Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Have Master Server Specify Default Local Network
Yeah I guess that would be an issue. Selecting an address or registering all of them seems like the only options.

Another option, is multicast or even UPnP. UPnP advertises on a known multicast address. If you beaconed using UPnP, then have the clients pick it up there would be no configuration needed to find services, and you would no longer be tied to subnets. It's really simple since it uses UDP and HTTP/XML to advertise services. If you are worried about multiple master servers on the same subnet you could advertise the unique ID and have the clients pick one at install time, or even select at runtime or via a menu.

For multicast (non UPnP) you would just have to use an address that isn't a known one and maybe allow the user configure it (to avoid conflicts and allow multiple Master Servers). Then run your protocols over it. Multicasts (and UPnP) are non-routable in most consumer setups (multicast routing protocols do exist though, most people are running them).

And if you use UPnP then when IPv6 starts hitting you hopefully won't need to change too much plumbing, just add the link local multicast address it advertises on.

Anyway it seems ideal for what you are trying to do. I realize they are probably major changes but some things to keep in mind for the future.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
TurboSam Wrote:You 'da man!!! Thanks.

Highlighting my complete lack of knowledge regarding network issues, I had no idea that you could set the order... Thanks very much for your help!

I just put up a .20 version. Can you help me make sure that I've dealt with this issue by going back and putting the order back the way it was, restart your system and make sure that the problem is still there. Then upgrade to .20 and leave it in that bad order and make sure that it's no longer a problem? .20 should deal with this issue correctly and not require you to adjust the order of interfaces.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean, I just saw your request, and I'd be happy to test out .20. I should be able to try it tonight...
TurboSam Wrote:Dean, I just saw your request, and I'd be happy to test out .20. I should be able to try it tonight...

OK, thanks. Note that there's no particular advantage to re-doing the rearrangement of the interfaces once you move to .20, so you don't really need to move them back again after you confirm it works. It might make sense to do so just for completeness sake, but CQC won't need it and there won't be any extra hit either way anymore.
Dean Roddey
Dean, everything works fine in .20.

While using .19, I set the order in which the network connections are accessed to make the .192 network last on the preferred list, and master server could not find it. Once I upgraded both computers to .20 (leaving the "bad" order intact), I had no problem and the AppControl on the 192 network was found and worked.

Let me know if I can do anything else.
Nope, that's all I needed to know. That should insure that all will be well for other folks. Thanks.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Event Server Error Bugman 4 252 06-05-2022, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Trigger not Working after Move to new Server & V6.0.7 kblagron 4 470 03-02-2022, 05:35 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Camera Widget - URL, WebURL and Viewing While Not on Local network gReatAutomation 5 1,443 10-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Migrating to New Server gReatAutomation 1 936 06-12-2020, 05:40 PM
  Global Variables in the Event Server context lleo 1 1,066 05-16-2020, 11:21 AM
  Is there a way to change the listening port for the CQC server? ghurty 3 1,233 04-23-2020, 05:54 PM
  Troubleshooting Network Issue zra 7 2,089 04-18-2020, 03:32 AM
Last Post: zra
  Hosted CQC server - Latency zra 4 2,031 01-06-2020, 05:24 AM
Last Post: zra
  CQC Server Closing Connection gReatAutomation 1 1,200 12-19-2019, 01:53 PM
  Moving the CQSL server Dean Roddey 28 7,403 09-03-2019, 05:27 AM