Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony DVP-CX777ES doesn't work
Using a null modem cable to hook up the Sony and loading the driver, I'm not able to send commands to the Sony even if the driver status says it is connected. I have tried with a straight cable (just in case) without success neither. Then I came back with the null modem cable and I tried to see if something happened with hyperterminal if I sent any commands from the Sony (I think I should see some characters in the hyperterminal window when there is activity). Nothing again.

Am I doing something wrong or do you think that the Sony has something?

Thanks
If I remember correctly, the Sony changer is "dumb" when powered off. In other words, it does not communicate at all when the power is off. Therefore the driver doesn't actually track the connected status because anytime the power was off, the driver would go offline. Therefore the connected status will always show as "Connected" even if the device is not attached to the system.

The cable is definitely a null model cable. I would try another cable - or check every pin if you made the cable to make sure it is wired correctly. I suspect you have a cable problem.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
sic0048 Wrote:If I remember correctly, the Sony changer is "dumb" when powered off. In other words, it does not communicate at all when the power is off. Therefore the driver doesn't actually track the connected status because anytime the power was off, the driver would go offline. Therefore the connected status will always show as "Connected" even if the device is not attached to the system.

The cable is definitely a null model cable. I would try another cable - or check every pin if you made the cable to make sure it is wired correctly. I suspect you have a cable problem.

I tried with two different null modem cables... If it does not communicate when the power is off, I guess it communicates when it is on. Then what would be the best way to check if something works?
I doesn't appear as if it's communicating when the power is on either, at least from what he was reporting and what I saw when I connected via the remote port server.

Andre, are you absolutely sure you have it on the right serial port?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I guess one useful question would be, is anyone still using the 777 driver successfully right now?
Dean Roddey
I am. It connects with the power off. RS232 9600,8,N,1. Null Modem cable.

There's really no magic to it, that I can remember, I don't see anything special in the setup menu you have to enable. If you are using the right type of cable and the right port it just connects. You aren't using a USB/Serial converter or anything are you?

If I remember right the Sony protocol was binary so if that's the case, you won't get much out of a terminal program.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
It's semi-binary, so probably you'd see something, though I guess it will depend a bit on what text encoding you set the terminal program to, since a lot of the characters are above 0x80, and it uses STX/ETX which you'd probably see.
Dean Roddey
Looks like it was a port assignment issue.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:I guess one useful question would be, is anyone still using the 777 driver successfully right now?

I am also still using the 777, I have two. They connect with the power off.

RS232 9600,8,N,1. Null Modem cable.
Mark Stega
I'm using it still. I can unplug the serial cord from the device and it still shows as connected. ;-)

Connected status means nothing with this driver. (The Sharp LCD TV driver is the same way because it doesn't respond when the power is off).
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leviton VRUSB owners: Does it work? IVB 30 11,181 07-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Just installed 4.0 now SNMP doesn't work? SamVimes2 9 4,481 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Will CQC work for me? programmergeek 7 3,242 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Last Post: LesAuber
  Will this work as server? optix 3 2,417 12-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  j river media center 13 work with cqc? pjwinstalls 0 1,353 06-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Last Post: pjwinstalls
  What UPB switches work best with CQC/ELK flik 4 2,195 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Last Post: robolo
  How to configure seperate sage server to work with cqc server rajeevc 2 1,998 01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  Anyone make/sell templetes as cool as these that would work with CQC personalt 8 3,366 11-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Sony 777 or DVD Rip Option? kblagron 4 2,433 09-12-2008, 09:10 AM
  How to work with Image Packs RHT 3 1,950 08-27-2008, 03:45 PM