Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring CQC to new computer
I know I've done this before, but I do it so seldom that I can't remember the best path to take.
I have a CQC install with two computers. Running version 4.2.5, and would rather not change at this point if I can help it.
My server is fine, but I am replacing the client, which runs my MyMovies depository, and also the Application Server to launch movies on Total Media Theater. I have everything transferred and working on the new client except CQC.
Is is as simple as this?
- Backup the current CQC install from the client
- Rename the new client with the same computer name as the old client
- Give the new client the same IP address as the old client
- Reinstall the CQC backup on the new client
- Maybe make sure the SQL/ODBC stuff is setup correctly for MyMovies access

Or, do I have to do a clean CQC install on the new client and work it out from there?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Mike
One more tidbit. The client I am replacing is running W7 Home Premium, 32 bit. The new client is running W7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

MikeA Wrote:I know I've done this before, but I do it so seldom that I can't remember the best path to take.
I have a CQC install with two computers. Running version 4.2.5, and would rather not change at this point if I can help it.
My server is fine, but I am replacing the client, which runs my MyMovies depository, and also the Application Server to launch movies on Total Media Theater. I have everything transferred and working on the new client except CQC.
Is is as simple as this?
- Backup the current CQC install from the client
- Rename the new client with the same computer name as the old client
- Give the new client the same IP address as the old client
- Reinstall the CQC backup on the new client
- Maybe make sure the SQL/ODBC stuff is setup correctly for MyMovies access

Or, do I have to do a clean CQC install on the new client and work it out from there?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Mike
If it's not the master server, then it's fairly easy. Just do this:

1. Stop the service on the old machine
2. Copy the whole CQC directory to the new machine
3. Run the 4.2.5 installer. When it asks for new or upgrade, say upgrade and point it at the copied over directory.
4. Run the uninstaller on the old machine to disable it on that machine, if you are going to leave it in the network. If you are going to leave CQC on it, then run the installer there, too, and disable any stuff that you moved to the new machine.

That should be all that's required. The master server name is the same as before, so it should find that just fine with the existing configuration. There's no need (from CQC's POV) to rename the new machine the same as the old one. Anything provided by that machine to others will register on the MS and everyone will find it the same as before.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean
Thanks. I assume I copy the CQC directory to the Program Files (x86) folder on my new machine, which is 64 bit. There is also a Program Files folder, but I think that must be for 64 bit native apps. Correct?
Mike

Dean Roddey Wrote:If it's not the master server, then it's fairly easy. Just do this:

1. Stop the service on the old machine
2. Copy the whole CQC directory to the new machine
3. Run the 4.2.5 installer. When it asks for new or upgrade, say upgrade and point it at the copied over directory.
4. Run the uninstaller on the old machine to disable it on that machine, if you are going to leave it in the network. If you are going to leave CQC on it, then run the installer there, too, and disable any stuff that you moved to the new machine.

That should be all that's required. The master server name is the same as before, so it should find that just fine with the existing configuration. There's no need (from CQC's POV) to rename the new machine the same as the old one. Anything provided by that machine to others will register on the MS and everyone will find it the same as before.
Yeh, to the x86 version of Program Files.
Dean Roddey
OK, I have CQC running on my new pc, but can't seem to get the media repository/My Movies stuff running.

The My Movies stuff seems to be setup properly but it isn't working properly. The MediaRepo(My Movies Repository) driver shows a state of "Wait for Config".
When I try to access my repo I get an error.
Facility - CQCMedia
Error # - 223/0/0
Severity - Failed
Error Class - Not Found
Line - CQCMediaDatabase.cpp/2649
Message box - '1' is not a valid category id. Type=Movie

Ideas on what I have messed up?
Thanks

Dean Roddey Wrote:Yeh, to the x86 version of Program Files.
Did you move the MM database to that machine? And set up a new DSN for the MM database there and all that? You'll probably have to at least do a reconfigure on that MM driver and reselect the new DSN on that machine that you've created.
Dean Roddey
I thought so. I'll give it another attempt later tonight.
Thanks for the prompt help, as usual.
Gonna miss you on the left coast.
Mike

Dean Roddey Wrote:Did you move the MM database to that machine? And set up a new DSN for the MM database there and all that? You'll probably have to at least do a reconfigure on that MM driver and reselect the new DSN on that machine that you've created.
OK, major progress. I went through the whole DB setup thing again and it all worked. Must have missed some key setting or misspelled something before

Now I have the problem that all my mapped drives, where the movies are stored, aren't reconnecting at restart. So, when the App Server goes to open a movie file it is getting an exception. If I go into Windows Explorer and click on each mapped drive, it immediately connects. Once I do that, the drive stays connected and the App Server is happy, and the movie is mounted and starts. So, something isn't happening that used to happen with my previous media player pc.

Anyway, I'll fiddle with this tomorrow. If you have any suggestions that would be great too.

Thanks
Mike

MikeA Wrote:I thought so. I'll give it another attempt later tonight.
Thanks for the prompt help, as usual.
Gonna miss you on the left coast.
Mike
Well, I have things working back the way they were on my older PC. MyMovies is working fine (although I haven't tried the new 5.x Beta release), and movies are launching fine now. The final problem I had was getting my NAS mapped drives, where my movies live, to connect properly when restarting my PC. Turns out there is a bug in Windows 7 that results in mapped drives not reconnecting on reboot and startup, and the workaround is to use the NET USE command to reconnect them or do it manually. For WAF reasons, I wanted it to be turnkey, so I arm wrestled my way through NET USE and put together a batch file to do the reconnection at startup.
Next wrestling match is going to be to try to used the WinActivate command in HotKey to ensure TotalMedia Theater is the active/focus window when watching a movie. Once in a while there will be something else stealing focus from TMT and,
while the movie plays fine, there is no control via keyboard commands or Media Center remote IR commands until you click on the movie with the mouse. Another WAF issue.
Thanks for the help from Dean!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One computer, two IVs? Micco 14 4,793 01-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Last Post: trouble
  Audio/Computer Problem - help diagnosing sic0048 4 2,487 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Last Post: beelzerob
  Using Domain - now computer won't connect sic0048 17 5,976 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Low Power Computer for CQC Installation thall411 2 1,996 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Last Post: froop
  HP's touch screen computer Brightan 3 2,058 08-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Rethinking My Computer Setup cavalier240 21 6,331 05-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Last Post: jmwhooper
  Automatically shutting off and turning on seconday computer Bauer83 11 3,858 06-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Bauer83
  Recommendations for a CQC computer? 3pedal 6 2,651 01-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Last Post: IVB
  multiple computer install question wolverines 7 2,506 12-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Computer Restarting Itself Acoba 9 2,459 12-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey