Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few interesting minor issues
Dean -
I have come across a few issues as of late;

1. I always need to reboot prior to installing the new update since the Tray App was introduced. Some file or directory will not release control after CQC Shell shutdown. This process involves digging into the services screen and changing the CQC service to manual and obviously shutting everything down.
2. Even with the CQC shell service in manual, the tray app auto starts after restart, which once more locks one of the directories. I then need to dig into the registry startup settings and remove the tray app from auto start and then once more reboot. (you should place it in the auto start menu and not the registry.)

Then reboot...

And then finally, the version gets updated and we anxiously await the next update.

SO, maybe make the tray app a service and make its' startup dependent on the successful start of the CQC shell, along with shutdown dependant on the shell service.

The process needs to get a bit smoother.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
The Tray Monitor can't be a service. It has to be a GUI app. Since it is a GUI app, you'd need to shut it down just like you'd need to stop any other GUI programs. I could add a special case check in the installer to see if it's running and try to force it down.

The tray app is run through the task scheduler, so you can always just go to the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler, and select it, pop up the menu on it and select Disable, if you want to disable it before you install again. During an install you can always choose to turn off the auto-start.

If you just want to stop it manually, just right cliick on it and select Exit to stop it.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean - Once more, the issue is not the abbility to stop in manually, but that it restarts without CQC being enabled. I feel that it should not run if the CQC service is pushed to manual or disable, and I do think that it is the culprit for locking either files or directories and preventing easy updates.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
It certainly would lock the directories. It's a CQC program just like any other and needs to be stopped, just the same as the IV or Admin Interface. So it would be expected to cause that.

But part of the reason for it is to provide convenient service start/stop, which it can't do if it's not running. Plenty of other service oriented products have this sort of tray app that's always running, allowing for the back end to be started/stopped easily.

I think that all that's really required is that the installer check to see if it's running and try to force it down, in case the user forgets to stop it himself before running the installer.

And you don't have to start it automatically. Just turn that off, and you can start it up any time you want from the Start Menu.
Dean Roddey
I have battleed with this a lot with upgrades, even prior to the tray app (which I have not seen yet).

I go to the Process tab and look for the offending process that is still running and manually force it to close. That usually fixes it and prevents a restart.

I has actually become habit now to check there before starting the upgrade.

I often get installations failing for no apparent reason. Running the installer again works fine.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
If it fails, the reason is in the install log. Post it so I can see why and try to deal with it. If you are running an anti-virus program, that's often the reason why it will fail once then work. The anti-virus immediately starts poking around in any newly created directory, which prevents it or files inside it that the AV program is opening from being renamed. It's really a big problem with them, which is why so many programs often suggest you stop them before running an installer. They cause a lot of problems for the kinds of things that installers need to do.

If background servers aren't stopping, let me know which ones so that I can look into it.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RTI XP6 Issues gReatAutomation 4 1,057 08-31-2020, 01:47 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Continued Issues - RadioRA2 Thermo gReatAutomation 10 3,076 03-01-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Issues after Acronis True image clone Ron Haley 4 1,745 02-14-2020, 03:44 PM
  ZWave Issues / Aeotec gReatAutomation 16 6,407 07-26-2019, 06:21 PM
  SOLVED: VLC dll Issues with CQC Interface Template Viewer gReatAutomation 3 2,321 06-17-2019, 06:17 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Lutron Caseta & Zwave Issues dangerlong 191 71,705 12-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Last Post: tom
  Echo Config file issues ghurty 6 4,105 07-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Last Post: ghurty
  ISY994i Device Issues bigdude 8 4,119 05-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bigdude
  Redid server, issues with Nest and Elk ghurty 6 3,023 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM
  CQC Server network issues znelbok 1 1,830 03-20-2018, 12:36 PM