Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hangout idea: Devices & screens/layouts
An idea for the next hangout, and no, not because i'm wondering if there's a better layout than the one I have. Well, maybe.

What if we have people share what devices they're using, and how their screen layout/navigation looks?

I personally just removed my HP thin client & touchscreen as it wasn't working right (after 2 years being off, not shocked). I put one of my Nexus 7 there (mine, between phone & new laptop its only used 1x/week). But I find myself questioning the wisdom of just purely scaling up my phone screens or scaling down my old laptop screens.

I'd love to see what others are doing, both the actual device & the GUI.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I second the desire. I am just getting close to having a good implementation for my pc's which really works 90% of the time as I am usually near one, but would love to see in particular what screens you all are using on your phones/tabs.

Also spent a ton of time making buttons in Gimp...and hope this will make me wish I hadn't and instead focused on other things.
I would like to see this too... I am currently in the process of just getting everything to work again after several years of not having the system setup due to moving and equipment changes.
tia, Ron

My HT equipment I want to control by CQC (some day hopefully)
Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, LG 86" 4k FP, and a projector in the future
IVB Wrote:An idea for the next hangout, and no, not because i'm wondering if there's a better layout than the one I have. Well, maybe.

IVB - there is no wondering. I think EVERYONE has better layouts than you! ;-)
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
LOL. Indeed, its amazing how much of a factor inertia is in my system. The screens work, so I could either clean them up or leave as-is and play soccer & drink beer. Guess which one has been winning for the past 4 years ;-)
count me in guys as my system is still in it's infancy. The possibilities are endless as far as UI but that's a bit overwhelming at the same time (where do I start?)

The hardware portion is very solid thus far with the drivers I've been using.
Topic idea : how invisible is CQC in your home?
Hint: the _less_ you knowingly or intentionally interface with it, the better

...or ways of achieving the above.
--Kill all the serial ports--
I don't know if we'd consider that better :-)
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
bbrendon Wrote:Topic idea : how invisible is CQC in your home?
Hint: the _less_ you knowingly or intentionally interface with it, the better

...or ways of achieving the above.

One of my common derision lines on AVSForum 5 years ago was that pretty touch screen GUIs were just an alternative form of manual control and I didn't consider it to be true home automation. Rather, it was home "hey looky ma, see what I can do with the computer!"

There's a reason I have an insane # of triggered & scheduled events and not much in the way of my screens. I typically trigger actions based on changes in other actions (ie no motion in room, or time, or changes in other devices).
Invisibility is my goal. I am working on iPad screens now to interact with the invisibility...turn on/off events and A/V control. My screens can do so much more, but I doubt we would ever use it (turn lights on/off) but it is there just in case. I want CQC to know what is going on in the house and react. My wife would only use a touch screen to turn a movie on or switch the TV input. She will do what ever is easiest...that is our remote control (that interfaces CQC but she doesn't know that or care to know that....just make sure it works!!!)

The hardest part I am finding is how to get CQC to be invisible...it is possible, but as IVB said...a lot of scheduled/triggered events and If/Else statements as well as knowing all the possible scenarios possible.

I would love to see how others are using their system in this way.
System: WHS, UPB, Plex, Elk
Drivers: Autopatch, DataLog DB, DTV IP, GC-100, IRA, Logic Server, Variable Driver, Weather Underground

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Send instant messages to iOS and Android devices znelbok 2 16,317 05-11-2020, 05:23 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Common standard for Smart Home devices??? Deane Johnson 13 7,035 12-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Last Post: batwater
  Fibaro Z-Wave Devices joeberg 8 8,138 12-27-2016, 11:19 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Interesting Z-Wave Devices??? batwater 3 4,130 10-21-2016, 02:19 AM
Last Post: karenlee
  the death march of connected devices jkmonroe 9 5,864 06-16-2016, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Touch screens royalj7 16 5,950 10-06-2015, 08:48 AM
  How many IP devices do you have? jkmonroe 17 8,912 05-17-2015, 08:41 AM
  FYI I'm doing a HomeAutomation google hangout for AVNation in 20 minutes IVB 7 4,261 03-30-2014, 07:01 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Touch screens... SomeWhatLost 9 6,089 09-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  In-wall touch screens Dean Roddey 0 2,047 09-24-2013, 12:43 PM