Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CQC failed to restart after XP restart
We just experienced a big thunderstorm with a 30 second or so power outage. The XP system hosting CQC restarted but CQC (4.2.6) did not. The following two messages were in the system log:

[COLOR="Navy"]Service control manager 9/18/2012 4:55:07 PM :

(1) Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the CQC Application Shell service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

(2) The CQC Application Shell service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
[/COLOR]

After discovering the messages I manually restarted CQC and it started normally. I've not seem this particular error before...
Mark Stega
Was this guy on a UPS? If not, I wonder if people are seeing this because the system is doing some sort of extra checking on startup when a non-standard shutdown occurs?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Also, is this one where you'd set the startup type to delayed startup, or was this one set to normal automatic setup? I'm wondering if the app shell should just be installed as delayed startup, so that it will be delayed until underlying stuff is sure of being ready?
Dean Roddey
No UPS.

Automatic start - I think delayed start was not available until Vista; It isn't in the menu for startup on my XP system.
Mark Stega
Hmmm... That would make it difficult to deal with, and require platform specific settings as well. You can also make your service dependent on others, but they have also changed over time so it's difficult to come up with a good, version independent solution. I guess 30 seconds must be a built in limit for starting up services at system start, since at that point there's no timeout set by us. We only set a timeout when doing the start up of a service ourself, such as when the installer starts it.
Dean Roddey
I am seeing this regularly on two XP systems as well. CQCServer failed to start on reboot.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the CQC Application Shell service to connect.

I don't want to upgrade these VM's to Win7 as I would need add memory and buy a license for MS's piggy OS. I don't need fancy translucent windows or even a GUI at all just to support the CQC Service. I added the recovery options to the service but no dice. I think I am going to try and create a scheduled task to start the service.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
You will have to upgrade soon as [CQC] support for xp is going away.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
BTW, I noticed the other day, in the process of looking for something else, that Win7 now has standard interfaces for some fancy graphic effects that we make a lot of use of (like Guassian blurs) with GPU acceleration. That kind of stuff would make a big difference for performance, but we can't use it until we can make Win7 the baseline.
Dean Roddey
Yeah I understand XP's days are numbered all around. I have already run into a couple of other program issues with XP. If I do it I will probably have to give up the isolated VM and just move CQC to one of my PC's. Or maybe i'll take another run at Mono...

It's just paying for OS's is so 20th century. Wink

IMHO, it is not in CQC's best interest to tie itself so closely to the Windows platform. But I understand you have to go with what you know and what you can support best.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Newegg has a pretty good deal on a small form factor Core 2 Duo HP with Win 7 Pro at $134. Item 9SIA2PF0V94963. I grabbed a couple.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Write Failed / ZWave gReatAutomation 22 6,670 03-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  DIDOrb_ThisFacility.cpp.563 Failed/Not Found simplextech 5 1,684 01-31-2020, 01:22 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Full Restart without Reboot simplextech 5 1,569 01-24-2020, 02:38 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  CIDLib_RefVector.hpp.470, Failed/Bad Parms simplextech 1 836 01-12-2020, 06:06 PM
  Sonos stops after CQC restart batwater 1 1,664 05-18-2018, 10:12 AM
  CQC client - hangs and restart jpsavaria 9 4,302 12-01-2014, 08:40 PM
  Macros won't load in editor - service restart required bbrendon 6 3,721 05-03-2014, 12:47 PM
  Is there a way to restart or reload a driver with a button cmd? joeberg 4 2,361 04-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Last Post: joeberg
  Supressing Triggered Events On Restart wuench 13 3,431 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM
Last Post: zaccari
  Serial Port read failed, frame errors, can't purge....*sigh* beelzerob 3 2,598 04-23-2013, 10:44 AM