Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Build a new House
Hello,
I want to build a new House in spring and I do all electrical work by myself.
The normal House electronic is no problem, but on my new House I will have a Home control system.
But I am a dummy on home control system, I hope someone can go over my list and give me some help.
I don’t know which protocol will work for me,
I build that House all by myself and I can put in every wire that I need.

What I need:
Control all lights
Control Heat and Cooling
Multi Room Audio, with USB Soundcards and JRiver player.
Control my Security system
Control lawn sprinkler.

Or where can I find information from scratch to finish.

Sorry for my bad English, I am a German guy but I live in Canada.

Thanks,
Well, I'm about 2 months into this stuff. When I was doing construction, I didn't have time to figure out the HA stuff. Now that its done, I wish I did things differently (obviously) because I didn't take HA into consideration.

I guess if you want to shortcut things, you need to run cat5 everywhere. Sensors (door, window, motion, etc etc), microphones, window shades, IR sensors, relays, etc. Basically anywhere a sensor or monitoring or remote controlling is going to.

Install UPB light switches everywhere.

That'll cover about 95% of it and allow you to put it together after the construction. Now if you only knew what you wanted, you would have a better understanding of what sensors you want. The sky is the limit on what you can "sense". People do beds, doorways. Check out some blogs.

Good luck Smile
lanski Wrote:Control all lights
you will need to pick a lighting system... since it is a new build, I would go with a hardwired solution... not sure what is available anymore, as I haven't really looked in a long time...
pretty sure lutron had some good stuff... or ALC...

lanski Wrote:Control Heat and Cooling
get a controllable thermostat, something like an RCS TR16 maybe?

lanski Wrote:Multi Room Audio, with USB Soundcards and JRiver player.
Jriver is pretty cool and all, but is it really the best option for multiroom audio? can usb sound cards play in sync when you want multiple rooms playing the same song? you may want to research your audio choices a bit more, just to be sure you end up with a system that will really do what you want...
Jriver may ultimately be fine for what you want, but still more research is always fun...
lanski Wrote:Control my Security system
get an elk or an omni, CQC has drivers for either of those... just plug them in and away you go...
lanski Wrote:Control lawn sprinkler.
get a rain8net
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
I disagree with the rain8 - it will work but a ClickPLC is cheaper and more robust and can do so much more. Can be a slight overkill for just a sprinkler controller, but can be set up to run independently of CQC where the Rain8 cant.

Pretty much everything else that has been said is right. Hard-wire the lot.

Dont skimp on cat5/6. If you think you need one, put two.

Make sure the TV's have more than one Cat5, you will end up needed them. DOn't forget that serial is still used as control so wire for that as well (cat5 will work well).

There is a lot of planning to do so don;t waste any time.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
fwiw, I just picked the rain8 from here: http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/ExtCont...evices.htm
as I have no experience with watering the lawn...
lawn is generally kept outside, it is a plant, or at least plant based, therefore my lawn gets watered when it rains... my lawn either lives or dies based on its own ability to survive...
but anyway, I have no real knowledge of irrigation systems as they seem somewhat pointless...

but I would guess you would just need to control some solenoids?

that said, yea, a PLC would make a great controller for that...

or even just use a couple spare outputs on the elk or omni to trigger the solenoids?
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
I put lots of conduit (empty pipe) in my place to main areas. Basement to attic, Basement to main Television\Media areas. After 7 years I've now pulled various new wire through most of the conduits. I would highly recommend putting in as much as feasible to help future proof to main areas. That way if you forget something now you can probably fix it later. Good luck!
Which switches are you using ?
And how can i do a 4-way circuit ?

I will have in my new House:
6 - single on/off circuits,
15 - single dim circuits,
7 - 3way dim circuits
2 - 4way dim circuits
1 - 4way on/off circuits

How can I realize this, it cost me a fortune?
What lighting control technology are you going to use? If UPB, 4 way is just like 3 way in that you just add another slave switch.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
I am not sure about the protocol, i need ideas which are cheaper, looks nice and have a good quality.
lanski Wrote:I am not sure about the protocol, i need ideas which are cheaper, looks nice and have a good quality.

Most likely you will only get two out of three of those :-) That's sort of a general rule I guess.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dynamically Build Call to Variable? gReatAutomation 8 2,485 05-08-2020, 01:22 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  new build charles 10 4,162 05-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Could not build graph - CQSL Audio Player jmwhooper 6 2,532 05-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Best practices for CQC + whole house audio? js19707 9 4,136 05-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Last Post: kayemsi
  Audio card and 'generic' 12 channel amp for whole house audio. personalt 10 4,277 09-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Last Post: IVB
  Could not build the filter graph for file error in CQC audio player rm1759 6 3,101 01-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Last Post: martino
  Component Wish list and new build info Calvin 40 11,059 07-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Last Post: pseigler