Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Rock-solid Serial over IP
My Serial over IP cheap solution has rapidly degraded now that i'm on W7. What are folks using nowadays? Anything thats available new?
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Depending on how many you need at any given spot, as of the recent betas we support the GC-100 ports directly now.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Interesting; how would that work? As in, I have a Concerto that I currently connect via COM16 and the native CQC driver, does the CQC GlobalCache driver somehow connect to the CQC GlobalCache driver?
You just configure CQC to tell it about what GC-100s you want to expose the drivers of, and they just show up as COM ports when select a serial port. You give a short name to each one when you configure it, and the port names are in the form:

/GC100/xxx/COM1

Where xxx is the name you configured. This is all separate from the GC-100 driver itself. The ports are connected to through a different port and separate from the GC-100 control interface. We can't set up the serial ports in terms of configuration, so you have to pre-configure them for the right settings via the GC-100 web interface.
Dean Roddey
Got it. Are there different firmware versions? There's a few on eBay for a low price, wondering if those would work or if they're too old.
Older ones only go up to 19,200 baud rate, where the newer ones go up to 57600, so that could possibly be important.
Dean Roddey
just as a FWIW type thing, Dean's built in GC-100 driver thingy has been working flawlessly for me...
with one exception, if your license is in demo mode or whatever you call it, and your demo expires because you successfully procrastinated too long, the serial ports stop working...
normally, I could coast along until I need to reboot something, but now when the clock reaches 0, its done...

but this may not be an issue for anyone who isn't a successful procrastinator...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Dude, you've owned CQC for 4 years now, WTF? It takes all of 30 seconds to send Dean the key!

You are an ignorant wackjob Smile
actually, it is more like 6 years...
and sending Dean the license thingy is like hard and stuff...
:-)
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
There's no reason it should stop working, that I can think of. That type of thing isn't really tied to the licensing system at all. So I'm not sure why that happened.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC to PowerView Hub via Serial Driver Deane Johnson 18 8,396 05-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Help figuring out projector serial control! Deane Johnson 19 8,383 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Serial Commands for Hunter Douglas Hub! Deane Johnson 65 19,389 07-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Serial Terminal options? IVB 21 9,386 01-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  USB to Serial Breakout Box?? Deane Johnson 5 2,579 07-29-2015, 07:47 PM
Last Post: zpollock
  What are people using for serial connections? sic0048 5 3,057 06-28-2015, 01:42 AM
Last Post: znelbok
  Generic serial passtrough CQC driver jpsavaria 3 2,483 01-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Last Post: jpsavaria
  USB Serial? jkmonroe 34 10,050 12-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Support for GC-100 serial ports Dean Roddey 43 11,602 02-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Last Post: batwater
  Serial expansion royalj7 4 1,915 09-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Last Post: LesAuber