Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sell me on All Components
CQCers:

I am toying with the idea of buying the All Components upgrade during the Presidents' Day sale. I have Silver, and I don't need any more driver or interface licenses. I know there's an IOS app that relies on the XML gateway. Is it a lot better than the RIVA app? Can anyone give me a good example of something they rely on that uses the XML gateway or any of the other additional components you get with this upgrade?

-Tom
I have unobtanium, so I'm not entirely certain what you're missing. But, the CQC Remote (not Client) is really good to have. You get something akin to the 'admin interface' on your iOS devices which makes it really easy to work your way around your system. I think the upgrade is pretty inexpensive, and the President's Day sale is coming up, so you might find that functionality alone to be worth the cost. I probably would.
Does the silver package come with the logic server? It has several good uses.
The pieces I'm currently missing, and would be buying, are application control, logic server, web server, and XML gateway.

potts.mike, can you give me some examples of how you use the logic server?

Can anyone compare the RIVA and XML gateway versions of the iOS app?

-Tom
RIVA based apps use templates you draw, and work through the RIVA server, so they are really very thin clients where all the work is done on the back end. That means you get fully customized interfaces, but (at least for now) you don't get local type interaction (scrolling, dragging, etc...)

The XMLGW apps are thick clients where they do all the work and just query information as required from the CQC back end. So they have a fixed interface, not nearly as flexible as the RIVA scheme, but they also can use native look and feel and interaction and they don't require any template setup to use.

They are generally likely to be lighter weight as well, so possibly better for small clients out on the open network where network performance can be iffy sometimes.

The Logic Server can be used in various ways. It can provide you with graphing of field values. It can combine the values of multiple fields into one new field so that instead of having to do fancy logic in multiple actions, you can do it once as a logic server field. And that also means that the result itself is a field also, which can then be used drive template contents or any other stuff you use fields for.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I have both of the iOS apps. The Client app is what lets me display my custom designed IV. That is how my wife primarily interacts with the system.

I use both. The Client app is great for the quick overview (that's how I designed it), and it gives you simple control over lighting 'scenes' and playing playlists on the Sonos. The Remote app is what I can use to check on *every* component of the system, not just what I have exposed via the interfaces. For example, the interface makes the zwave lighting system transparent with the Hue system. So when you want to turn on a light, it first makes sure the ZWave module is turned on (in case it got turned off), then it turns on the Hue bulb. The Remote app lets me see pretty much exactly what you see in the Admin Interface, so I can adjust what I haven't exposed if it becomes necessary.

For me, that's pretty huge when we are out and about. Of course, I am intentionally designing my IV's to be as simple as possible, but still retaining that granular control via the Remote app.

xlurkr Wrote:The pieces I'm currently missing, and would be buying, are application control, logic server, web server, and XML gateway.

potts.mike, can you give me some examples of how you use the logic server?

Can anyone compare the RIVA and XML gateway versions of the iOS app?

-Tom
A few logic server things I am doing or have done:

Combine artist album track info into one field to use in a marquee widget

Use it as a single field to indicate whether anyone is home based on multiple other variables.

Compare current humidity in the bathroom with natural humidity to turn on/off an exhaust fan.
Mike - Not to hi jack this thread, but what are you using as a humidity sensor?
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
Hijack away. I've decided to go for it.

-Tom

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Location of CQC components rocker 10 4,100 01-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Anyone make/sell templetes as cool as these that would work with CQC personalt 8 3,271 11-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Which CQC Components should i install ismewor 1 1,460 07-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Which network computers get what CQC components? kcl 6 2,535 06-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Controlling non RS 232 components Providince 15 4,093 11-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Axatax