Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
installation failed on win7 ult x64, known issue?
I saw some mention previously of issues installing CQC on x64 windows. is this still a known problem?

in my case, the 4.0 installer fails while attempting to rename the TmpDir, and the error reported in the log is a permission denied (don't have the exact error handy, but i can post the log later tonight). i tried running the installer as an administrator, and it installed fine on a different machine (actually it was a VM running inside virtualbox).

i was hoping to install CQC on my existing Windows media center because that is a pretty beefy machine that is always on anyway, and it's located in close proximity to some of the other devices (prepro, tv, bluray player) that it will be interfacing with.
This happens to me when i forget to stop the service on another machine. Are you following the upgrade procedure? Meaning, shutting down services on all machines, then upgrading master?
The general reason for this is that the anti-virus stuff immediately goes and starts poking around in this newly created directory and therefore it cannot be renamed. I've since added a workaround for this, to try it a number of times with a pause in between, to wait for the anti-virus program to stop acting like a virus and let other programs do what they are designed to do.

This was added in the 4.0.11 beta (the latest one.) You can either try that, or you could temporarily stop your anti-virus program while you do the install (assuming you are indeed using one.)
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
thanks guys for your help

standon: this is actually a fresh install.

Dean: i'm running the microsoft security essentials AV sw, i'll try disabling it for the install and if that doesn't work i'll d/l the 4.0.11 beta and give that a shot.
Did you make any headway on this?
Dean Roddey
Hi Dean-I appreciate the follow-up, thanks. As you suspected, turning off the 'real-time' feature of Windows Security Essentials during the install of 4.0.0 resolved the issue. If it's helpful to you, I can repeat the install attempt using the latest beta to confirm the newer install works without disabling the AV sw?
It would be a useful test, but don't go to any great trougle to do it or anything.
Dean Roddey
I actually didn't get around to doing this again until a few days ago, this time using the 4.1 release version. FWIW, this issue was still present: I had to manually disable the MSFT Security Essentials real-time scan before the CQC installation would succeed.

JFYI. Even if you did nothing but put a message in the installer suggesting that users disable real-time threat scanning before starting the install, I think it would be a big help so new users don't get stuck at installation.
Oy! Those things are worse than the cure sometimes. Maybe a retry option could be provided.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HAI Driver Issue avtexan 6 4,204 04-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  new server; win7 or win10, or win server rtarver 9 6,861 05-03-2017, 05:17 PM
  CQC server machine died. Trying to restore installation. AceCannon 1 2,465 04-29-2017, 11:15 AM
  Installation Error - dll missing znelbok 1 2,551 04-14-2017, 01:35 PM
  UPB Driver Issue tcmcgec 6 5,875 01-27-2017, 07:18 PM
  Installation error, missing file George M 1 2,533 10-23-2016, 04:31 PM
  Installation Issues with CQC 4.7.1 and WHS V1 kblagron 2 2,503 05-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  My Movies 5 - Another issue MikeA 10 4,018 03-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Last Post: MikeA
  Issue with Sliders or Borg Displays avtexan 3 2,191 01-16-2015, 12:33 PM
  ZWave Installation Help jkmonroe 12 6,107 01-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Last Post: DaveB