Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4.1 UPnP support ... Sonos?
Dean,

In your post for 4.1, I noted the following:

Miscellaneous - We have a UPnP media renderer framework now, currently exposed via a Foobar media player driver, but potentially used for other UPnP based media renderers in the future.

Does this mean we are one step closer to control for SONOS ? ! ?

I have great interest in simple control of sonos and I know (by searching "sonos" in this forum) that there are many others interested as well.

I am willing to pay to catalyze the effort if there are any takers (Dean or otherwise).

Thanks!
I'm not sure what UPnP interfaces SONOS exposes in their control interface. Does anyone have any info on that? Is it being exposed as a media renderer slash A/V transport type device? If so, then in theory the existing stuff could control it I guess.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
The thread below is by a moderator of the sonos forums. He documents some of the basics of control of sonos using UPnP.

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=20721
and maybe this:

http://travelmarx.blogspot.com/2010/06/e...-upnp.html
One quick test just to see if there's even a start is to go through the motions of installing the Foobar driver. It will do a discovery for any UPnP media renderers during the install, to let you select the right one. But all of them should show up. Do you see any of your SONOS devices?
Dean Roddey
Yes!

It found both of my sonos zone players (one zp80 and one zp100).
How do these guys get music to play? Are they playing from a shared drive? If so, you could try going ahead and loading up the foobar player for one of them and see if it'll work. The Foobar player is a standard media player, and maybe ultimately that's not the most approriate way to interface to these guys, I dunno. But it would be interesting to see if they work. If the boxes can play media from a shared directory path passed to them, then the Foobar player probably will work as is. If the path needs some particular format, it may need a new manifest file, which passes in some configuration info to the underlying generic UPnP media renderer driver.
Dean Roddey
The big danger is that SONOs would be DLNA based, whcih means that it would only play music from a DLNA music server. But a quick check seems to indicate that's not true, and that it operates at the UPnP media renderer level, which means that it may work with the Foobar driver, which just sends it the path to media to play, using the AVTransport UPnP interface. And some other comments seem to indicate that it does implement AVTransport. So if someone is in a position to try it, load up the Foobar player and see if it will work.

Using it this way will mean that CQC controls it and the playlist will be driven by CQC's media renderer playlist mechanism, which means that the playlist will be inside the driver, not in the SONOS, so that CQC can easily manipulate it and report it back to clients and such. It will feed out songs to the SONOS one by one as they end.

There won't be any way to access radio stations or any of that stuff, because that's not really something our media renderer driver architecture understands, and I'm not sure it's really something that's part of the UPnP media renderer interface either. Our media renderer is intended for music/movie playback and for broad abstraction so that any device that can be wrapped inside our renderer interface can be interchanged, so you give up some stuff to get a lot of benefits. One of them being that it would work without any issues with the auto-generation stuff and fully integrated with our media repositories and user interface media oriented widgets.
Dean Roddey
See the current 4.2 beta discussions thread. I have what now seems to be working Sonos driver.
Dean Roddey
The 4.1.901 beta is posted and has this driver in it, so take a whack at it.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Philips Hue V2 - Group and Scene Support simplextech 2 466 01-03-2020, 06:36 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Sonos specific UPnP driver Dean Roddey 10 5,041 10-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Last Post: jpresto
  UPnp driver for foobar pjgregory 32 13,212 12-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Sonos MSDW 5 4,538 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Driver to Support Dynamic stringlists for Vertical and Horizontal List Browsers pseigler 35 11,491 12-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Last Post: standon
  Insteon Hub Support 0 208 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Sonos .Net Class Library 0 183 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: