Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Energy Monitor by Outlet/Plug?
What device is currently CQC controlled that will let me monitor the energy being used from a single outlet/plug?

Basically I want a connected Kill-a-Watt that will show me what is being used in real time.
This one is more of a general automation thing, so I'm going to move it over there. It might get a better answer there as well.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Thanks. Will the ZWave driver report that info if the module supports it? I think the Aeon ZWave modules report wattage, and I know the Belkin WeMo Insight does, but I dont think WeMo is supported.
There would have to be support added for that type of module to make them useful. Do you know right off hand what Z-Wave device class they report themselves as?
Dean Roddey
I don't have the slightest. These guys are working on supporting it, and midway down this thread there is a bunch of info I don't understand that might contain what you need to know:

http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/user...36&t=10214
It looks like they would show up as binary and multi-level switches, since that's their generic type. If so, the driver would support them, as long as they send their value via the binary/ML switch interface, which it looks like it does.
Dean Roddey
Literally speaking, there is the modded Tweet-A-Watt... You could probably redirect to to something like a raspberry pi or arduino. It could get costly though. She uses xbee to wirelessly send the data to a receiver.
standon Wrote:Literally speaking, there is the modded Tweet-A-Watt... You could probably redirect to to something like a raspberry pi or arduino. It could get costly though. She uses xbee to wirelessly send the data to a receiver.

That's pretty cool.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
That is pretty cool. For my uses though, my goal is to be able to determine if a particular device is currently being used or not. Since my TV in the BR is not controllable, I can use the power meter to know whether or not it is on or in standby and control actions on the outlet accordingly (if on, and bedtime scene, turn off outlet - wait 10 minutes, power outlet back on).

With that said, it would be really neat to be able to plug that into a power strip and see exactly what my HT components use when watching TV. It would probably make us think twice about turning it on versus reading a book. Smile
What you want sounds pretty simple - but I'm not sure I've heard of anything that actually does it as a standalone product. I've been wanting to do something like that with my projector since leaving it on burns the bulb out. It requires 2 power presses on the remote to power off, and 1 press to power on and it often gets confused (or we do) and powers back on 5 minutes later if we don't check the status light when we walk out. I put a UPB appliance module up there, but decided against actually programming it since I don't want to essentially rip the power cord out without it doing it's cool down thing.

Do you have access to the tv via wire? The only other thing I could think of would be a CdS photocell sensor, put it over the status light and program something to read the ohms on it. I think cocoontech has a project like it with a washer or dryer. Otherwise, maybe a GC-100 (cat5/6 needed at the site) to control power on/off.

I actually just connected a GC-100-12 to the rack in my theater, but I haven't done much with it since I haven't yet figured out what to do with the remote vs ipad control, etc...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baby Monitor? Sendero 5 2,907 02-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  HP L2105tm Optical Touch Monitor LesAuber 0 1,433 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Last Post: LesAuber
  UK & Ireland - anyone doing energy monitoring willplaice 4 2,363 06-19-2012, 05:40 AM
Last Post: MikeMelga
  how to monitor tcp port or ping with CQC? bjkiller 12 7,358 04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Energy monitoring (Brultech) advice? SamVimes2 13 6,925 06-06-2011, 04:09 AM
Last Post: SamVimes2
  Power Monitor Driver non US (240V) willplaice 5 2,301 01-14-2009, 02:53 AM
Last Post: froop
  Nanovision mimo 7-inch mini monitor Jonathan 3 2,573 12-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Prefect
  ATI dual monitor mode paul 5 2,757 11-06-2008, 02:27 AM
Last Post: paul
  Automated Outlet Bauer83 3 2,656 08-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Last Post: BrandonStapp
  Theatertek Primary monitor Livin 7 3,253 09-10-2006, 06:06 AM