Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IR code / Global Cache question
I have itach ip2ir and have loaded the GC-100 driver.

I want to be able to turn my TV on. It is a Sharp LC-80LE632U.

GC-100 driver doesn't recognize that ip2ir has a learning port, so I can't use CQC to learn the code.

I went to remotecentral.com and found a spreadsheet with codes for my TV, but I don't know what to do with them. For example, for Power on/off, there is a 15 bit code: 10000 011010 00 10
And there is also a Hex Code 01 116

Is there an easy way to convert that into something that I can stick in the blaster/create-new-device-model manual input box?
Wouldn't you use the IRL driver for that? Though, if it's built into the device, and not as a serial device attached, then that would require some fairly substantial modifications to support the device in two different incarnations since one would be as a standalone device and the other within the context of the GC-100 driver.

If you can find the Pronto codes for the TV, you can convert those to GC-100 format using a utility we provide, or you should be able to just paste them into the GC-100 driver instead of learning them interactively. It should convert them on the fly.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
you do know that the TV can be controlled via RS232 or Ethernet and hence you dont need the IR control.

Is there a particular reason why you want to use IR to turn it on (like the serial port wont trn the TV on)?
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
znelbok: I don't have serial to it.
I do have ethernet and I use that to turn it OFF.
But I need IR to turn it ON.

Dean:
where would I find the utility you mention?

Thanks
If you are on a recent enough version of CQC, then you should be able to just paste a standard Pronto code into the GC-100's create model dialog and just create a model by hand from Pronto codes. If you have a UIRT around you could learn them through that, then export it, and import that into the GC-100 and that should also convert it.

If that doesn't work, then go here:

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...php?t=9421
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
ControlFreak Wrote:znelbok: I don't have serial to it.
I do have ethernet and I use that to turn it OFF.
But I need IR to turn it ON.

That is good to know that you cant turn th TV on via Ethernet, which is a shame.

If you got yourself a GC100 with a serial port you could connect to it via serial and most likely turn it on.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Thanks for the suggestion, but serial control will not work easily for me. This TV has a serial port; however, I cannot (without great difficulty) get a wire from CQC server to this TV for serial control. I already have ethernet near the TV, so I CAN use GC itach IP2IR...and I already have the little emitter run and stuck on to the TV, so I'd like to make this work.

As for powerOn using TCP, I had discussed that a bit in this post:
http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...hp?t=11215

Back to IR: I got Sharp tech support to send me hex codes, so that is promising.

I had previously tried pasting pronto hex codes (from remotecentral) and CQC wouldn't even accept them into a device model I tried to create. Dean mentions below that the device model interface ought to accept pronto and convert them. That didn't appear to work.

But I'm on CQC 4.4.1 It looks like some mods for GC-100 were made for 4.4.2, so before I give up, or ask someone to create a device model for me, I will go through system upgrade to 4.2, and try again with the codes provided by Sharp.

Thanks for the thoughts.
ControlFreak Wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but serial control will not work easily for me. This TV has a serial port; however, I cannot (without great difficulty) get a wire from CQC server to this TV for serial control. I already have ethernet near the TV, so I CAN use GC itach IP2IR...and I already have the little emitter run and stuck on to the TV, so I'd like to make this work.

Not to be anything but sure you understand, you seem to be wrong.

If you can use a IP2IR there you can use an IP2SL there and have serial working instead of IR and then get full 2 way comms with the TV through one driver only. There is no "wire" from the TV to the CQC server, apart from the one you already have.

CQC has native support of the itach serial ports and would thus give you on and off control from the one driver.

I appreciate that you already have the IP2IR, but this is not about what you have and dont have but rather the technical aspect of the install.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Not to be anything other than sure you understand (whatever that means), you seem to not understand.

Yes, I could go buy an IP2SL. And that would give me a serial port in my equipment closet/rack that is near the TV. But it is not AT the TV. To span the distance from NEAR the TV to AT the TV, I need to go through a conduit. That conduit is full. The last pull was treacherous. It should have been sized larger, but it was not.

When I said I cannot get a wire from CQC to TV without great difficulty, I was not talking about wire from CQC to media rack (lots of extra pre-wire there). I was talking about media rack to TV.

No doubt that there are times I am oblivious to a more elegant solution. And I appreciate efforts expended to try to enlighten my dim forays here. But in this particular case, it actually IS difficult, as expressed, to get serial/wire from CQC to my TV because it is difficult to get ANY more wire from my media rack to my TV (due to too narrow conduit).

Sure, I could hide a bunch of stuff behind the TV: I could probably take my existing cat6 to the TV, put an ethernet switch behind the TV to get an extra port, have a cat6 patch cable from the switch to the TV and another cat6 patch cable from the switch to a ip2sl (that I'd have to go out and buy) and deliver serial to the TV. It could technically work which I am sure you are tickled to hear.

Or I could get the existing hardware, (ip2ir) which I already have, and which is documented by CQC to be supported, to work. This (the post I started) is not about the technical aspects of an alternative inconvenient install, this is about what I have and don't.

And the hardware I have (ip2ir) does work now.

I hope that helps you understand.
Dean
Hope all is well and you are are settled after your move. I miss having local technical support!!!
Where can I find the app that converts Pronto codes to GC-100 format? Is it the iConvert from the GC site? I'm still running CQC 4.2.5. Or can I just manually enter the Pronto codes manually with my version?
Thanks
Mike

Dean Roddey Wrote:Wouldn't you use the IRL driver for that? Though, if it's built into the device, and not as a serial device attached, then that would require some fairly substantial modifications to support the device in two different incarnations since one would be as a standalone device and the other within the context of the GC-100 driver.

If you can find the Pronto codes for the TV, you can convert those to GC-100 format using a utility we provide, or you should be able to just paste them into the GC-100 driver instead of learning them interactively. It should convert them on the fly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Global Cache GC-100 - How to add IR Code??? Deane Johnson 7 2,724 11-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Server hardware question rhosch 3 2,119 10-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: rhosch
  Basic Z Wave/CQC Integration Question MikeW 6 3,693 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: MikeW
  event and subsequent countdown timer question dogman 9 5,060 05-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Last Post: dogman
  webriva template question lleo 21 11,341 01-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  global actions and lighting groups jkmonroe 11 7,597 06-02-2017, 08:27 PM
  Echo Code Snippets potts.mike 5 3,558 03-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Tivo control question MikeA 21 12,108 12-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Last Post: dogman
  How do you keeping track of your CML code? bbrendon 5 2,984 11-30-2015, 12:12 PM
  Question on Hue and Lux driver Deane Johnson 5 3,294 05-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson