Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z-Wave Door Locks & Other Z-Wave Questions
I have read over the forum and it seems I have confused myself even more.

Does anyone have Z-Wave locks currently working near 100% reliability in their system?

I am looking to implement these very soon and am open to what locks seem to function the best with CQC. I have not purchased a Z-Wave controller yet so I can go with any controller/lock combination that seems to be working reliably.

Also any recommendations for a Z-Wave thermostat?

I want to do UPB for lighting and Z-Wave for locks/tstat/door contacts/motion sensors, but I am concerned that without using Z-Wave light switches that the mesh network may not be dense enough.

It seems the Z-Wave/UPB switch costs are similar......can anyone comment on the reliability of their Z-Wave setup? Based on all my research it seems UPB is more reliable, but I cannot say from personal experience and I really want to get it right the first time.

I have also read that the Z-Wave battery operated nodes(door contacts/motion senors/locks) sleep a lot of the time and don't really help the mesh network. If that is the case I probably need to do the light switches in Z-Wave for reliability.

Sorry for the long post, but any info especially related to the controller/lock combinations is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
In terms of the controller side of it, your only open is the Leviton VRCOP (the v3 of it I think is required for locks support.) You'll need a USB stick (also recent enough to handle locks) to use with the Leviton software to act as a primary controller. CQC will work through the VRCOP to interface to devices.

It does help to have more always on nodes. However, to help with locks, they need to be ones capable of passing along the secure msgs used by locks. Not all of them will be able to do that.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Thank you for the reply.

Is there a way to determine which nodes are capable of passing along the secure msgs used by locks?

Is there a certain terminology, feature, or protocol that I am looking for in the specific switches that would indicate it is capable of passing on the secure msgs?

Also would I only need those types of nodes between the controller and the lock? Example.....assume the controller is dead center of house and the only lock that will be Z-Wave is dead south......it shouldn't matter if I put a node in the North of the house that is not capable of passing on those messages correct?

Thanks again for the info.
I'm not sure what the exact terminology would be, but if they indicate it supports beaming, then probably that's a good sign I guess.

On the last thing, yeh, that's probably true. Each node finds the ones close to it and that's how the mesh network is formed.
Dean Roddey
Thanks for the tip.

Regarding the beaming I have one final question.

Let's assume that I decide to go with UPB for lighting.

My research says that if the Z-Wave controller is within 30 feet of the lock/tsat that no other nodes are needed.

Is it possible to have 3 controllers on the same network? 1 for front door, 1 for rear door, and 1 for T-Stat? Then I wouldn't need to worry about the mesh network to carry the signals.....

based on my research these support beaming and seem to be very cost effective..... http://www.amazon.com/Jasco-Z-Wave-Wirel...B0035YRCR2 looks like I may just go Z-Wave throughout to be safe.
In theory you could have three controllers, but it wouldn't really help in this case. Unless you had a CQC driver on each one, then it wouldn't make much difference, and having three drivers would add a lot of overhead to the network that wouldn't be worth it I'm sure. Ultimately you'd want just a solid mesh network going on.
Dean Roddey
Thanks for all of the info....looks like it will be Z-Wave throughout for me.
jbh5000 Wrote:Thank you for the reply.

Is there a way to determine which nodes are capable of passing along the secure msgs used by locks?

Is there a certain terminology, feature, or protocol that I am looking for in the specific switches that would indicate it is capable of passing on the secure msgs?

Also would I only need those types of nodes between the controller and the lock? Example.....assume the controller is dead center of house and the only lock that will be Z-Wave is dead south......it shouldn't matter if I put a node in the North of the house that is not capable of passing on those messages correct?

Thanks again for the info.

The Evolve brand of zwave locks repeat the secured protocol. Specs will say something to the effect "security compatible" or "W/Security Beaming"

See here

-Ben
Can anyone recommend a good USB Stick/Controller?

I ordered this one http://www.smarthome.com/86552/Leviton-C...ter/p.aspx but it is on back order and they keep changing the date they expect it to ship and another site shows it as discontinued.

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Also, another slightly off topic question......will I have to physically take the PC and move it close to each "node" to add it to the network? I have a laptop that I could do that with but I didn't plan to run VRC0P/cqc on the laptop......just trying to wrap my head around what is required to add the Z-Wave nodes to the network.

Thanks in advance.
You won't need the VRCOP or CQC on the laptop. YOu just need the Leviton software and the USB stick, which together comprise the 'master controller' for your Z-Wave network. So you take it around and add the modules to your network. You can then use the Leviton software to send that info to the VRCOP, and by way of that to CQC.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Door Station / Door Bell gReatAutomation 12 520 01-27-2020, 07:07 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Z-Wave PC Controller simplextech 0 74 01-06-2020, 05:54 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  Door locks and door video rhosch 24 1,986 11-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: rhosch
  MIMOlite Module / Garage Door gReatAutomation 0 499 06-11-2019, 04:21 PM
  GE Z-Wave Outdoor Switch / Garage Door / Alarm gReatAutomation 0 317 06-11-2019, 03:53 PM
  Basic Z Wave/CQC Integration Question MikeW 6 1,281 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: MikeW
  Newer Leviton Z-Wave Lamp Dimmers Deane Johnson 2 1,541 11-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Trouble getting CQC working with ISY Z Wave Deane Johnson 47 7,633 01-14-2016, 04:43 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Philips Hue set up questions Deane Johnson 42 11,170 01-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Z-wave client driver royalj7 6 2,602 11-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Last Post: jaydonoghue