Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controlling an onscreen GUI
Is there a way to control a GUI on the TV similar to Control 4? I.e., if I created a simplistic GUI - say a single screen that just had buttons for each video source that could be displayed on that TV - is it possible to scroll through those buttons using the arrow keys on my remote, similar to the Control 4 or MCE interface?
Watch the tutorial video on the Focus system. That's what you want. It's pretty easy to do.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I don't see a video on the focus system with the other tutorials. Is the video located somewhere else, or is the focus system discussion embedded in one of the videos?
Oops, looks like it was never redone for V4. Here is the old V3 version, which is basically still applicable:

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloa..._Focus.wmv
Dean Roddey
Got it. Thanks!
cavalier240 Wrote:Is there a way to control a GUI on the TV similar to Control 4? I.e., if I created a simplistic GUI - say a single screen that just had buttons for each video source that could be displayed on that TV - is it possible to scroll through those buttons using the arrow keys on my remote, similar to the Control 4 or MCE interface?

Dean, thanks, that video helps me some as well.

I have a different twist on what calvalier is considering. In my case, I want to put an IV screen on the big screen in my bedroom and then be able to control it via a RIVA screen with my (or hers) phone, tablet, iPod, etc. Goals of this are 1) a "wake up" screen with the weather, perhaps calendar, house statuses, etc, 2) "go to bed" screen, review house statuses, do things to the house, etc, 3) general "big screen" interface to the house. Looking for a shared big screen experience so that the wife can see / participate in what's going on.

So the remote focus feels like it is part of the solution but I'll need more. I have a PC with CQC installed that is connected to the TV so I think I want the following:

1 - Ability to start a CQC IV session up on the pc in question (if it's not running) from the master server either by remote from the RIVA screen or on a timer
2 - Load the default template for this IV instance
3 - Change screen overlays via command (by time of day, perhaps context) via scripting
4 - Did I miss something?

So I'm not sure what all the correct pieces are that I will need to have in place to do this? I already have RIVA functioning properly.

Thanks,
-Ben
If you just want to send it commands to load specific screens and don't need to interact with those screens, then you don't need any focus stuff. You can just send it commands. See the Interface Viewer Guide technical document on how to set it up for that sort of remote control. You could have scheduled events fire at particular types of the day to send it commands to load particular templates. There's an action command to send it such a command.

In order to have it start up if it's not running, you'll need to do something like use the App Control Server on that machine, which you can send commands to to get it start programs. However, you'll have to be careful to provide the correct command line parameters as are used in the Start Menu, in addition to any extra ones you add for additional functionality, and those might change over time.
Dean Roddey
Thanks Dean, that helped a bunch!

-Ben
Note that, if you just want display only, you can use the new digital signage support to run a non-interactive display off of the same machine, via a dual monitor setup. You can send commands to the signage one as above, and use the other display for the interactive IV. So this can save bucks if you want to have those kinds of signage type displays, by not requiring that you have a separate box to run it.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:Note that, if you just want display only, you can use the new digital signage support to run a non-interactive display off of the same machine, via a dual monitor setup. You can send commands to the signage one as above, and use the other display for the interactive IV. So this can save bucks if you want to have those kinds of signage type displays, by not requiring that you have a separate box to run it.

Thanks Dean, good points.

In my case the machine in question supporting our master bedroom is handling multiple duties, CQC for devices in the room, SqueezeServer, media interface to internet above and beyond SageTV, giant screen web browsing, etc.

-Ben

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC controlling Model Railroad??? Deane Johnson 53 33,403 05-12-2017, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Controlling Insteon Scene Controller buttons ellisr63 8 5,864 10-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  Android Widgets directly controlling CQC! IVB 39 14,675 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Controlling ZigBee (or Z-Wave) on HAI anogee 2 2,457 12-18-2012, 12:06 PM
  Need help with controlling an app simon 26 10,417 11-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Controlling devices that use HDMI-CEC cavalier240 4 3,227 09-26-2008, 05:25 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  CQC controlling VLC or MPlayer on Windows or Linux dkemme 2 2,280 02-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Last Post: dcpete
  Is 4s lag normal for CQC controlling CQS Audio player? Sendero 11 4,953 01-04-2008, 11:55 PM
  controlling autopatch via rf? Providince 8 4,106 06-01-2007, 09:56 AM
  Controlling it ALL.. sweethip 30 8,044 03-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Last Post: sweethip