Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tray Icon Issue
You should find it under Start/All Programs/Charmed Quark Controller.

I tried running it manually a couple of times but didn't bother after that as it wasn't working. However, sometimes it just appears on its own accord, working happily. At lunch time today I started up my computer and it didn't make an appearance. I got home, and noticed it running happily in the tray with all options available. Perhaps it needs the wireless connection? I can't imagine why if it's just monitoring the 'up' state of the software...

(If you can't see it you may need to customise it in your Notification area (toolbar/properties) to always show.)
For the install, you would need to do the fully custom install. Just page through your existing settings to the Tray Monitor page.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I’m having some similar issues with the Tray Monitor, but quite possibly I’m trying to use it in a way that it wasn’t designed for/intended to be used.

I have my master server on one machine, and then a second computer which acts as my workstation and is attached to my home theater and projector. I├ó┬Ç┬Öd like to use the Tray Monitor on this second computer to open Windows Media Center, possibly wait a few seconds, and then do a few keypresses to initialize my Home Theater System to the movies. I├ó┬Ç┬Öd also like to press alt p on the keyboard to change the video output from my monitors to the projector. I thought the Tray Monitor was the ticket to accomplish this, but when loaded on my secondary machine (without the master server installed) I see ├ó┬Ç┬£Service is not installed├ó┬Ç┬Ø which it├ó┬Ç┬Ös not, because again this isn├ó┬Ç┬Öt the master server, and I don├ó┬Ç┬Öt seem to have any options to control my programs. Any thoughts on what I├ó┬Ç┬Öm doing wrong or could be doing differently here?

Thanks,
-Mike
The Tray Monitor support application control. You have to enable in the installation. One of the options for the Tray Monitor is application control, so if you don't see an App Ctrl tab on the Tray Monitor interface (left click on the Tray Monitor icon) then you didn't enable it and you'll have to run the installer again and enable it. Do a Fully Custom install mode and page over to the Tray Monitor and enable it.

If you do see the App Ctrl tab, then it's already enabled. But you don't do anything manually through the App Ctrl tab. It's a server for app control drivers. So you load up app control drivers and point them at a running Tray Monitor. That app control driver will operate through the target Tray Monitor, controlling an app on that machine.

There are dedicated app control drivers for specific applications, and there's a generic on you can use for basic control of an app without a driver being available.

Personally, I'd trash WMC, because it's horrible from a control standpoint, and use something that takes automation seriously. What are you using WMC for?
Dean Roddey
I think that’s how I have it installed, but don’t see the App Ctrl tab on the Tray Monitor interface.

[Image: CQC-Workstation-Installation-01.jpg]

[Image: CQC-Workstation-Installation-02.jpg]

I’d have a hard time trashing Windows Media Center with all the functionality I get from it using my cable card tuner, multiple extenders throughout the house, and a very awesome android app designed by Ceton that gives me full control of WMC and its usage on every TV throughout the house. Not just channel up/down, volume up/down, but full on TV Guide integration, recorded series, upcoming television, etc. etc.. Really a slick interface and I’d hate to see it go. Actually, the exact opposite, I’d love to see the functionality I have in this android app in my home automation system.

Is there any way we could take a cue from the Ceton app and possibly get this level of integration/control on our own automation systems? I notice through past forum threads that this has been a huge challenge, but they’ve figured it out… Maybe we could as well?

That aside, I’d like to stick with Windows Media Center because it does things, specifically with the cable card tuner that I believe are unique to it. If I was going to replace WMC it would have to be with something that would also allow me to control/tune in my TV.

But what about the Tray Monitor/Application Control? Am I still missing anything here?
http://www.quadomated.com/
I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about life and technology through the eyes of a quadriplegic.
Left click on the tray monitor to bring up it's display window. That's where you'll see it. Right clicking brings up a menu, but left clicking brings up the display. Click it again to make it go away.

But again, there's nothing there to do, it's just information display stuff. The Tray Monitor is just acting as a server for drivers to work through. If any Tray Monitors (with app control enabled) are running, you'll see them as options for the target server when you install an app control driver (or if you do any action commands that work through the app control server, and some do.
Dean Roddey
I think I can confirm the behaviour now - when I'm 'on the road' with my laptop, the tray icon doesn't appear, or appears with the options greyed out and the message 'server not running' or something like that. When I'm at home and connected to my home network, the tray icon appears, working as it should.
Chassmain Wrote:I’d have a hard time trashing Windows Media Center with all the functionality I get from it using my cable card tuner, multiple extenders throughout the house, and a very awesome android app designed by Ceton that gives me full control of WMC and its usage on every TV throughout the house. Not just channel up/down, volume up/down, but full on TV Guide integration, recorded series, upcoming television, etc. etc.. Really a slick interface and I’d hate to see it go. Actually, the exact opposite, I’d love to see the functionality I have in this android app in my home automation system.

Is there any way we could take a cue from the Ceton app and possibly get this level of integration/control on our own automation systems? I notice through past forum threads that this has been a huge challenge, but they’ve figured it out… Maybe we could as well?

That aside, I’d like to stick with Windows Media Center because it does things, specifically with the cable card tuner that I believe are unique to it. If I was going to replace WMC it would have to be with something that would also allow me to control/tune in my TV.

But what about the Tray Monitor/Application Control? Am I still missing anything here?

I had a conversation with ceton about accessing their server software to gain control of MCE. The don't have immediate plans to release a public API but offered to discuss the protocal privately. Since I dont have any coding skills I did not follow up but if someone wanted to take this on it would clearly be a great addition to CQC.
Sounds very interesting… wish I had the programming skills myself, because I ABSOLUTELY love what I can do with their app on a smallish smart phone screen and can’t imagine how awesome it would be scaled up to a larger screen and integrated into my home automation system. Maybe we should create a thread to get some buzz going and maybe get one of the programmer guys thinking about the possibilities.
http://www.quadomated.com/
I am the Quad in Quadomated. Come read about life and technology through the eyes of a quadriplegic.
On the topic of the tray icon, I am noticing an issue where the icon just isn't showing up for me. On my install to the latest, I did manual install and selected autostart for the tray app. I have both the itunes repository and the itunes player drivers loaded. The strange thing is that both drivers connect correctly so clearly the tray app is working in the background...how do I make it visible?

I am running Win7 Pro 64 bit and yes, I do know where to look for tray app icons...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6.0.0 Autogen issue Mark Stega 2 650 03-10-2021, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Was the issue with Lutron Radio RA2 not updating ever fixed? ghurty 3 1,107 12-06-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Elk Version Support Issue Ron Haley 20 5,397 05-05-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Shaky
  Troubleshooting Network Issue zra 7 2,034 04-18-2020, 03:32 AM
Last Post: zra
  tray icon keeps disappearing MikeA 64 20,909 12-14-2019, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Slider issue on WebRiva NishanF 4 1,955 07-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Last Post: NishanF
  Admin interface and CML IDE interface issue lleo 5 2,958 01-11-2019, 03:07 PM
  WebRIVA password special character issue? batwater 10 5,035 09-30-2018, 02:07 PM
Last Post: batwater
  A big issue with use the Elk M1 and CQC, cant use the IP dialer ghurty 1 1,624 08-05-2018, 08:56 AM
  WebRiva, Android, scaling issue IVB 2 2,116 07-15-2018, 01:47 PM
Last Post: IVB