
I got it! The secret which was holding me back from making sibling overlays work was the requirement that the overlay be called from another overlay ... clearly you explained this appropriately in the first comment, but I neglected to understand it fully. Therefore, to pull up anything other than a new page (which won't necessarily contain your desired "home" button), you must use an overlay to call an overlay IF it is a sibling overlay. Thanks a ton Dean for always sticking with it and helping! Got my minimalist iPhone interface going now.

For me, something that held me back was the requirement of the Target when setting up loadsiblingoverlay. The target is where one places the required name of the overlay widget, which for my example, that was overlay_iPhone.
In a situation where you have a template that has overlays A and B, if you want a button (or something else) in the template itself to load one of the overlays, you can just send a command directly to the overlay to reload something else.

LoadSibling is only required because the stuff loaded into A and B are from different templates that never knew about each other directly. So a button loaded up into A only ever had direct visibility of stuff in the same template it was part of. So, to load B, it has to do so indirectly by name.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to size Interface Viewer WebRIVA templates gReatAutomation 5 2,208 12-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Sending HTTP PUT Commands gReatAutomation 2 1,673 09-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Interface Viewer Hardware MikeW 10 8,627 01-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: NightLight
  Serial Commands for Hunter Douglas Hub! Deane Johnson 65 19,813 07-19-2016, 07:26 AM
  Inserting a delay between commands? jokermac 3 2,426 03-25-2015, 07:37 PM
  Thermostat Interface - Gestures jokermac 8 5,356 08-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Last Post: dgage
  GC-100 not accepting changes through web interface Dean Roddey 6 4,351 07-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Last Post: standon
  Building an Interface - help! jkmonroe 11 6,054 02-14-2014, 06:29 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  RCS thermostat interface pinballmark 3 3,525 06-05-2013, 06:25 PM
  Interface Reload Command DaveB 1 1,828 02-17-2013, 12:30 PM