Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export/Import Gobal Actions
I want to move over to using Global Actions so I can just maintain one piece of code, rather than having the same code in different Template Actions. How do I Export and then Import a set of Global actions to a different machine. I cannot find any export button in the Admin Interface. Is this another special DOS command?

PJG
You don't need to move global actions of course, since they are global and only exist in one place. I assume you mean how do you export a template actions and import it as a global action? There's currently no direct mechanism to do this. It would have to be done by cut-all and paste-all.

Keep in mind that the global actions can't access any widgets, so you could only use those for things that work on the standard (non-interface) command targets. So it may be that you can't use them in the way you are wanting to. But if the template actions are just doing non-widget stuff, then you could move that to global actions.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
pjgregory Wrote:I want to move over to using Global Actions so I can just maintain one piece of code, rather than having the same code in different Template Actions. How do I Export and then Import a set of Global actions to a different machine. I cannot find any export button in the Admin Interface. Is this another special DOS command?

PJG

I should have said different master server as I am developing on one system and need to transfer every thing to my second system which is now in the UK. So I would need the equivalent of Export and Import, just like I do with template packs, drivers events etc. not just cut and paste.

PJG
There is currently mechanism to do that, so you are going to be kind of stuck there. Sorry about that, but it's just never been implemented.

If you really need to do it, I guess one kludge but workable way (if there aren't that many of them) would be to copy and paste them to dummy scheduled events, and then export those. Import them into the new system, and copy and paste to them to the globals. Kind of painful but it's the only way I can think of at the moment to accomplish that.
Dean Roddey
Yes. I could do something like this, but it might cause more problems than it solves as I have to do all the updating using LogMeIn over the web to access the remote server.

What do your installation partners do about remotely maintaining a number of systems? If our project works, then we could end up trying to support 5 - 10 remote systems by the end of the year - all with more or less that same CQC installation. At the moment, there seems to be a different mechanism for each part of the system - template packs, variable field dumps, events etc. It takes a lot of time and careful checking to ensure that each type of component is correctly transferred.

Maybe as part of the next major revision, you could think of implementing a single export/import function as part of the Administrator that would allow you select which drivers, templates etc. you wants and then create a single file that can be transferred and loaded in one go to a remote machine.

And while you are at it, could you give the option of writing files to some sensible directory that we can specify like C:\CQCDump, rather than at the bottom of the ocean in

C:\users\paul\appdata\local\virtual store\program files (x86)\CQC\bin

I have to search for the field dump files every time I make them as I can never remember where they have been hidden.

PJG
What installers usually do is just copy their development system to the new customer machine, which makes it relicense and that becomes the customer's licensed system. Once it's in place, they typically make changes directly on the user's systems.

But, anyway, yeh, it would be nice to have such a mechanism. OTOH, we don't want to make it TOO easy, since it would make it trivial to get around the licensing system. So it's a sort of line to walk in a way.

On the directory, we don't write anything to that directory. What happened is that the virtualization scheme of Windows redirected the file to there. We wrote it to our bin directory, but then it got sent elsewhere.

Over time we've been updating things such that the server itself doesn't do the dump, but sends it to the client program which can write it somewhere. The server may not even have access to the directory, since the client can be on another machine. Not all of the export schemes have been updated to do this. We did the full log dump one a bit back, but there are still some more to do.

The scheduled/triggered event thing was really done sort ad hoc just to make it possible, since it was needed by an installer. But there wasn't time at the time to really do it nicely, since he needed it quickly. And there's not been time to get back to it since then.

But, anyway, we'll deal with these things as time allows of course. I've not wanted to do much work on the packaging system because it's really something that needs to be wholesale replaced, and work done to it as is would be sort of wasted.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a Way to Export Multiple Templates Together? kblagron 1 704 04-23-2020, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Pause / Resume Triggered or Scheduled Actions from the Interface Viewer gReatAutomation 2 1,943 10-30-2019, 01:38 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  cant import package "do not have necessary rights" ghurty 1 1,134 11-22-2018, 03:53 PM
  Floor Plan import George M 2 1,587 01-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Last Post: George M
  Some workarounds to copy/paste Actions RichardU 3 2,141 01-19-2018, 09:34 AM
  Regular Expersions in Actions znelbok 1 1,567 12-26-2017, 05:48 PM
  Saving Global Actions RichardU 1 1,497 12-20-2017, 11:18 AM
  String list in actions znelbok 3 2,616 11-06-2017, 04:10 PM
  How to Import a CQC Image Package KenC 9 6,491 10-28-2017, 04:38 PM