Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Questions
I have CQC running some triggered events, and for now that's all I need (plus all my devices). So what is the minimum installation required to accomplish that?

I understand there is a Master Server and the CQC Server. I see the CQCServer running as a process, along with CQCAppShell, CQCDataSrv, CQCGWSrv, CQCRemVSrv, CWCWebSrv, and CQLogicSrv. Is one of these the Master Server?
My Other web server is Dropbox.
The trial mode version of the product is the Gold version, since it's the minimal version that has all of the components. If all you need are events plus the development tools and drivers, then the Bronze plus however many clients you need would be fine. You can always add the All Components option later to it to bring in the other components (Gateway server, Web Server, Logic Server, and RIVA server.) Or you can get the Silver which is the same as the Bronze in terms of components, but just has more clients/drivers.

BTW, though I've not uploaded it yet (it'll go up with the 4.0 release tomorrow) I added more info to the Information page under the Try/Buy section of the web site to help more with this type of decision.

And, BTW if you order before the day is over tomorrow you'll get in on the sale and get a free client license as well.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Sorry about the misunderstanding -- I already have a license. I'm trying to understand the installation process. I'm guessing I need to install the Full Master Server. Or I can install All Components if they don't cost me resources, which relates to ...

My next question is, can I run that on my HTPC computer along with Windows Media Center? Do people routinely do that without running out of resources, or is it strongly discouraged, or do they run CQC in a virtual machine, etc.? I have extra computers, just hate to run one more 24/7 if not necessary.
I have had CQC running under a virtual machine on XP with 512MB before. I have bumped it up to 2048MB recently but that was to support multiple RDP sessions and the IV was a little sluggish at 512MB. I am serving out 2 IV sessions each in it's own RDP session as well as the master server, etc.

CQC tends to spike on resources when it first starts up, (like most apps) then settles down.

This is all on my HTPC which is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit but I use XBMC as my media center.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
wuench Wrote:This is all on my HTPC which is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit but I use XBMC as my media center.

Thanks for the useful information. I am also running XBMC, but I'm thinking of adding PVR capability, and all the cable card tuners require WMC. :-(

I've seen your thread on VMWare, but didn't know what else you were running on that machine. I've used VirtualBox for other purposes, but will try your excellent tutorial.
Yeah, so far I haven't noticed any performance issues with my HTPC. I do have a ReadyNAS though to store all my files. I actually have 2 XP VMs running and 1 Linux VM running Cacti on that machine. XBMC, MyMovies, TMT5 etc on the Windows 7 host itself.

The biggest drawback is that when some performance issue occurs with playback, the first thing I do is start suspecting the VMs. But so far they have all been due to MS updates on Windows 7. I am now very careful about updates of any component.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
wuench Wrote:I do have a ReadyNAS though to store all my files.

I'm using unRaid, (12TB now, expandable to 40TB). Works perfectly.

wuench Wrote:But so far they have all been due to MS updates on Windows 7. I am now very careful about updates of any component.

Same problem with my HTPC. Had to turn off updates and handle them manually.
RichardU Wrote:Sorry about the misunderstanding -- I already have a license. I'm trying to understand the installation process. I'm guessing I need to install the Full Master Server. Or I can install All Components if they don't cost me resources, which relates to ...

If you have a Gold or higher license, you can just install everything since your license covers everything. In modern PC terms the resources consumed is pretty small. But, if you want to do the Fully Custome mode, you can choose what to install and leave out stuff like the XML Gateway, or the Web Server if you have no requirement for it, the RIVA server if you aren't going to use RIVA clients. You can always come back later and enable them.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Basic Z Wave/CQC Integration Question MikeW 6 3,666 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: MikeW
  Philips Hue set up questions Deane Johnson 42 16,355 01-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Simple Clarification Questions Deane Johnson 5 3,163 01-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Questions on Philips Hue Deane Johnson 1 2,150 11-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  2nd Google Hangout - Screen shots & basic how to - Discuss here! batwater 8 4,904 08-31-2013, 11:26 AM
  Z-Wave Door Locks & Other Z-Wave Questions jbh5000 18 7,904 06-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Last Post: jbh5000
  Most basic driver (no real purpose except edu) bbrendon 0 1,434 03-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Last Post: bbrendon
  Basic Digital Signage support Dean Roddey 1 1,952 11-23-2011, 05:23 PM
  Overlay questions dgeffs 7 4,101 06-06-2011, 01:04 PM
  CQC for me? iPod touch interface questions Mukha 14 6,345 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Last Post: potts.mike