Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Have Master Server Specify Default Local Network
I'm trying to set up a CQC Server with Generic Application Control on a computer that has Logitech's WiLife camera system and the accompanying "internet over power" local network for the cameras (in addition to a traditional wired CAT5 network).

CQC keeps wanting to use the "internet over power" network (172.x.x.x) instead of the primary local network (192.x.x.x). Whenever I unplug the WiLife network, I get my desired results, but if WiLife is operating, CQC latches onto it.

I tried reinstalling CQC (with WiLife unplugged) and setting up a separate binding for the traditional network, but as soon as WiLife is back on, CQC grabs it for the network and then can't find the server or the port. Is there a way to have the master server look for and attach to the 192 network?

Thanks
What version of CQC are you running? You may wanto to try the .19 beta that was just put up, since it attempts to address these name resolution issues. If you are running the .19 beta, I'll move this to the beta section since this may be related to that change, in that each CQC program that advertises its services looks up the local network address and advertises itself on that, and it may be getting that address instead of the one you want (which might mean we have to provide you a way of selecting one explicitly when more than one is available.)
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I'm on .18 now but will go to .19
I moved both the master server and the CQC server/app control to .19 but no change. Whenever I try to access the client server/app control in the field browser, it stalls out and I get an error: CIDOrb_ClientBase.app/377 with the message that the "Server at 172.x.x.x:13507 was not available."

Is there a way to tell the client server not to advertize the 172 network? Or a way to tell the master server what network to look for?

What's odd is that the master server has no physical connection to the "internet over power" 172 network, which is only connected to the one computer (the client server). And when I was setting up the app control on the client server the master server recognized it and listed it in the field browswer (which suggests to me that the network was initially communicating over the 192 network), but once I triggered the event, it decided to latch on the 172....
If you open a command prompt and do this command while the 172 interface is active (on the machine where that interface is active of course):

ipconfig /all

one of the reported interfaces will be shown as (Preferred) beside the IP address. Which one shows that? Does everything work ok with the master server, and just fails when the other computer is involved?
Dean Roddey
Yes, everything seems to work with the master server, and the connection only fails once I plug the USB connector from the internet over power wall wart into the computer with the application control on it.

Not sure I see any "preferred" reference--but the 192 address is listed first as the local connection and the 172 power over ethernet is local connection 2. Here is the dump from the XP machine:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Compaq
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit

Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : ***
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.x.x.x
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:53:23 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 07, 2011 5:53:23 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : USB PowerPacket Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : *
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.158.129
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.x.x.x
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Thanks
OK, as a sanity check, can you follow these instructions to set the local NIC as the preferred interface, then restart and see if that fixes it? If so, then that means we probably do need to let you select the desired NIC during install/upgrade:

Quote:Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl , and then click OK.

You can see the available connections in the LAN and High-Speed Internet section of the Network Connections window. On the Advanced menu, click Advanced Settings, and then click the Adapters and Bindings tab. In the Connections area, select the connection that you want to move higher in the list. Use the arrow buttons to move the connection.

Notes
The Adapters and Bindings tab lists the connections in the order in which the connections are accessed by network services. The order of these connections reflects the order in which TCP/IP or the next available protocol is bound to the network adapters. The bindings for remote access connections apply to all remote access connections.

The Provider Order tab lists the network providers for this computer. You can use the arrow buttons to change the order in which these providers are accessed. You can arrange the order in which the computer accesses information about the network. Providers and other connections are accessed in the order in which the providers and the connections are listed.
Dean Roddey
You 'da man!!! Thanks.

Highlighting my complete lack of knowledge regarding network issues, I had no idea that you could set the order... Thanks very much for your help!
You really should consider binding on all NICs, not a particular one.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
wuench Wrote:You really should consider binding on all NICs, not a particular one.

Actually it does, i.e. listens on the Any address. But this isn't about the binding on the server, it's about the address that is advertised on the name server to come find the advertised program. That program has to register the address that others should use to come find it. So it gets it's local address and registers that. It needs to find the appropriate one, which normally would be the local network address. But obviously not always.

So I'll just enumerate the NICs and let them select one and use whatever address it's on. Of course I could just look for one with a non-routable address, but that might not always be the right one either though it probably would almost always be right.

Name lookup was supposed to avoid all this, and that's what CQC used to do, just register the host name. But, as we've learned to our dismay, all too often the name as reported by the local machine isn't right due to this or that DHCP wierdness or whatever, and there's a lot more name lookup going on as well. So I changed to just register the address instead. But it needs to get the right address.

It'll actually be somewhat rare that they'll have to make a selection, since most machines aren't multi-homed. And, the other thing I can do is look up the master server, which still needs to be done during installation/upgrade, and and it has to work before the upgrade/install can continue. If it is successfully contacted the MS, then I can just look at the local IP address I ended up connecting from. That has to be the right one. So I can just look up the NIC that is associated with it and remember that as the one to use until such time as it might be changed in a subsequent upgrade.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Event Server Error Bugman 4 246 06-05-2022, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Trigger not Working after Move to new Server & V6.0.7 kblagron 4 468 03-02-2022, 05:35 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Camera Widget - URL, WebURL and Viewing While Not on Local network gReatAutomation 5 1,442 10-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Migrating to New Server gReatAutomation 1 934 06-12-2020, 05:40 PM
  Global Variables in the Event Server context lleo 1 1,065 05-16-2020, 11:21 AM
  Is there a way to change the listening port for the CQC server? ghurty 3 1,233 04-23-2020, 05:54 PM
  Troubleshooting Network Issue zra 7 2,086 04-18-2020, 03:32 AM
Last Post: zra
  Hosted CQC server - Latency zra 4 2,025 01-06-2020, 05:24 AM
Last Post: zra
  CQC Server Closing Connection gReatAutomation 1 1,198 12-19-2019, 01:53 PM
  Moving the CQSL server Dean Roddey 28 7,392 09-03-2019, 05:27 AM